1 (edited by Craven 2017-08-14 13:13:15)

Topic: Nevermania coins challenge

I play this game mostly because I am curious how to get all those coins, especially in those crazy Nevermania levels. But some coins are just too difficult for me to reach. And in some of these cases there aren't even any replays to show you how to get there if you were good enough. This is why I start this challenge.

There are four different conditions under which your replay satisfies this challenge:
1. You collect all coins in the level on time, as with a standard most coins replay.
2. You collect a very difficult coin and reach the (unlocked) goal. Use the menu option to unlock the goal if it is too difficult otherwise. (Not that this helps much in most Nevermania levels.)
3. You collect the coin and return to a safe place in the level. Finishing not required.
4. You collect the coin in an "unsafe" way.

Don't discount conditions 2-4, because these steps help you to improve your game! For example, I've attached a replay for the blue coin on the "dead" ladybug in level 18. Maybe next time, I'll manage to stop the ball!

This is basically a personal contest, where you compete against your own previous results. So less experienced players can join in too, as long as they have access to the Nevermania levels in some way. Nevermania 5 (with the fake thwomp) is a good level to start in this case: Try to collect the red and blue coins in the back of the level!

There exist most coins replays for many levels to give you hints, including levels 1 to 6, 10 (confetti maze), and 14 (moving discs). Level 9 (mountain) has been solved for an older version of the level, but the new one is not much different. For level 11 (crane), the best replay fails to collect the fourth blue coin in the last box, but the principle seems clear.

Now, here are the coins that I'm especially interested in:
- Level 12 (moving ramps): the two blue coins near the goal and anything else on upper ramps
- Level 15 (ufo): blue coins on rocks, anything past the first barrier (and how to cross it)
- Level 16: blue and yellow coins in pink glass pyramid (the one that uau didn't show how to get)
- Level 18 (ladybugs): blue coin on top of dead (upside down) bug
- Level 19 (timers): blue coin "hanging" in the small cage/lamp

Post's attachments

fwp-18_04_Craven.nbr 148.85 kb, 19 downloads since 2017-08-12 

Re: Nevermania coins challenge

Hi Craven,

Getting the blue coins on the rocks in lvl 15:

Spoiler

(see spoiler text attachment

Hope this helps,
--It the it

Post's attachments

spoilertext8_12_17.txt 629 b, 19 downloads since 2017-08-12 

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988

I created my avatar with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled it down with GIMP.

Thanks!

That was easier than I thought. I've attached a replay with my best progress in this level. This includes a way past the first barrier (spoilers!).

It seems like the true challenge to get all coins in lvl 15 is not reaching the blue coins, but moving around on the ufo to collect all yellow and red ones.

What is your progress in this level, It the it? Have you finished it? Has one?

Post's attachments

fwp-15_03_Craven.nbr 988.63 kb, 17 downloads since 2017-08-13 

I agree with you that the real challenge in collecting the coins is in getting all of the red and yellow ones.

As for my progress in the level: I have pretty much mastered the first obstacle composed of small thwomp faces. At the second obstacle, I usually either fall out immediately after activating the switch or fail to do it. Therefore, I have not yet figured out the next obstacle, though I have an idea of how to do it. This is partially why I did not mention any coins after the first barrier. (The other reason is that I forgot.)

Thank you for the warning about spoilers. I plan to watch your replay once I finish the level.

--It the it
P.S. Only 25 more posts until the next rank, SometimesBall!  smile smile

6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988

If you can get past the small thwomps, you should be skilled enough to safely activate the switch, too. At least it didn't take me that long to figure out.

I'm stuck at the third (very cool!) obstacle after unsuccessfully trying several things to get by. This might require a quick move around the ufo, which I can't manage without falling off.

I'm quite certain now that there are no coins after the first barrier, also because the in-game highscore ranking lists a maximum of 70. With some practice I might be able to get 30 from the ufo plus the two blue coins. Just enough to unlock.

