Topic: ball clips through stationary brushes of chasm

In developing one of my levels I created a small gap of a certain size between two brushes. The edges of these brushes in the gap are oblique to the coordinate system of the level. The ball starts having collected a shrink coin.

If you roll in this recess, you can make the ball clip through the brushes by tilting the level some more. (Yes, in the version of my level that I uploaded, I have changed the dimensions of the brushes a bit to fix this.) I was curious about what you Neverball techies who are more knowledgeable about the geometry than I would say.

Here is a map with the section of interest so that you can test it.

Post's attachments

invisland_fallout_bug.map 2.02 kb, 6 downloads since 2017-09-17 

invisland_fallout_bug.sol 4.25 kb, 5 downloads since 2017-09-17 

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988

I created my avatar with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled it down with GIMP.

Re: ball clips through stationary brushes of chasm

It the it wrote:

I have changed the dimensions of the brushes a bit to fix this.

And this is what you should do.

On the Radiant grid, the gap is 16 units across and a shrunk ball is 16 units in diameter. That is enough space for the ball to fall through. Even if it wasn't, the nature of floating-point is such that very close values are never going to result in reliable physics.

Something tells me one of my custom levels might also be in violation with respect to the tunnels, so I figured I would chime here.

In Trains eXtreme (currently Clockwork Beta 08), the opening of the tunnels is the exact same width and height as the diameter of a normal ball. Without the shrink item picked up, the player would have to squeeze their ball through the tunnel in a short span of time.

Fortunately, I have two ways to fix this. I can either (1) make the tunnels slightly wider (making them easier in the process), or I can (2) make the tunnels narrower (making it no longer possible to traverse with a regular ball).

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

parasti wrote:

Even if it wasn't, the nature of floating-point is such that very close values are never going to result in reliable physics.

I see what you mean. (to be more specific:) I know the recess was less then 16 units wide since the upper edges of the brushes caught the ball first. Then the texture on the basic-ball seemed to vibrate more rapidly than on the other two recesses, which were narrower. Next, the ball clipped through the brushes after I had tilted the level for a couple seconds.  Maybe also the slant of the edges (obliqueness to the axes of the level in Radiant) as something to do with this?

In my level, "Pyramid Zone," there are quite a few ramps with the same reflective texture on the top surface. There is a certain section where the space between the floor and the bottom face of the brush above is the same as the diameter of the ball, and several of these ramps are visible. In playing the level on a friend's machine, the game lagged a lot when I rolled in this section. This could mean that rolling in gaps the same width as the ball would be more cpu-taxing, or something (emphasis on this word).

Challenge Space Yard wrote:

I can either (1) make the tunnels slightly wider (making them easier in the process),

Wouldn't it be negligible to draw back each edge of the chasm 0.125 units? If you use NetRadiant, and if this does not go past the 1 unit grid, I would do this:
  1. Draw a 1 unit large cube.
  2. Use "arbitrary scale" and set the x/y dimension to 0.125.
  3. Hide all brushes other than this brush and the other brushes of interest.
  4. For each brush, place the auxiliary brush inside the edge and use CSG Subtract.

--It the it

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988

I created my avatar with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled it down with GIMP.