Topic: Teleport ideas

chmod 700 wrote:

I could see levels involving deliberately falling out after pressing a switch so that you return to the checkpoint. However, I wonder if there should be a configurable time penalty.

Put a teleport that goes back to the starting point. Same result but without dodgy game mechanics.

Re: Teleport ideas

In fact, I used the mechanics of teleports going to the start (or, rather, the start of a particular phase) on one of my levels, but unfortunately, the teleports preserve relative position. So if you have a radius-20 teleport, the ball could end up appearing in any point within 20 meters of the starting point. My solution was to add many small teleporters, but that leaves open the possibility of weak spots accidentally not covered by any teleporter. (Plus, it dramatically increases the number of objects and particles drawn. Even though they are visually covered, there is no way to set a teleporter invisible that I know of.)

http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?pid=34398  The Levels Are Here!!!

Name pronounced /tʃə.ˈmɑd/ ("chuh-mod") followed by the digits "seven zero zero".

chmod 700 wrote:

In fact, I used the mechanics of teleports going to the start (or, rather, the start of a particular phase) on one of my levels, but unfortunately, the teleports preserve relative position. So if you have a radius-20 teleport, the ball could end up appearing in any point within 20 meters of the starting point. My solution was to add many small teleporters, but that leaves open the possibility of weak spots accidentally not covered by any teleporter. (Plus, it dramatically increases the number of objects and particles drawn. Even though they are visually covered, there is no way to set a teleporter invisible that I know of.)

This is the reason why I think checkpoints would be a great idea

Download my levels here: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=3147
Progress: 74/100

chmod 700 wrote:

unfortunately, the teleports preserve relative position. So if you have a radius-20 teleport, the ball could end up appearing in any point within 20 meters of the starting point.

This is true and a point I hadn't considered.

I split this topic from the checkpoint thread. There are a couple of ideas regarding teleports that I think should be discussed and implemented in the game.

• Ability to teleport to the exact mapper-specified position (facing in the mapper-specified direction?). I don't think the current behavior should be removed because it allows for interesting mapping/playing. But the option should be there.

• Invisible (and silent) teleporters. This might open really, really crazy possibilities in mapping as well as gameplay as it would allow a mapper to instantly move a player to another location (that might look exactly the same or slightly different or completely different).

• Ability to reset ball speed and floor tilt after teleporting? Might go hand in hand with both of the ideas above.

Unfortunately, the timer keeps running when you are mid-teleport but func_train paths are paused. This is bad because in one of my levels there was a func_train that was tuned to the level's timer, but you would teleport several (and an unpredictable number of) times before reaching that point, and the func_train desynchronized from the timer.
    I saw somewhere that keeping the level timer running was intended, so therefore it seems natural that func_trains should continue. Or perhaps this can be a setting in the worldspawn (in case a level depended on the old version).

Name pronounced /tʃə.ˈmɑd/ ("chuh-mod") followed by the digits "seven zero zero".

About teleport ideas: another one might be to have teleports that move. Or more importantly, either (a) figuring out how to put path_corners inside func_trains, or (b) allowing you to set the target position to a func_train; perhaps with a specified "offset" field on the teleporter.