Re: Neverball Extreme

adacrop wrote:

Attention Neverballers, October 2018 introduces 4 brand new high difficulty sets called Neverball Extreme I-IV......

By now I have completed all 75 levels of Extreme I, II and III. Some levels are really outstanding and truly original. Hands down not since reshaun offered his numerous, gorgeous contributions to the community I have
been that impressed. Here's a comprehensive list of my favourite levels.

Extreme I:
2, 5, II (my favourite level in this set and overall until now), 12, III, 13, 19

Extreme II:
1, 2, I, 5 (favourite level in this set), 16, IV, 17, V

Extreme III:
3, I, 8, 9, 13, 15 (boring as hell but there's something to it - perhaps it would be more fun and a bigger challenge if the platform constantly sped up while it is ascending), IV, 17 (favourite level in this set), 20, V (the spiral could really be shorter...)

For whatever reason the clockwork versions didn't work on my machine (I tried to play it with Neverball Clockwork-1604) but nevertheless I enjoyed these sets a lot and really looking forward now starting Extreme IV...

Enclosed some replays!

Cheers

dtb

Post's attachments

extreme2nc-05_01.nbr 2.85 mb, 2 downloads since 2018-11-02 

extreme2nc-II_01.nbr 1.29 mb, 2 downloads since 2018-11-02 

extremenc-02_01.nbr 190.73 kb, 2 downloads since 2018-11-02 

extremenc-12_01.nbr 2.32 mb, 2 downloads since 2018-11-02 

extremenc-II_01.nbr 3.59 mb, 2 downloads since 2018-11-02 

Enclosed more replays!

Cheers

dtb

Post's attachments

extreme2nc-IV_02.nbr 301.01 kb, 2 downloads since 2018-11-02 

extreme3nc-09_01.nbr 351.49 kb, 2 downloads since 2018-11-02 

extreme3nc-17_01.nbr 1.15 mb, 2 downloads since 2018-11-02 

extreme3nc-20_01.nbr 4.88 mb, 3 downloads since 2018-11-02 

LOOK, WHAT I DISCOVERED!

Post's attachments

UG.nbr 296.63 kb, 6 downloads since 2018-11-03 

DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT, LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE
NEVERBRICK

chmod 700 wrote:

OK. I tried several times to get the clockwork build installed but the make failed on my Ubuntu. So I downloaded the non-clockwork version.

In order for the clocks to work in Neverball, you have to download CSY's modified Neverball build. (1.6.0.4)

To do this is download the Windows Binaries and save it to the Neverball root directory.

Then, there will be a file (I think it's called NeverballClockwork or something, I forgot), click on it and there will be a prompt to extract files.

Extract the files to the nb root directory.

All your previous progress will be saved, it will just be able to run the clocks in the game.

Download my levels here: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=3147
Progress: Medium: 14/25    Hard: 7/25    Expert: 11/25

55 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2018-11-04 00:00:37)

Project Clockwork must be compiled separately, if using source code. No new dependencies are added compared to the primary project.

It is also worth pointing out that your user directory folder will be named neverball-dev, not just neverball.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

Ubuntu is a Linux operating system. I tried to run the exe but it opened Archive Manager and said "An error occurred while loading the archive". I tried changing the permissions to no avail. It might have something to do with the fact that I was playing Neverball while I waited on the long download.

Level set progress (88%):
01 02 03 04 I  05 06 07 08 II   09 10 11 12 III   13 14 15 16 IV   17 18? 19 20 V
(red = in-progress, bold+green = complete)

57 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2018-11-04 00:29:04)

chmod 700 wrote:

Ubuntu is a Linux operating system. I tried to run the exe...

Yep. EXE files Windows binaries. Compiling from source (which is platform neutral) remains the best option.

I want to say Neverball's installation instructions should be sufficient for someone with some [technical] experience in compiling, but it may not be sufficient for beginners.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lphysfs
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:433: recipe for target 'neverball' failed
make: *** [neverball] Error 1

01 02 03 04 I  05 06 07 08 II   09 10 11 12 III   13 14 15 16 IV   17 18? 19 20 V

59 (edited by dtb 2018-11-04 13:34:10)

Yesterday I have successfully completed the 25 levels of Extreme IV, here's my best-of list for this set:

3, 6, II, 13, IV, 17, 19, V

Notes:

1 and 2 are also good, but 1 could use more coins (or less time) and  2 is way too predictable, perhaps the platforms could gain speed or change directions after a while

3  is my favourite level in this set, I really like that there are multiple ways how to overcome that tall barrier, see enclosed ...spoiler!