But I'll try the other levels first. Here's my progress (replays on request):
- Lvl 12: Got the two blue coins & finished. Also saw the remaining coin above that. Might be doable as well.
- Lvl 16: I can reach the platform with the switch surrounded by a ring of coins with the large ball, but cannot get to the teleporter (or anywhere) from there. Same thing with small or normal ball.
- Lvl 18: I'll add this to the list of "interesting" coins. Although I've now managed to land on the dead bug, getting back is more difficult than I thought.

I have grown sick of this level to the point that I hate it. Since I refuse to use Cheat Mode, I have been struggling with it indefinitely.

In the attached replay I reach the goal without attempting to collect coins beforehand. Now that I have bothered to get the hang of collecting them, I cannot pass the final barrier again. I though the replay would help you solve the level sooner while I continue to struggle.

When I attempt your challenges playing this level after solving it, I will gleefully fallout in front of the first barrier partially because there are no coins beyond the first wave.

--It the it

Post's attachments

fwp-15_07_notnuffcoinssad.nbr 1.43 mb, 11 downloads since 2017-09-23 

Congrats for reaching the goal! Now we at least know how to solve this level.

If you don't "cheat", does that mean you haven't played lvls 16-20 yet?

I have made some progress too (again replays on request):
- lvl 12: Completed. This is not too difficult once you get used to they rhythmic movement of the ramps.
- lvl 18: I've managed to collect all coins in one go (including the blue on the dead bug), but unfortunately failed to reach the goal. But this is possible with some practice.
- lvl 19: I now know how to collect the coin behind the "I" barriers. But I still need to figure out the correct trigger sequences for the other barriers (coin II and switches 1 and 2). The coin near the lamp might be accessible by riding on one of the buoys.

This leaves only the coins in the "adventure" (lvl 16). Can anyone give me a clue?

Btw, some of the blue coins in RTF V also give me trouble:
- the string of blue coins at the bottom of the level (possibly unreachable)
- the pair of blue coins high above one of the platforms

Craven wrote:

I have not played these levels recently, though I have played them in cheat mode a few years ago. Now I am trying to not re-spoil them for myself.

Partially why I have not been able to reach the goal again is that in the replay I dodge the lasers in a manner sort of accidental in a way, using a method that I only presumed would work. I somehow managed to keep the ball on the verge of falling out, meaning the lasers skimmed the top of the ball. This is hard for me to replicate.

Also note that I am solving the level keyboard-style. I saw in your replay that you had an easier time than me in keeping the ball near the edge of the ufo; to do this I have to make several careful "ticks" with the arrow keys. Your method of passing the first barrier was completely different from mine (and had considerably fewer inputs), as seen in our replays. I will probably end up using the mouse for this level even though I am an accustomed keyboard player. (Speaking of this, I am also trying to transition to playing with the mouse overall.)

Thx for mentioning those coins in RTF V. Figuring them out will be a nice break from crazy Nevermania 15.  smile

--It the it

It the it wrote:
Craven wrote:

I have not played these levels recently, though I have played them in cheat mode a few years ago. Now I am trying to not re-spoil them for myself.

I can relate to that. I still have the replay of RTF 20 with which I finally managed to unlock RTF V. Now I just edit the score files whenever I'm stuck in the middle of a level set.

It the it wrote:

I saw in your replay that you had an easier time than me in keeping the ball near the edge of the ufo

Balancing near the edge is one thing, quickly moving around the ufo is much more difficult. I'm currently trying to collect all coins in Nevermania 14, which might be good training for 15, too. While the gliding discs are flat, they quickly accelerate, giving you also little time to move around.

10 (edited by It the it 2017-09-30 20:48:35)

After struggling with the "Un-Fun Object" level for about a month, I have finally beat it !!!!  (replay attached)

Now I can forget this level!!! For a while...

I say this partially because I might play it again using the mouse. (The attached replay is done entirely with the keyboard.) I will definitely try to collect all of the coins, but I will not care so much if I fail to reach the goal in the same run/replay.

--It the it

EDIT: I forgot to say that the manner in which I passed the goal differentiates a bit from that of my last replay.  Also: Spoiler: Warning!!!

Post's attachments

fwp-15_07_mincoinswin.nbr 1.31 mb, 12 downloads since 2017-09-30 

It the it wrote:

After struggling with the "Un-Fun Object" level for about a month, I have finally beat it !!!!

Nice!

It's amazing how much control you have over the ball. Playing with the mouse forces with to move around much more.

To collect all of the yellow and red coins it may be necessary to zigzag between the red coins, similar to what you do in the beginning.

Collecting coins in the next level (Adventure) is much more fun, though.

Craven wrote:

It's amazing how much control you have over the ball.

Thx!  I have been playing with the keyboard for ages, the mouse not so much...

A lot of the control in the replay is in the camera angle, in order to get the ball to move in "angled acceleration" in the right direction. Example: While encouraging the ball to enter and stay under the first barrier, I often have to make a few small adjustments to the camera to correctly turn the "line of angled acceleration" relative to the center of the barrier. This also is useful for making the ball slow down enough to go under the barrier.

Another example: (I do not think this happened in my last replay,) sometimes the ball would go rolling a long way along the circumference of the ufo on the verge of falling out. Preventing this involved rotating the manual camera a bit at intervals along the way, to keep the camera in the angle that encouraged the ball to accelerate up the slope, not sideways (and to the abyss).

Yet another example: When I was trying to beat the tree level for the first time, I was watching some replays on the Nevertable to give me hints. The mouse players guided the ball more with the mouse movements themselves, not the camera angle. The keyboard players guided it less with the key presses and more with continual small adjustments to the camera. When I play this level I find that turning the camera more to the right advances the ball up the tree, and turning it to the left holds it onto the tree. Sometimes the ball wants to go too far too quickly in either direction, and quickly rotating the camera to the proper angle is what holds the ball onto the tree.   smile

For a good (short) angled acceleration training course, I recommend Dave's Levels. Unfortunately a.c. is the only free style technique that I have really gotten the hang of...   sad

To collect all of the yellow and red coins it may be necessary to zigzag between the red coins, similar to what you do in the beginning.

ok. Thx for the tip.

--It the it

Speaking of the tree level, I've attached my most coins replay for Nevermania 6. Camera angle is controlled exclusively by keyboard (left hand). The mouse (right hand) helps with small adjustments to keep clear of the trunk. That's probably the only way to stay below the 17.50s target. (My best is 17.01s.)

Dave's levels are fun, that's true. Also a good candidate for another Most Coins Challenge. I'm still missing a few coins in levels 6-8. Railwalking in level 5 is good practice for Nevermania 13. I still haven't solved that one, however.

Post's attachments

fwp-06_03_Craven.nbr 451.23 kb, 8 downloads since 2017-10-02 

Craven wrote:

- Lvl 16: I can reach the platform with the switch surrounded by a ring of coins with the large ball, but cannot get to the teleporter (or anywhere) from there. Same thing with small or normal ball.

[...] Can anyone give me a clue?

Spoiler

As you have noticed, there is no way to leave that platform safely once the ball has come to a rest on it. You need to find a way to reach the platform, bounce through the switch and have enough momentum left to land somewhere else. Doing this successfully will not only give you access to the pink pyramid but also to a switch controlling the big glass thwomp. With the thwomp out of the way, collecting the yellow coins on the platform becomes possible.

Wow, I can't even complete most of these levels, much less get all of the coins.

camthesaxman wrote:

Wow, I can't even complete most of these levels, much less get all of the coins.

In many Nevermania levels, there are at least some coins that are easy to reach. Just start from there and try to improve your skills.

Elviz wrote:

Spoiler

Thanks for the clue, Elviz! I've managed to get the coins now. But I'm still far away from collecting all 400 coins in Nevermania 16 in less than 10 minutes.