Topic: How am I supposed to do Adventure?

If you will forgive me for editing the save file to "complete" all the levels (I did that before I realized how to mark the levels as "incomplete but unlocked")... I have been trying to do Nevermania 16, Adventure, and I usually end up trying something as seen in the "start" replay. I can reach the goal, but not with 250 coins.
    I can see a way to get one of the switches unlocked, but of course that makes the ball smaller, and there seems to be a very limited supply of grow/shrink coins so the main trick does not work. See "idea" replay.
    Smaller hints are preferred over detailed solutions.

Post's attachments

fwp-16_idea?.nbr 363.11 kb, 9 downloads since 2019-09-08 

fwp_16_start.nbr 1.02 mb, 9 downloads since 2019-09-08 

http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?pid=34398  The Levels Are Here!!!

Name pronounced /tʃə.ˈmɑd/ ("chuh-mod") followed by the digits "seven zero zero".

Re: How am I supposed to do Adventure?

chmod 700 wrote:

I can see a way to get one of the switches unlocked, but of course that makes the ball smaller, and there seems to be a very limited supply of grow/shrink coins so the main trick does not work.

There are two shrink items and two grow items in the level, so your options in terms of ball size progression are:

• Normal → Small → Normal → Big → Normal

• Normal → Big → Normal → Small → Normal

• Normal → Small → Normal → Small → Normal

• Normal → Big → Normal → Big → Normal

OK, I found the other grow item. The third and fourth options are unrealistic: the shrink item on the two pipes requires a large ball or else you fall off, but I also need to have a small ball in order to press that one switch. (This reminds me of Hard V, although in that level I know the solution for getting all coins, but I have yet to pull it off.)
    Would you mind revealing the total number of coins in the level? (It looks like around 400.)

http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?pid=34398  The Levels Are Here!!!

Name pronounced /tʃə.ˈmɑd/ ("chuh-mod") followed by the digits "seven zero zero".

4 (edited by dtb 2019-09-10 08:55:05)

chmod 700 wrote:

OK, I found the other grow item. The third and fourth options are unrealistic: the shrink item on the two pipes requires a large ball or else you fall off, but I also need to have a small ball in order to press that one switch. (This reminds me of Hard V, although in that level I know the solution for getting all coins, but I have yet to pull it off.)
    Would you mind revealing the total number of coins in the level? (It looks like around 400.)

In the good old days of the Nevertable it was easy to evaluate the amount of most coins for literally every official level just by checking out the respective record for it. You could also download the corresponding replay(s). Sure it was a major spoiler but also a unique source of never-ending inspiration offering various possibilities how to solve a level in the best time or/and with the most coins. Elviz dominated the Nevertable overall but never contributed records for his own Nevermania levels as far as I remember (that's the only reason I could also enter this "Hall of Fame" at a time with a record for "ramps"). Nowadays all we've got are protonspring's cheesy replays on YT*... it's a shame.

I think 400 is a good guess.

Cheers

dtb

* which I highly recommend you shouldn't watch if you really enjoy finding out about the secrets and solutions on your own and also prefer playing this game at the speed it was meant to be

chmod 700 wrote:

Yes, it's exactly 400.

dtb wrote:

In the good old days of the Nevertable it was easy to evaluate the amount of most coins for literally every official level just by checking out the respective record for it.

For Nevermania levels, it's even easier. The Hard preset in the Most Coins high-score table always corresponds to the total amount of coins in that level. I think this also holds true for Neverball Easy, Neverball Medium, Neverball Hard and Tones Levels.

Another way of finding out is to compile the level in question with mapc and look at the output (which includes this information in the first line).