251 (edited by ht-never 2014-04-28 07:31:31)

Re: the Neverball's TODO proposition

MikeyZ wrote:

For example, to allow 3-axis camera rotation and enable the top-down view, the level designer has to add some object by the name of 3Axis to the level

Neverball is not based on objects (like Minecraft or Terraria), but rather on geometry made out of planes. These do not have "names" or any other kind of tile entity.

~DEV

MikeyZ wrote:

I've played with a HTML5 game maker called Construct 2, and although it can't do 3D stuff and I am totally new to this, let alone actual programming, "level-specific settings" like this seem like they are pretty easy to implement even if it's not part of the original game engine using this technique. But that's just my thoughts.

Personally, to me it's not really a question of implementation difficulty. It's a game design thing. It's a question of building a game and giving designers a limited vocabulary to express their ideas within that context vs building a game engine and giving designers unlimited vocabulary to build their own games. That second option isn't really that interesting to me as a developer. There's no shortage of existing engines out there.

Super Monkey Ball actually does tilt the camera down a bit when falling. It can be seen on Expert 26. It's not a huge tilt, but it does help when trying to land on platforms below.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUmTnx5obJ4