1

Topic: The manual camera is easier for me

Hello, everyone...

You want to know something about me, right? Well, looking around it seems that most people default to the chase camera, only using manual for angled acceleration and other tricks.
I actually find the manual camera the easiest. Perhaps that is because I only really ever used chase when dealing with levels where speed is more important than precision, like Retour de Force 1 and KodeBreaker Easy 1. The manual camera gives me more control, and as an added bonus, I have gotten "turn 45 degrees and use angled deceleration" as an automatic when approaching a hazard.

I am designing a level set, and for this reason I think several among you will find it more difficult, because they were designed and tested my someone fluent in manual camera and not in chase, but for an audience fluent in chase and less so in manual.

(NetRadiant is sort of hard to interact with... like, one annoyance is that the curve tool creates like 60 brushes which clutters the entity list...)

In particular, this makes levels like iLevels Suite 16 very difficult, because I have to shift between a manual-camera zone and one that is easier with the chase camera, and there is not much time to do that.

http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?pid=34398 Code to generate levels... interesting...
The only other unfinished level, V, will come after I do all the others. I have a reason for this.

Name pronounced /tʃə.ˈmɑd/ ("chuh-mod") followed by the digits "seven zero zero".

2

Re: The manual camera is easier for me

chmod 700 wrote:

I am designing a level set, and for this reason I think several among you will find it more difficult, because they were designed and tested my someone fluent in manual camera and not in chase, but for an audience fluent in chase and less so in manual.

I can't wait, especially if it's going to be a hard one! smile

Download my levels here: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=3147
Progress: Medium: 25/25    Hard: 20/25    Expert: 17/25

3

Re: The manual camera is easier for me

if you make your set based around angled acceleration i think you should say so in the lvlset description, maybe mentioning the help menu for the angled acc tip. Dave's lvls are good for practicing angled acc

Spoiler

small tip if you decide to use it: maybe you could mention angled acc in the lvlset description and not in the lvl messages, to help make the player have to figure out where to use angled acc.

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988
avatar drawn with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled down with GIMP
にほんご べんきょう する。 (i am studying japanese)

4

Re: The manual camera is easier for me

chmod 700 wrote:

(NetRadiant is sort of hard to interact with... like, one annoyance is that the curve tool creates like 60 brushes which clutters the entity list...)

You can use func_train as a grouping mechanism for lumps. Then, you can even name your group in the entity list via the targetname attrib.

5

Re: The manual camera is easier for me

It the it wrote:

if you make your set based around angled acceleration i think you should say so in the lvlset description, maybe mentioning the help menu for the angled acc tip. Dave's lvls are good for practicing angled acc

Spoiler

small tip if you decide to use it: maybe you could mention angled acc in the lvlset description and not in the lvl messages, to help make the player have to figure out where to use angled acc.

OK, I think I mis-typed up there.
    I just default to using the manual camera on most levels, even if there are no tricks like angled acceleration to be found. I might feature angled acceleration on one or two levels but it will not be a main feature of the set.
    It is just that I might accidentally make it too hard because I think "yes, that is possible, I just did it" without realizing that I instinctively used AA on a tricky part.

http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?pid=34398 Code to generate levels... interesting...
The only other unfinished level, V, will come after I do all the others. I have a reason for this.

Name pronounced /tʃə.ˈmɑd/ ("chuh-mod") followed by the digits "seven zero zero".

6

Re: The manual camera is easier for me

Spoiler

It is just that I might accidentally make it too hard because I think "yes, that is possible, I just did it" without realizing that I instinctively used AA on a tricky part.

if you wanted i think you could try making a set with all or many lvls based on angledacc b/c ctoan's lvls are based on freestyle techniques like angledacc, edge-bump jumping, corner jumping,etc. in these lvls the freestyle is hard, esp #4 (edgebump.map) and #6 (narrow_acrobatics.map). then again there are only 7 lvls in this set tongue

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988
avatar drawn with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled down with GIMP
にほんご べんきょう する。 (i am studying japanese)

7

Re: The manual camera is easier for me

parasti wrote:
chmod 700 wrote:

(NetRadiant is sort of hard to interact with... like, one annoyance is that the curve tool creates like 60 brushes which clutters the entity list...)

You can use func_train as a grouping mechanism for lumps. Then, you can even name your group in the entity list via the targetname attrib.

Yeah, I figured this out eventually. On the map I am building, I have 73 func_trains and 8 info_camps, and I used targetname to make things easier on me.

http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?pid=34398 Code to generate levels... interesting...
The only other unfinished level, V, will come after I do all the others. I have a reason for this.

Name pronounced /tʃə.ˈmɑd/ ("chuh-mod") followed by the digits "seven zero zero".

8

Re: The manual camera is easier for me

Do you have a review of the set

How ya doin?

9 (edited by chmod 700 2018-08-08 13:09:12)

Re: The manual camera is easier for me

    Not yet. I might wait until I release the actual set or come close to it. But it should be a full 25-level set with 5 bonus levels. And I will make sure that I beat or come close to all 75 hard records (to confirm that they are actually possible).

http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?pid=34398 Code to generate levels... interesting...
The only other unfinished level, V, will come after I do all the others. I have a reason for this.

Name pronounced /tʃə.ˈmɑd/ ("chuh-mod") followed by the digits "seven zero zero".