1 (edited by ed49 2013-10-11 20:23:06)

Topic: New Music: track7.ogg

I have composed a new track for Neverball. It is meant to go with an arctic background (possibly the one by Cheeseness). If you have feedback for me, I'd love it! Note that this is different than the track7.ogg I posted a few days ago. It is the same track, but it's been updated. More music to come!

Edit: Newer version:https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1XLOsX … sp=sharing

I will keep the older version up for people who want to compare:

Older version: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1XLOsX … sp=sharing

Here are all of my level contributions. Please test and give constructive criticism.

Re: New Music: track7.ogg

Hi ed49,

I think the bassline's a bit too dominant and bouncy (like Bill Laswell in his earlier days), puts me rather in the mood for dancing, not sit round and play Neverball.
I can feel the arctic-thing right from the beginning but as the theme continues I think there's just too much classic song-structure in here (when the climax started building at 0:58 I instantly expected vocals to follow which could easly distract one from playing in some situations especially at higher difficulty levels)
So basically I like your theme but IMHO some changes should be applied to make it somehow more "ruminant" and suitable for being just a background theme.

Cheers,

dtb

Update: I just gave it about 15 consecutive listens whilst playing through a bunch of classic levels and have to admit that it already has grown on me, so it definitely works! But still that wobbling bass...  ;-)

I'm afraid my music vocabulary is too small to give decent feedback on this. On my first listen, it didn't "feel" like a Neverball track, but I can't say why. I like it though.

I had a piece of music that I'd written that I wanted to expand upon for my antarctic background, which also desn't quite have that "Neverball feel" to it yet, but which evokes more of a sense of cold, isolated beauty.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

As an avid game player and also a composer, I first off would like to say that I really like this track and it definitely reminds me of the other Neverball tunes. On what dtb said about to climax-like structure at 0:51, this actually tends to help rather than hurt in my opinion. There are some games that I have played where I get really stuck, but something about the energy is as if the music was pushing me forwards (Kind of like the song Pushing Onwards from VVVVVV which is a great example of this). The bass does seem to move a little, but I personally don't mind simply because it is the main melody. It isn't complicated, therefore it still seems to feel in the background for me

The only thing that bugs me is that I still have the copy from before you updated it, and I kind of liked the instrument sounds on the previous one better. I don't know why, it just seemed more intact and crisp instead of blending together into mesh. All in all, I absolutely LOVE this track smile A job well done

PS Is it just me or are the strings slightly sharper than the main melody? I don't know I tend to pick things apart a lot, so don't take my criticism harshly, I'm just trying to help and most of this is really minor stuff. Looking forward to seeing how this is used!
Cheers, -B

I kinda like it. It has "generic game track" sort of sound and repetitiveness, but I like catchy tunes playing over and over again smile

Currently Playing:
$150 worth of GOG.com classic games

Thanks, guys! I do actually feel that the strings should have less in the high range. I will also see what i can do about the bass line, as it doesn't completely fit with the other tracks. I probably won't have to change it too much.

Here are all of my level contributions. Please test and give constructive criticism.

Had a listen to this yesterday. I feel the bass is too bouncy, some of the notes felt too short/cut off prematurely (I think this is easier to get across if you listen to rlk's original tracks). I'm also not sure about the little intermission in the middle, it's a little sudden and maybe too short, but I like the bit at the end, where it goes back to the original bass line.

Also, I haven't checked your track, but all Neverball audio needs to be in the key of C.

9 (edited by ed49 2013-10-10 19:29:06)

parasti wrote:

Also, I haven't checked your track, but all Neverball audio needs to be in the key of C.

Mine's in f minor, but tracks 2 and 5 are in A minor (which has the same key signature as C), and tracks 3 and 6 are in C minor (which has a different key signature!). I am working on a track in A minor/C major.

Also, how funny that you all used the same word to describe the bass line!

Hi ed49:

I will +1 what others are saying with respect to the bass line, but more importantly, f minor won't work IMO (even though c natural fits into the key of f minor, there's no escaping the goal sound, which has a C major chord in it). So yeah, shoot for Cmaj/aMin.

I guess I'm the loner here who doesn't think the bassline needs any changing... ah well
+1 what tonesfrommars said, although if tracks 3 and 6 are in c minor I'm not sure how that tis in, although I haven't listened to them in a while so I can't really say much on that.

Aah, that's why!

See the original post to download a newer version of track7.ogg, with a less bouncy bass line and in the key of A minor.

I guess calling it bouncy was a mistake. It still sounds the same to me, too "staccato", someone purposefully muting every note. Not that this is bad in itself (or in moderation), but as is it sharply contrasts with the other tracks. Listen to track1 and track3, how the bass notes ring out.

15 (edited by ed49 2013-10-11 01:37:01)

parasti wrote:

Listen to track1 and track3, how the bass notes ring out.

Listening...

I see what you mean. That's not a problem for the middle section, but I'll see what I can do about the rest. Maybe that's why it doesn't sound like it fits!

16 (edited by ed49 2013-10-11 20:33:22)

This ought to do it. I changed the bass again (now it's closer to the original), and made the bass transition into the middle section. Once again, see the original post.

Edit: I think I need to find a different bass sound, or record bass live.

ed49 wrote:

I think I need to find a different bass sound, or record bass live.

Just filter the crap out of it smile

Currently Playing:
$150 worth of GOG.com classic games

The new version sounds much more fitting. I won't say "perfect" because it sounds as if the bass line lost some of its original character, sadly (and I'm sure some of it could be restored, it's not like each and every note needs to ring out), but the one issue that I really had with the track is now remedied.

I listened to the newest version and I like it. I tried to play a few maps with it and it feels nice. +1

~DEV

It's very good but I think it have some......