1 (edited by ardvark 2013-08-10 00:46:42)

Topic: (SOLVED) Brrr! Neverputt is freezing...

Hi guys...

I've installed a copy of Neverputt on an older system (Celeron 900, 384 MB's of memory, Ensoniq 1371 sound card and a Radeon 7500 PCI video card,) running Precise Puppy 5.6.1 and have discovered that around the second or third hole of the first course (haven't tried any of the others,) it will lock up the system tighter than Fort Knox. I've had to shut it down using the power button.

Is there a way I can figure out what's going on and possibly correct it? If more information is needed, let me know what specifically.

Thanks! smile

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all!

Re: (SOLVED) Brrr! Neverputt is freezing...

Any chance you could run it in windowed mode from a terminal and see if there's any output you get. Wouldn't hurt to have a system monitor with CPU, graphics card, etc. temperate visible as well to rule out overheating.

It might also be relevant to know which version of Neverputt this is happening with.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

384MB of memory is not a lot if you are using Gnome or KDE. The rest of the system should handle Neverball/putt well. You should be using the LEGACY proprietary FGLRX driver, and not the Linux Radeon driver. Best of luck.

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

4 (edited by ardvark 2013-08-05 07:43:38)

Hi guys...

@cheeseness: It was what I suspected, something to do with the audio...

# neverputt
ALSA lib pcm.c:7339:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred

The version is 1.5.4-5. I downloaded it from Ubuntu's repositories.

@themacmeister: Puppy Linux is using another desktop environment called JWM, which is supposed to be a lightweight alternative to Gnome and KDE. I like your idea about using fglrx and I would do that, except that I don't think the legacy package supports the kernel version I have: 3.2.44.

Regards...

5 (edited by themacmeister 2013-08-05 08:25:27)

A solution for you. This should get Neverball/putt working 100% on your Linux.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=94847

Please note that these patches were done for HD2xxx->HD4xxx cards, and you may need to add specific Radeon 7500 options/fixes to your xorg.conf file (and even possibly force those to load). There is a PPA for fglrx legacy drivers (based on the patches above), but specific to Ubuntu. More info here...

https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx

Good luck smile

Currently Playing:

Hi Macmeister...

I'm looking into your suggestion, although what's entailed is a bit beyond my scope (of knowledge and ability.) I'm looking to give this system away to someone so I don't want to have to start over again by reinstalling a "borked" OS. wink

From the output I listed above, it seems this possibly has something to do with the audio.

Regards...

No ardvark, even I get the same message on my system.

You *NEED* to install the proprietary drivers, otherwise a lot of OpenGL stuff will not be to your liking, or even WORK.

The steps in that guide are reasonably simple, but there is a PPA available, which entails typing three commands in the terminal.

If you can't copy and paste three commands in the terminal, I'm afraid Linux is not the operating system for you...

Some bright spark out there MUST HAVE created .deb files of the patched Legacy driver. Google the heck out of it! (be sure they are for Kernel 3.2x)

Currently Playing:

EDIT: sorry, four commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/fglrx
sudo apt-get update
[-]sudo apt-get upgrade[-]
sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy
sudo amdconfig --initial

then restart the computer (I would not use the UPGRADE line, that is a DANGEROUS thing.

Good Luck (PS. I do not think your OS is borked, just your graphics driver - which is open source)

Currently Playing:

Hi Macmeister...

Entering commands into a terminal isn't the problem, compiling is. I've rarely had that go successfully.

Puppy Linux is not Ubuntu based, so the commands will be different. Also, I had someone give me the legacy driver for my kernel version except that he didn't realize or forgot that I was referring to the Radeon 7500 from back in 2001 or so, not the Radeon HD 7500. I was installing it before I realized that the driver version was incorrect.

Truth is, I'm not sure if it's even possible to get that old of a driver for my kernel. sad

Regards...

10 (edited by themacmeister 2013-08-09 05:14:16)

EDIT: Try xf86-video-ati from here -> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48019

(via Arcade Puppy)

It is VERY VERY possible, but not under Puppy. Switch to a full version of Linux, and do it with a couple of apt-get commands. I recommend Xubuntu, or even Crunch Bang Linux (based on Debian Wheezy).

With Ubuntu, you get the PPA repository, which means typing in 4 commands to get it working, otherwise you can use Debian, which may require you patch the source and compile it yourself.

Regardless of how daunting this sounds, there are AMPLE guides and howtos all over the internet. Pick one that looks easiest to follow, print it out, and follow it verbatim. Job done.

Your Puppy is based on Ubuntu Precise Pangolin, so you should be able to install apt (apt-get) and then use this PPA -- https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx

Read the first few lines, it supports 12.04, which is Precise!

No reason whatsoever that this will not work.

PS. It looks like this driver will not work in xorg >1.12.x, so if you have 1.13 or higher, it will NEVER work sad

You can downgrade in single-user mode in Precise. You should be able to get the version from the log files under /var/log/xorg.log or x11.log or whatever. Should be at the very top of the file.

PPS. With patching it should work with modern Xorg and kernels smile

PPPS. If you are serious about getting working accelerated OpenGL, you WILL NEED to perform these steps.

Currently Playing:

It shouldn't need to be this difficult. If you had (slightly) more up-to-date graphics hardware, you would be set. You should be able to find an AGP NVIDIA GeForce card on the cheap, and get a very healthy boost in 3D games to boot. I would RECOMMEND AGAINST getting an ATI/AMD card again, as their Linux support SUX.

Looks like the latest and fastest GeForce for AGP was the 7900GS. I had the 8400GS PCIe, and it was a very zippy card. I used to run the AGP 7800GT, and it was no slouch either. The 7900GS will be the fastest card, assuming you have 8x AGP.

Here is a 7900GS on ebay -> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/nVidia-GeFor … amp;_uhb=1

The prices they are asking for old AGP cards on eBay is ridiculous, so be careful out there. I managed to snarf an old 6600 from an old PC at the dump for nothing. You might get lucky. I have a LOT of old AGP cards, but they are mostly GeForceMX 440 etc, being about 1/4 the speed of your 7500. Maybe even slower.

Currently Playing:

12 (edited by ardvark 2013-08-09 06:34:19)

Hi Macmeister...

Thank you for your time and effort with this but honestly, as slow as this system is, even with Puppy, any further time and/or money spent on this system is not worth the effort. I can't give this to someone as slow as it is (using up to date, supported operating systems.) I've pretty much decided to swap out the Linux compatible winmodem with another modem and turn it into a retro box. It should work well for that.

Part of the reason for this decision can be found here. Also, there are no AGP ports on this system. This actually is a Dell Dimension L500cx made in 2000. I installed the Radeon 7500 PCI card thinking it would be improvement over the onboard Intel i810 graphics chipset and it terms of speed, it was.

I agree with you: NO more AMD/ATI cards for Linux, Lord willing!

Thanks again for your help. smile

PS. The above steps I set out should also work with PCI cards too smile

Accelerated graphics goes a long way with Retro gaming (I remember playing through Super Mario 64 on  Pentium II 233mmx using Corn, and an 8MB 3Dfx Voodoo card). Only 16bit colour, but it was smooth as BUTTER, on a ~200MHz pentium TWO!!!

TWO HUNDRED MEGAHERTZ!!!

Try those steps above if you can, as that machine would be a lot more 'snappy' with accelerated graphics. It would be a contender for Mupen64, PCSX, ZSNES, and even running old Windows titles under WINE.

PS. That link you sent me to was for the NON-LEGACY driver, the LEGACY DRIVER is STILL AVAILABLE, and has been PATCHED and WORKS WITH NEWER KERNELS/Xorg. The LEGACY DRIVER even works with Rage and Mach cards that pre-date Radeons.

Currently Playing:

EDIT: You may be correct, fglrx did not support anything less than the 8500, I had the Radeon 9800SE (softmodded to Pro), which is where the confusion lies. The 9800 ROCKS with fglrx, you need to use the "ati" or "radeon" driver in Xorg.

You do know that Puppy uses VESA as a default, and there is NO graphics acceleration at all?!

You need to install accelerated graphics drivers (available for Intel/NVIDIA/ATI-AMD) usually a .pet install

Currently Playing:

themacmeister wrote:

You do know that Puppy uses VESA as a default, and there is NO graphics acceleration at all?!

Actually, with Precise, I had immediate acceleration. It would load the radeon driver during boot. smile

If I were to sell this as a retro box, my preference would be to find a copy of Windows 98 or just leave it blank and let the buyer install their own OS.

Regards...

np. Sorry for the confusion. I know that pre-Radeon cards had acceleration via the r128 drivers (16bit only?). Even on PPC Linux's smile

Currently Playing: