Topic: "Failure to establish game data directory" in Gentoo

Hey all - I just tried to install Neverball on my new Gentoo installation, and it keeps saying "Failure to establish game data directory" every time I try to play the game as anyone except root. I don't know what the problem is - my normal user is in the games group, and the home directory isn't read-only or anything. Anyone got any ideas?

Re: "Failure to establish game data directory" in Gentoo

Make sure the data directory permissions have been set up properly.  (Most commonly it's 0755 for directories and 0644 for files.)

Oops - I thought it meant it couldn't write the .neverball directory in my home directory. It meant it couldn't write in /usr/share/games/neverball. I chmod'ed it, and it works great now. Thanks! big_smile

are you in the games group?

ZeroG wrote:

Oops - I thought it meant it couldn't write the .neverball directory in my home directory. It meant it couldn't write in /usr/share/games/neverball. I chmod'ed it, and it works great now. Thanks! big_smile

The game doesn't need write access to the data directory.  I suppose there was a problem with *read* access.

6 (edited by ZeroG 2006-12-13 07:04:14)

@epsy: Yes, I did make sure I was in the games group first (although that is a good point)

@parasti: I'm sure you're right - I've occasionally ran into that with ebuilds where it wouldn't let my normal user read stuff. I didn't notice it here because I could read the binary just fine - it was the data directory that went wrong. Anyway, thanks again for the help.

And, I also just realized that I posted this in the wrong Technical Support Forum yikes. Sorry about that!