Topic: Off-topic discussion [split topic]

themacmeister wrote:

What graphics card do you have there? How much RAM do you have installed?

As parasti says, let's avoid making this thread a support thread for the moment and come back to that later (or in another thread).

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Re: Off-topic discussion [split topic]

The subject "Setting up the Level Editor on Windows" makes it sound a LOT like a support thread smile

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

I wish you'd read past the subject.

Ouch! I guess you are right tho... can't make this a multipage support thread to feed the troll.

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

themacmeister wrote:

Ouch! I guess you are right tho... can't make this a multipage support thread to feed the troll.

Hey come on, nobody's being a troll.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

6 (edited by dtb 2014-02-12 14:51:50)

OMG by now you already have to do a lot of reading before you learn something about "setting up..."

Seems as if half of the posts in this thread (including this one sad ) are just about what this thread should be all about. Considering this was supposed to be a BRIEF TUTORIAL on "setting up..." perhaps it would be appropriate to delete all of the post here not contributing to the main topic (including this one sad)

and always remember:
http://www.dontfeedthetroll.de/images/dftt.gif

I'm in favour of having my own off topic posts removed to clear up clutter in this thread. If others are too, I can do that.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

8 (edited by dtb 2014-02-12 14:54:12)

Cheeseness wrote:

I'm in favour of having my own off topic posts removed to clear up clutter in this thread. If others are too, I can do that.

How about implementing sort of a warning sign saying something like "BE AWARE THAT POSTS* NOT RELATING TO A WINDOWS BASED PC OR DISCUSSING GTK RADIANT ISSUES IN THIS THREAD WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DELETED"
*like this one ;(

Perhaps this (sort of a warning sign right at the beginning of every new, somewhat subject-specific-only thread) could also be a good idea for the future to control unwanted spread in such threads. Just an idea... hmm

Cheeseness wrote:

Come on, you don't need a vote to use your right to moderate off-topic crap. Only reason I hadn't done that (until now) was laziness. Posts like this (including my own) just contribute to the noise in the thread. Imagine everyone voting and deciding "no" on that same thread? That would be pretty ridiculous.

I don't feel I need to take particular steps to preemptively prevent off-topics posts. Off-topic doesn't mean useless and doesn't warrant automatic deletion. A one or two posts on something else is fine with me. Longer lived topics that emerge that don't contribute to the original topic should be split instead.

I do feel people aren't getting the message when I in plain English say "let's stop here and make a new thread for this". Not sure if anything can be done about that, though.

parasti wrote:
Cheeseness wrote:

Come on, you don't need a vote to use your right to moderate off-topic crap.

Oh, shush big_smile

Unless there's something really inappropriate going on, I'm always going to give people notice before I do something like that. In this case, since the discussion at hand was too off topic posts about off topic posting without any real sense of purpose or progress, I don't see any value in keeping that. If something of consequence had been said, I wouldn't have suggested it.

parasti wrote:

I do feel people aren't getting the message when I in plain English say "let's stop here and make a new thread for this". Not sure if anything can be done about that, though.

We've always had this hurdle to an extent. I wouldn't be any more upset about it now than 8 years ago (has it really been that long) if I were you.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I don't doubt your intentions, but I'd rather not see more clutter accumulate on my thread as you try to determine whether the existing clutter should be removed. I'm sure you see the absurdity of it yourself.

parasti wrote:

If people don't listen or are too lazy, the only way is to just split the topic I guess.