Re: Reshaun's iLevels

FWIW, there used to be a Marble Madness inspired level in Neverball:
https://raw.github.com/Neverball/neverball/37ed4de5b4f648a2d94a395c0a6469457ceeb0da/data/shot/24_marble.jpg

I'm excited to play these levels just seeing everone else's comments!

Here are all of my level contributions. Please test and give constructive criticism.

28 (edited by themacmeister 2014-02-17 03:22:25)

Going to try these tonight. Really looking forward to that Marble Madness level. It looks very authentic and true to the original game. Because the two games are so different in control (tilt vs trackball) I wouldn't think that you could recreate the Marble Madness levels (also, the marble in MM is way heavier than the ball in Neverball).

Great Work. Your putt course looks amazing too!!!

PS. Is the first post's zip attachment fixed?

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

themacmeister wrote:

Not yet. Just upack it and remove the two subfolders, then recompress.
In time we'll get working versions into the OP.

I am completely stoked with these sets. I'm taking my time playing through them because I want to savor it. Lots of great orignal stuff here, and, as StaticJuice said, excellent use of rotating lumps.

BRAVO

p.s. Love the diagonal ball!

30 (edited by dtb 2014-02-17 09:52:40)

tonesfrommars wrote:
themacmeister wrote:

Not yet. Just upack it and remove the two subfolders, then recompress.
In time we'll get working versions into the OP...

Reshaun, I hope that my previous post concerning the zip-file for the 2nd set did not cause any confusion...  Anyway it's still attached to my previous post and you can download it and attach it to your original post, if that helps. I don't know what happened with the zip-file for your 1st set, it was compiled and working properly. I could upload that file as well if you want.

Perhaps it would also be a good idea to make a sticky post right at the top of this thread carrying both files. What u think?

Cheers

dtb

31 (edited by dtb 2014-02-17 10:53:54)

Static Juice wrote:

...I just completed both of your sets...  I might see about going for All Coins playthroughs of all your levels now smile

WOW, Static, you're already through? I had the same plan/idea for trying out next if it's possible to grab all coins in both sets, perhaps we could act jointly on an accompanying thread illustrating the progress (pretty much like this http://forum.nevercorner.net/viewtopic. … 567#p26567 ) ... even if it was just to "reanimate" the plain dead CONTEST - section big_smile
What u think?

dtb wrote:

...perhaps we could act jointly on an accompanying thread illustrating the progress... What u think?

Sounds like a fun idea smile Although keep in mind that I'm a keyboard player and replays done with the keyboard tend to be quite jittery and thus less pleasant to watch than replays done with the mouse. But if that's not a problem for you then sure, count me in big_smile

33 (edited by dtb 2014-02-17 11:33:45)

Never mind - I'm a keyboard player too!
And it's not about posting replays for ALL levels but only for the difficult ones or such with lots/loads of coins (like V) which can also make it difficult in a way...
So I just opened two new threads in the contest-section:

http://forum.nevercorner.net/viewtopic.php?id=2796
http://forum.nevercorner.net/viewtopic.php?id=2797

...do you want to split the whole thing up, or should both of us try all coins in both sets?

Cheers

dtb

would have to make room in the neverwiki

¿what´s up? *Gus

I am playing these new levelsets and really enjoying them. I am doing this legit without using cheats or editing files to unlock levels. I am most of the way through iLevels, and about 1/4 the way through iLevels-Suite.

I am impressed by the quality of the levels, and the attention to detail with texturing.

The big concrete "house" could do with some better textures.

I think some of the level text could do with some polishing, to make it easier to understand.

Also, some levels are very flat (EA/Namco/PS2 buttons). These are OK levels, but too many FLAT levels in a row becomes a little boring.

Apart from that, I am very very happy, and will try to finish these levelsets again tonight.

PS. Because I want to try all your levels, I may have to cheat. The level I am stuck on has a very short time limit.

Currently Playing:

36 (edited by NeverHacker 2014-02-18 02:01:40)

I'm already starting to break records of coins ... the time records are now mostly smoothies!
¡I just realized that the records of time we were done before I  reboot the pc accidentally were removed...!
I never want to do it all again! sad
magically everything returned to normal big_smile

¿what´s up? *Gus

Hey, reshaun, after your last upload both ZIP files are unusable.

This is what you have (this doesn't work):
http://i.imgur.com/pnVR7V6.png

This is what you should have instead (no extra folder):

http://i.imgur.com/mRDXSA4.png

I manually installed it using WinRAR. It takes care of the merging of the folders. There was not a single file overwritten.

Will the new format make MAP playback work in NetRadiant? Because it doesn't work at the moment with the custom built NetRadiant, and latest nightly build neverball.

Currently Playing:

themacmeister wrote:

I manually installed it using WinRAR. It takes care of the merging of the folders. There was not a single file overwritten.

Good luck uninstalling that. Properly packaged ZIP files can be drag-dropped to My Documents\My Games\Neverball, so it is beneficial to do so. Also, Neverball has had this ability since 2009, there is nothing new about it.

MAP playback doesn't work at the moment with the custom built NetRadiant, and latest nightly build neverball.

It works if you follow the tutorial. The map file has to be located within the Neverball file system, arbitrary map locations won't work. I should probably clarify that. But we're going offtopic now.

parasti wrote:

Hey, reshaun, after your last upload both ZIP files are unusable.

This is what you have (this doesn't work):
http://i.imgur.com/pnVR7V6.png

This is what you should have instead (no extra folder):

http://i.imgur.com/mRDXSA4.png

Oops! I just made a mistake I fixed my ZIP files.

Reshaun

Here is my unofficial level and putt course contributions:
iLevels Collection iPutt Collection

parasti wrote:

Good luck uninstalling that

Why would I want to uninstall? Those levelsets are good smile

I hear where you are coming from. I find it really difficult to follow the new physfs file system stuff anymore, especially across multiple operating systems. I don't mind manually building my maps, actually that is my preferred mode of operation. I can see the benefits of levelsets as zip files too.

Currently Playing:

42 (edited by dtb 2014-03-02 23:53:18)

Hello reshaun, now I'm back with more detailed feedback! First of all I've got to tell you again how much I appreciate your levels and really enjoyed playing through both of your sets the past few weeks.
But I also agree with themacmeister that "...some levels are very flat (EA/Namco/PS2 buttons). These are OK levels, but too many FLAT levels in a row becomes a little boring..."
He really made a good/important point here and I think you should better skip some of those rather "flat", uninspired levels which are all based on the same idea because they could maybe just as well impair the splendid overall impression of your sets. And I'm also not going for all that Neverball-variations you created. I mean don't get me wrong - there are some I do like a lot and feel that they are also really adding something new, exciting to the original motif (like iLevels Suite # 4 + 19) but many others just don't do it for me.

All in all I think you should combine your sets and create one magnificent set full of truly original reshaun-levels that are 100% yours and proudly represent your own great skill and imagination.

The following are my favourite levels...

iLevels: 1, 2, 7, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, I
iLevels Suite: 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 19, II, III

Top 3 iLevels: 16, 19, 20
Top 3 iLevels Suite: 5, 9, 12   

That's it. Hope some of it will be of help for you somehow or other and please keep on crafting such marvellous stuff tongue

Cheers

dtb

43 (edited by dtb 2014-03-02 23:50:48)

...just one more thing - you better secure the elevator in 19 with some additional bars otherwise it can be completed too easily (see SPOILER attached)

Post's attachments

iLevels-19_02.nbr 2.19 mb, 80 downloads since 2014-03-02 

Hi @reshaun:

Wondering what you think of the idea of merging your two sets (or re-organizing the level order) so that one might be included in the next release. It seems there is a (admittedly) loose consensus that you could put the strongest levels together in one set and it would be stupendous.

I mention this because there may be a 1.6 release soon-ish and I'd love to see some of your levels be included as I think they are top quality.

best
-tones

+1 for tones' idea big_smile

46 (edited by themacmeister 2014-03-20 04:27:23)

+1 as well. These levels are of a quality that deserves to be included by default. Reshaun's levels have given me more joy than the very first time I played MYM's two levelsets, and the putt course is a MUST INCLUDE!!!

EDIT: grammar/wording

Currently Playing:

47 (edited by reshaun 2017-01-21 22:15:48)

Hey everyone.
Here's my new level pack.
Check out my new version of
iLevelsets moved to my first post.

Check my new ball

I hope you enjoyed.

Reshaun

You, reshaun, are a great man.

~DEV

ht-never wrote:

You, reshaun, are a great man.

Thanks.

Reshaun

Hey reshaun, just downloaded all your sets ~3 hours ago and played through them (challenge mode left to go). They are so addictive that i couldn't stop smile  (still can't believe that i got the Super Tetris lvl on first try and iLevels Suite 20 on 2nd)

I just can't find the words right now, you did such an awesome work, the level design and your unique ideas are superb!

Once i play through all the bonus levels i will try and give some suggestions concerning the level order.
Really want to see your sets to be in the next release, you rock!

dtb wrote:

...just one more thing - you better secure the elevator in 19 with some additional bars otherwise it can be completed too easily

I have to disagree on that: Keep it as it is, shortcuts are half the fun in Neverball wink