26 (edited by parasti 2012-05-29 17:18:07)

Re: STORE

Cheeseness wrote:

Having such a page on the neverball.org site would be in addition to the existing wiki page, not instead of. Both would still need to be maintained (even if a list of downloadable sets were available on the neverball.org site were automated, there's still maintenance involved with keeping them up to date, selecting which ones are appropriate for putting up there, etc.).

That is a lot different from what I'd like to see. (Maybe because I didn't actually explain what that is.)

What I'm thinking of is a "Nevertable for level sets", where people upload their sets and have them rated and commented upon. It's not so important that it be on the official site, but it's important that it be seen as the place to go for custom levels.

(BTW, sorry for my sporadic comments on the topic. Not nearly enough time to sit down and write thoughtful responses to everything.)

27 (edited by ht-never 2014-01-19 19:24:01)

parasti wrote:

What I'm thinking of is a "Nevertable for level sets", where people upload their sets and have them rated and commented upon. It's not so important that it be on the official site, but it's important that it be seen as the place to go for custom levels.

(Y)

~DEV

ht-never wrote:

I love you, Jānis

WTF?

parasti wrote:

Oh, I see. If we did such a thing, it would be nice to have some level of integration with the Nevertable (at the very least to allow people to find replays for popular levels). I could totally get behind that sort of thing.

So you're envisaging that submissions would be open to anybody and that the "good" would naturally separate from the "not as good" as the community rated them? Do you think there's any value in moderating that? Unfinished or incompletable levels, as well as levels with inappropriate content (man that's a can of worms I hope we never see opened) could create some negative perceptions that would extend to the game as a whole. We can leave it to the community to flag inappropriate stuff, but watching the amount of spam that comes through the forums right now (which shino and tones do an awesome job of cleaning up, but I am confident that it eats into time that they could otherwise give to posting), I wonder if that's just creating more work for a community that is already pretty thin on the ground at the moment.

parasti wrote:

(BTW, sorry for my sporadic comments on the topic. Not nearly enough time to sit down and write thoughtful responses to everything.)

I should probably offer a similar apology. My attention is in all sorts of places at the moment big_smile

ht-never, I mean this in the nicest way possible, and please don't take offense. I don't feel like your draft really reflects the look-and-feel of the neverball.org site.

If people seem to be avoiding that side of things, it might be because at this point, identifying exactly what sort of shape the feature/project we're discussing might take, and then whether or not it's justifiable/worthwhile could be seen as things to iron out before addressing layout/look and feel.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

30 (edited by ht-never 2012-05-30 06:55:06)

parasti wrote:

WTF?

this is metaphorical. I think we have the same idea... you explained exactly my idea...

cheeseness wrote:

Oh, I see. If we did such a thing, it would be nice to have some level of integration with the Nevertable (at the very least to allow people to find replays for popular levels). I could totally get behind that sort of thing.

I agree...

So you're envisaging that submissions would be open to anybody and that the "good" would naturally separate from the "not as good" as the community rated them? Do you think there's any value in moderating that? Unfinished or incompletable levels, as well as levels with inappropriate content (man that's a can of worms I hope we never see opened) could create some negative perceptions that would extend to the game as a whole.

I think that guidelines should be the way to rate them.

- For example, trimming (border with a texture made for surfaces), z-fighting, over-coins (coins that hasn't a value like 1,5,10) should be not permitted.

- Mappers have to finish the level, with a goal decal texture and an info_player_deathmatch entity that works.

- No close levels because the player will see the wall instead of the ball ahead that one.

- etc...

I should probably offer a similar apology. My attention is in all sorts of places at the moment

ht-never, I mean this in the nicest way possible, and please don't take offense. I don't feel like your draft really reflects the look-and-feel of the neverball.org site.

If people seem to be avoiding that side of things, it might be because at this point, identifying exactly what sort of shape the feature/project we're discussing might take, and then whether or not it's justifiable/worthwhile could be seen as things to iron out before addressing layout/look and feel.

I agree...

~DEV

Seriously, what the fuck? I deleted the entire discussion on my personal details and closed this thread. I'd greatly appreciate if posts discussing people's private information (even if publicly available, e.g., in my forum profile) would not be taken as lightly in the future.