Topic: Was a Super Monkey Ball Deluxe champion, finally tried Neverball.

Yeah, it's really amazing how this game satisfies that nostalgic itch. It's different enough to be fresh but similar enough to satiate that aching nostalgia I've felt for about 5 or 6 years now.

I used to play Super Monkey Ball Deluxe from when I was about 8 to about 16, and now I'm 22. It's been hard on me, fondly remembering the times I had, especially since I beat every level in the game, including the Master stages and their extras. (Master 13 and 19 took hundreds of tries to beat.)

I heard about Neverball for at least a couple years but it's beyond me why I never actually tried it. Just today did I download it and download most of the custom map packs and I gotta say that it's a bunch of pure delight to play.

I like traversing skinny pathways ala Exam-C and one of the maps had a plural amount of goals, and on the first try, I made it across the skinny path to the final goal. Satisfying.

I finished the Easy and Medium stages with my keyboard as it's easier to play with the arrow keys than the mouse, although I'm going to eventually use a controller to fully relive the SMB experience.

How's everyone's experiences with Neverball gone?

Re: Was a Super Monkey Ball Deluxe champion, finally tried Neverball.

It's awesome that you found this game, welcome to the forums! smile

Download my levels here: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=3147
Progress: 74/100

KodeBreaker wrote:

I smiled at your response and then I saw 'KodeBreaker' and screamed 'OH IT'S KODEBREAKER!' out loud.

I'd literally be dreaming about having the Super Monkey Ball Deluxe PS2 disc and popping it into the console and hearing the music. I feel a lot happier after re-discovering this game.

I think I'm going to tackle the Hard stages just about now. I'm always one for a really fiendish challenge so I'll probably have a LOT of fun.

KodeBreaker wrote:

The difficulty curve is madness. Lots of fun trying to beat these stages. Couldn't go 'Challenge Mode' on Hard.

Christian Teegardin wrote:
KodeBreaker wrote:

The difficulty curve is madness. Lots of fun trying to beat these stages. Couldn't go 'Challenge Mode' on Hard.

Finally beat the moving maze with the holes. That level is excruciatingly difficult and I literally flipped the bird after beating it.

KodeBreaker wrote:

Finally beat the moving maze with the holes. That level is excruciatingly difficult and I literally flipped the bird after beating it.

Level 16 was just as mind-numbingly hard. Beat it though.

7 (edited by Christian Teegardin 2019-04-26 07:06:25)

Got stuck on Level 18. Difficulty level went beyond what I find practical. The speed that you have to achieve to get through the obstacles is insane to the point that instead of frustration, I'm going 'this is stupid.'

Edit:

I used the cheat code to unlock all levels so I can play the levels I want and ignore the ones I hate, e.g. the maze, the sliding floors, and the speed timing stuff.

Edit 2:

I'm going to highly minimize my Neverball gameplay until I buy myself a PC-compatible joystick. I might end up getting carpal tunnel syndrome if I keep the maddening hand movements up.

8 (edited by Christian Teegardin 2019-04-26 21:05:09)

Got stuck on Level 18. Difficulty level went beyond what I find practical. The speed that you have to achieve to get through the obstacles is insane to the point that instead of frustration, I'm going 'this is stupid.'

Edit:

I used the cheat code to unlock all levels so I can play the levels I want and ignore the ones I hate, e.g. the maze, the sliding floors, and the speed timing stuff.

Edit 2:

I'm going to highly minimize my Neverball gameplay until I buy myself a PC-compatible joystick. I might end up getting carpal tunnel syndrome if I keep the maddening hand movements up.

Found out I prefer less difficult stages that aren't exactly easy. Low stress limit. Controller might help me finish tougher stages.

Can agree that a gamepad with an analog stick makes this game so much easier to control.

That maze level with the sliding floor makes me go ARRGH! I've only beat it twice.