II  gave me a hard time at the beginning but then I watched my old replays of RDF V and remembered that it's actually possible to fly in any direction you want to (no matter where the arrow is pointing to), enclosed my fast-unlock-replay ...spoiler!

IV  really love the build of this level but imo you should at least place a subtle hint, pointing out which one's the right switch - otherwise it's just trial & error (and it's only frustrating and not so challenging to test 36 switches), enclosed a replay ...in this case: ultimate spoiler!

17  very good, original concept but something's lacking here... perhaps various obstacles, ramps or similar stuff could be added on each of those stacked lanes for more difficulty

19  I agree with others: this is one of the best levels, very special and atmospheric

V  ...some say it's too long, I'd rather call it epic!

Finally managed to get the clockwork versions running as well. Will try them tonight and already curious what difference it makes to play these levels with altered time limits.

Cheers

dtb

Post's attachments

extreme4nc-03_02.nbr 1.27 mb, 2 downloads since 2018-11-04 

extreme4nc-03_04.nbr 1.91 mb, 2 downloads since 2018-11-04 

extreme4nc-13_05.nbr 1.15 mb, 2 downloads since 2018-11-04 

extreme4nc-II_01.nbr 2.57 mb, 3 downloads since 2018-11-04 

extreme4nc-IV_01.nbr 1.63 mb, 2 downloads since 2018-11-04 

Ummm... in the version of extreme4 V that I downloaded, I got stuck in this one glass cage with the green platform and two rings of 10's on the outside with the timer switch near the edge. Pressing the switch made a glass cube appear, but I could not enter it because the base platform was above the ground.
    I waited for three minutes and nothing ever changed. Pressing the switch repeatedly did nothing. It would be nice if either (1) there was some indication of trickery in that cage, or (2) the cube reset to its original position after a few seconds of being done.
    And given the fact that it took me no less than eight minutes and a bit of luck just to get there, I am not really in the mood to just try again.

61 (edited by dtb 2018-11-04 15:29:47)

chmod 700 wrote:

Ummm... in the version of extreme4 V that I downloaded, I got stuck in this one glass cage with the green platform and two rings of 10's on the outside with the timer switch near the edge. Pressing the switch made a glass cube appear, but I could not enter it because the base platform was above the ground.
    I waited for three minutes and nothing ever changed. Pressing the switch repeatedly did nothing. It would be nice if either (1) there was some indication of trickery in that cage, or (2) the cube reset to its original position after a few seconds of being done.
    And given the fact that it took me no less than eight minutes and a bit of luck just to get there, I am not really in the mood to just try again.

Same here:
When I first got to the mentioned glass cage, after activating the switch it took me too long to get into the glass cube and so it travelled along without me...  I waited for minutes for it to return, activated the switch again, waited and waited but nothing happened, it didn't return. I made the same mistake when hitting the switch for the big "travelling cross sign".  I didn't get on it in time (still collecting coins in the glass cage where the switch is located)  and so it flew away without me. I waited and waited again but it didn't return as well. That was pure frustration and so annoying.

Perhaps the accompanying switches for the glass cube and the big cross sign could just disappear or turn into spitefully grinning  thwomps when there's no more chance that these vehicles will come back to pick you up, idea?

Finally  I made it - with no more ambition to collect all coins - as you can see in my enclosed replay for this level.
All the jittering comes from playing with the keys and as a regular chase-camera player I even had to switch to manual-camera in game to be able to overcome that steep straight (right after the moving blocks) and that made me nervous as hell as I'm not used to anymore to apply angled acceleration for more than a few seconds...

Cheers

dtb

Post's attachments

extreme4nc-V_01.nbr 15.74 mb, 3 downloads since 2018-11-04 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzNLBtvVRdI

DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT, LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE
NEVERBRICK