Re: Top 206 Freeware/Open Source Games

jammnrose wrote:

Fink sux... Never had any luck with it. And even if there is a Fink port, there's probably a MacPort which works just as good, or better.

Totally agree - I think MacPorts replaces fink, and has native apps too (no X11 required?)

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

I think fink packages management is better (apt based). For example macports don't handle upgrade very smothly as it always keep the old version (and deactivate it). You have to manually delete unused deactivated version... or maybe I'm wrong smile

But I agree that Macports is better than fink about everything else.

i think you skipped fLail. its a super game in N style.

29 (edited by themacmeister 2009-04-28 00:37:53)

victor12 wrote:

i think you skipped fLail. its a super game in N style.

thanks victor12, I will try it out if there is a Windows version - otherwise, I will leave it to others with Linux installed.

EDIT: Windows only - http://db.tigsource.com/games/flail

It looks superb, will try it tonight. If it is half as good as N, it will jump to the top 30 immediately.

Currently Playing:

30 (edited by themacmeister 2009-04-30 01:29:12)

Added fLail - epicness sees this debut at #6

Currently stuck midway thru world 3.

EDIT: Finished world 3, now midway through world 4

Currently Playing:

powbam wrote:

Sadly, you guys have completely forgotten the greatest game of all (excepting Neverball, of course wink)! Quadnet! Which can be acquired at this location here! And to be doubly sure that you can enjoy this great game I highly recommend that you grab DOSBox.

Sorry for missing this - I have switched back to OSX yet again (sigh) so will give this a try with Boxer (OSX).

The link to the game is broken btw, if I add it to the top 100, I will use a working link there.

Currently Playing:

Gogo Boxer, DOSBox is a pain in the @$$ to configure.

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

Boxer ran the game perfectly first go - full support for everything, and it is a wonderful game for its time. I cannot say it is a classic, and I don't want to put it on the list by itself (as I have no other DOS games). I will put DosBOX/Boxer there, with an additional link to Quadnet. That works for everybody. I played the three demo games that are included with Boxer (two are demos), and I was amazed at how much fun those old DOS games can be. I had never played Commander Keen until last night.

Currently Playing:

34 (edited by themacmeister 2010-04-09 00:23:01)

I am afraid to touch those links - looks like spamzilla at play!  neutral

EDIT: Spam removed

Currently Playing:

Analysis indicates Japanese spam.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

Personally I like a lot the Battle for wesnoth, but if you dont like it there is no problem for me smile

I try a lot of Linux distros, so I am well and truly sick of seeing BfW all the time, along with Frozen Bubble.

Currently Playing:

themacmeister wrote:

I try a lot of Linux distros, so I am well and truly sick of seeing BfW all the time, along with Frozen Bubble.

Personally I don't find either to be a truly representative example of how polished open source games can get.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

hehe, Xonotix !!

Now I know that Mac Ares (Ambrosia Software) is open source, I am over the moon  big_smile

There is a Mac port already!!!

Currently Playing:

This is getting slightly out-of-date. Anyone have any new nominations, or compatibility issues for existing games under Win7/8 or Mountain Lion?

Currently Playing:

41 (edited by ardvark 2013-08-03 04:30:08)

Hi all...

My favorites are...

1. Powermanga
2. Emelia Pinball
3. FLTK Checkers
4. PlanetPenguin Racer, once I waded through the code to get rid of the satanic references.
5. Frozen Bubble
6. TecnoballZ
7. Supertuxkart
8. Trigger Rally

Honorable mentions for...

Defendguin, kbattleship and Lincity-NG. smile

Regards...

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all!

42 (edited by ardvark 2013-08-03 04:31:47)

The previous post posted twice because of problems with the server, It will say "Bad Request," but will post the message anyway. ???

Regards...

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all!

themacmeister wrote:

The list will *NEVER* include Battle for Wesnoth or Frozen Bubble. This is just a personal preference, and any flames will be ignored.

I respect that, but why do you dislike Frozen Bubble?

Here are all of my level contributions. Please test and give constructive criticism.

Hi ed49, I just don't like how ALL Linux distros include BOTH as defaults (not many I know of include Neverball/putt). I have played, and do quite enjoy FB, so I may reconsider it for inclusion.

I need to update this listing real soon, as the links are out-of-date, and many of Kenta Cho's titles have been ported to OSX Lion/ML.

Currently Playing:

themacmeister wrote:

Hi ed49, I just don't like how ALL Linux distros include BOTH as defaults (not many I know of include Neverball/putt).

Isn't this down to dealing with guaranteed user experience more than anything else? Neither Battle for Wesnoth nor Frozen Bubble are particularly intensive and will run on just about anything. Neverball on the other hand has higher hardware requirements, may need additional drivers, and (arguably) has a less forgiving learning curve.

I think it could be argued that people who've never played any of the games and don't know anything about how to manage their system have a higher chance of having a negative experience with Neverball than those two games (as overrated as I personally think they are).

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I actually knew this Cheese, but I don't really find FB polished enough.  When I install a cutting edge OS, I don't want the most generic dumbed down software?!

PS. I have Mountain Lion 10.8.5, Win7 64-bit and Xubuntu 13.04 on the Mac Pro now, all booting nicely from Grub2 smile

Currently Playing:

themacmeister wrote:

Hi ed49, I just don't like how ALL Linux distros include BOTH as defaults (not many I know of include Neverball/putt).

Aah, I get it. That's why I like Edubuntu. And that's probably only reason I know about Neverball.

Here are all of my level contributions. Please test and give constructive criticism.

themacmeister wrote:

I have Mountain Lion 10.8.5, Win7 64-bit and Xubuntu 13.04 on the Mac Pro now, all booting nicely from Grub2 smile

What games do Windows and Mac OS come with installed by default? Are they closer to Frozen Bubble/Battle for Wesnoth or are they closer to Neverball?

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I think most of the Win7 games have acceleration when available (smooth cards etc.). I don't believe Mac OS X comes with ANY games at all?? I believe I am correct in saying this...

I wouldn't call anything there technically or hardware challenging neutral

Currently Playing: