Topic: New backround ideas!

1. Perhaps a backround that makes the level look like it's in the middle of a tree.

2. and maybe a backround with a spider web

3. I like the space backround, maybe there could be a backround with a night sky full of stars!

Re: New backround ideas!

Some great ideas bulinger96!
Here's some ideas for backgrounds that I think would be interesting to see in Neverball:

• A dense jungle with lots of plantation and maybe a waterfall in it.

• An icy background with lots of snow and ice and maybe some penguins.

• A nice sunset background with castles in the distance.

• A hot, arid desert.

• An Egyptian theme with pyramids in the background.

• And also a really cool one would to be a futuristic background with animated graphic equalizers going! (much like my forum avatar)

What about one with lots of thwomps and a really big thwomp at the top thats looking down at the ball?

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988
avatar drawn with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled down with GIMP
にほんご べんきょう する。 (i am studying japanese)

what about a bee hive?

I smell some good ideas here.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

6 (edited by Arceus 2010-09-29 11:31:38)

Perhaps a bonus level background almost like this:
http://oi55.tinypic.com/2hzu7b5.jpg
My response to bulinger96's #3, everything except the halo on the right was  made by modifying stars.

A signature?
Now why would I need one of those?

How do I make and post my own backgrounds?

It's kind of like making levels, but a little more "abstract" if you will. You'll need to use radiant.
Here's a description from the wiki on how they work: wiki environment page

radient....?

10 (edited by tonesfrommars 2010-10-04 17:34:53)

Go to the wiki page on level creation
There you will find info on GtkRadiant, level creation, and environment design.

However I think that at least the original backgrounds were designed differently:

the wiki environment page wrote:

Despite the fact that a background is simply a .MAP file editable in GtkRadiant, all of the background files were automatically generated. This includes the evenly-spaced mountains and clouds of clouds.map, the random distribution of stars in jupiter.map and alien.map, and the scattering of waves in ocean.map and alien.map. This code is long lost, as I considered it disposable from the outset. The point is that anybody looking to define new backgrounds is going to have to do some programming.

... That just made making backgrounds a LOT harder sad

A signature?

smile
Didn't want to scare you off, I'm sure you can get nice results with the level editor radiant too...

Just play around a bit, I think you can get very far with clever copy-pasting / search & replacing! Good luck!

14 (edited by Cheeseness 2010-10-07 22:10:05)

I've been writing mine in a text editor...
(I wrote some plane generation code that was meant to evenly tile an image with appropriate normals, but it didn't give the results I was after, so I've eyeballed everything since).

You specify images in terms of distance, azimuth and rotation (known as Spherical Coordinates). In addition, you can give them a scale and a looping stretch/transform/movement animation (see the waves in most of the original backgrounds, the meteor in my volcano background and the jet/contrails in hills).

My advice: if you're not sure, open up a .map file for a background that does something you're interested in, delete some bits out/make some adjustments and see what happens smile

I'd always wanted to expand the wiki entry. I was considering writing a howto when I finish the antarctic background I'm working on.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Cheeseness wrote:

I was considering writing a howto when I finish the antarctic background I'm working on.

Antarctic background? I'll be looking forward to that! big_smile

I trust it will include some northern lights?

The northern lights are in the arctic, silly! smile

A signature?

Haha! You've got a point there. ;P

Yeah, animated aurora is the 'feature piece' at this point big_smile

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

20 (edited by KodeBreaker 2018-11-18 14:33:50)

Some of these are really cool ideas. If someone actually makes these backgrounds, I could make the songs for them! smile

A waterfall background would be cool too!

Download my levels here: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=3147
Progress: Medium: 25/25    Hard: 20/25    Expert: 17/25