Re: GL-ES port of the game?

Lazrhog wrote:
ti_chris wrote:

So any update on the port?  smile

Nothing to report yet ... smile

Hello,

Is the port source available or out yet?

Thanks.

27 (edited by Lazrhog 2010-03-23 12:09:57)

No.  Not until the port of the latest version is working on the pandora.  Even then, it will be down to the 1.5 contributors whether it becomes open source or not, as it will probably have to go through some kind of closed source peer review process first.

Oh, and I would love to get it working with Vertex Buffer Objects, which would drammatically speed things up....   Vertex Buffer Objects seem an absolute perfect fit for Neverball, and seem to be available as standard in OpenGLES 1.1/2.0 (ie. not using OpenGL extensions)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertex_Buffer_Object

Lazrhog wrote:

No.  Not until the port of the latest version is working on the pandora.  Even then, it will be down to the 1.5 contributors whether it becomes open source or not, as it will probably have to go through some kind of closed source peer review process first.

Thanks. Actually I'm converting the code myself with an SDL+GLES 2.0 wrapper framework. I am using vertex arrays for all of it. So, I was just trying to figure out if that's already been done. I am working to get it ported by the end of April. I'll trouble you guys if I face any issues. smile

arhsim wrote:
Lazrhog wrote:

Thanks. Actually I'm converting the code myself with an SDL+GLES 2.0 wrapper framework. I am using vertex arrays for all of it. So, I was just trying to figure out if that's already been done. I am working to get it ported by the end of April. I'll trouble you guys if I face any issues. smile

Yep, you shouldn't have too many problems, as it only took me a couple of weeks to port the graphics portions over.  When I get my pandora, I'll do my conversion still anyway, as it is a complete openglES conversion (not a wrapper).

Forgot to mention, I'll have neverball at 60fps on the ipad as soon as I get one in my hands smile. That won't be til end of April but if anyone wanted a copy for ipad I can add you to my adhoc list, as it won't be in the AppStore ...

I'm gonna want to try that.  I too won't have an iPad until the 3Gs ship.

I am waiting for Pedalplane for iPad before I buy one lol

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Well I got my shiny new iPad, and needed to test the project conversion utilities that Apple provide.  I figured, well I wanted to play it myself, so I would throw Neverball at it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_46Wbgii-g

Didn't tweak controls or anything so its pretty rough around the edges (and the fonts are all wacky) but still looks pretty good. 

Note: This version is not going to be released by me.  Hopefully I am going to be porting it to the Pandora Console when I get one.

Lazrhog wrote:

Well I got my shiny new iPad, and needed to test the project conversion utilities that Apple provide.  I figured, well I wanted to play it myself, so I would throw Neverball at it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_46Wbgii-g

Didn't tweak controls or anything so its pretty rough around the edges (and the fonts are all wacky) but still looks pretty good. 

Note: This version is not going to be released by me.  Hopefully I am going to be porting it to the Pandora Console when I get one.

No comments.  I thought it was pretty cool..... sad

It's awesome! big_smile Do you think it's hard to play, compared to the mouse? However, that's really a pretty natural way to play it.

What's the matter with the background though?

nue wrote:

It's awesome! big_smile Do you think it's hard to play, compared to the mouse? However, that's really a pretty natural way to play it.

What's the matter with the background though?

hmm dunno. Is the background animation not driven by the physics model ? Might have to change it if it isn't. I sent RLK my idea for a multitouch control method which might be cool. But tilt doesn't feel too bad to be honest.

The background animation is indeed odd... it should be driven by the same clock that rotates the coins.

Having played Neverball on iPad, I'm quite convinced that tilting the device is a very natural and sufficiently powerful way to play.  While I acknowledge Lazrhog's ideas for touch-based tilt controls, it scares me a little.  It makes me think of Wolfenstein 3D, which I really don't like on the iPhone/iPad.

The way of playing as well as the GUI interaction look very intuitive.
Like nue, I'm curious to know how it compares to the mouse device.
Anyway, thx for the test and the video, it is quite exiting smile

39 (edited by Lazrhog 2010-06-11 17:36:04)

I'll see if I can fix it later.  I have a different (better and faster) font system I can plug in too so I might clean it up and send rlk some more code smile. It's a change I need to do to get the Neverputt port onto iPad anyway

I've got a port underway.  It's all under control, so don't go to any undue effort.  Fonts, in particular, are taken care of.

rlk wrote:

I've got a port underway.  It's all under control, so don't go to any undue effort.  Fonts, in particular, are taken care of.

Is that the official announcement smile:):):):):)

Lazrhog wrote:

No, This was. tongue

rlk wrote:
Lazrhog wrote:

No, This was. tongue

You only did x2 mode ?  Just change the 480x320 setting I encoded to 1024x768 and do a project convert to ipad version in Xcode and you can play it at least natively smile

missed the other post, sorry.

Lazrhog wrote:

You only did x2 mode ?  Just change the 480x320 setting I encoded to 1024x768 and do a project convert to ipad version in Xcode and you can play it at least natively smile

missed the other post, sorry.

Yeah, I've since gone much further.  I was just noting how I had initially been convinced that the iPad (and its accelerometer) was a viable platform for the game.  I've always been aware that the iPad can run the game at full quality.  And speaking of "native", that's the solution to the font issue.  I'm going with universal native GUIs.

Lazrhog wrote:

PS. is it OK to release a free version of Neverputt on the Appstore by the way ?  Maybe promoting the community 1.5 release...)

I found a version on the AppStore today but it's not free

I'm not sure it was ever free...? I bought it at one point and found it to be less than great.

47 (edited by dtb 2014-09-14 22:56:49)

tonesfrommars wrote:

I'm not sure it was ever free...?

I mean I just wasn't aware that there's also a "commercial branch" of the project in existence. After reading stuff like this http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/N … asp?c=9271 I know better. Sounds a bit like Neverputt ME's got to be the pride of creation hmm

(...but as a non-contributor all of this luckily doesn't bother me much anyhow)