Re: Nevermania level set

Is that version safe or it is non stable for now? How I can found binaries for that version?

~DEV

It is much more stable than 1.5. Unfortunately it is only available in source form.

Ok, I'll take about 3 hourse to build, but I can do that... Maybe I can compile it and upload online binary, so other people can download it

~DEV

In neverball.org the source download is 1.5.4, how I can download the current source code?

~DEV

Neverball Source

281 (edited by Elviz 2013-04-13 04:46:56)

Level: Inferno

http://uppgarn.com/files/nevermania/inferno-shot-tn.png  http://uppgarn.com/files/nevermania/inferno-game-tn.png

Set against the volcano background, this level requires both thinking and acrobatics. Is it out to get the player? You be the judge.

Contains fire thwomps.

On a technical note, I've finally joined the dark side and used some star-texture-plus-infinite-timer switches of the kind that tones used in Medium 01 and a couple of his own maps. In the end, they may be the most elegant way of implementing triggered actions that must not be interrupted and cannot be repeated or reverted.

Elviz, you have surpassed MYM in beauty and design of levels. congrats!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Elviz wrote:

Contains fire thwomps.

Ha, I completely forgot about that! big_smile

I really need to spend some more time on your levels.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I definitively like the Divina Commedia concept big_smile

Good one, Elviz!

~DEV

I just looked at Inferno. The fire effect is brilliant stuff. It took me a good bit to figure out how you did it, and it's simple, too!

Rotation really opens up a lot of new possibilities, especially with the ability to have separate target paths for controlling the orientation. I couldn't have done it without the latter, so thanks for implementing that, too. smile

Killer level Elviz, I'm stumped as usual :-P

museum.map, v2

• Lowered the goal and removed the glass cage — this should help players who found the goal too hard to reach (example)

• Removed the back wall as it allowed playing carelessly and hoping for a lucky bounce; there are now fall-through curtains at both ends of the museum

• Increased the coin amount required to unlock the goal

• Made the yellow/red coin showcases open faster and their glass covers move higher

• Added chrome arches to the red/blue coin showcases, making the openings easier to see

• Removed the "Fall-out" signs in favour of caution edges

• ...and various tweaks

Updated screenshots are available here.

...your new level, my Nevermania-progress, etc.

INFERNO is a great new level, Elviz.
I found no way so far to overcome those truly appealing but also hateful fire-thwomps.
(Certainly I have a clue how to do it - but somehow new thwomps require new skills I guess...)
For now I gave up on RAILS, DISCS & UFO.
I didn't try ADVENTURE very often, I always wanted to "preserve" this for being the very last level left on my list. And so it will be (hopefully).
I finished RINGS and LADYBIRDS last week and I'm busy completing BUOYS & INFERNO right now (btw. my fast-unlock record for LADYBIRDS is about 45sec. which is pretty good I think... I wonder if this is the place to post a replay of it?? - or if that would be too revealing as this level also requires some thinking).
I don't think that MUSEUM was too difficult the way it was - in fact the only difficult thing (at least in my opinion) about it was how to reach the elevated goal...
I'm not sure if it will still fit in as level NO. 8 of that really demanding Nevermania-set when the goal is almost same height as the floor. Perhaps it would be better placed right after ATRIUM then.

Cheers, dtb

290 (edited by Elviz 2013-05-04 06:27:16)

dtb wrote:

INFERNO is a great new level, Elviz.
I found no way so far to overcome those truly appealing but also hateful fire-thwomps.
(Certainly I have a clue how to do it - but somehow new thwomps require new skills I guess...)

Glad you like the level. Keep me posted about your progress...

(btw. my fast-unlock record for LADYBIRDS is about 45sec. which is pretty good I think... I wonder if this is the place to post a replay of it?? - or if that would be too revealing as this level also requires some thinking).

Nothing wrong with posting replays here. It's probably best, though, to add a spoiler alert to the post(s) in question.

One other thing is that, as work on the levels continues, attached replays may in some cases become outdated, resulting in a version mismatch when playing them back. Not a big issue, just something to be aware of. Especially with newer levels that haven't seen an official release yet (as in: packaged with Neverball 1.6), keeping backward compatibility isn't currently much of a concern.

As for Ladybirds, I recently made a change affecting the blocker and switches in that map. Most replays will still work as expected, you'll just get a warning screen.

I don't think that MUSEUM was too difficult the way it was - in fact the only difficult thing (at least in my opinion) about it was how to reach the elevated goal...

Yes, that was the main difficulty. Once discovered, the official path to the goal was actually relatively easy — chase camera only, no angled acceleration. You didn't even have to bump against any of the walls. The problem was that hardly anyone found that path, and the alternative solutions were mostly unreliable or not much fun to play, leaving some players frustrated. For this reason I decided to make reaching the goal a friendlier experience and shift the focus to coin collecting instead. You now need all of the coins from the showcases, although you can replace some of them with the blue coins from the hall.

I'm not sure if it will still fit in as level NO. 8 of that really demanding Nevermania-set when the goal is almost same height as the floor. Perhaps it would be better placed right after ATRIUM then.

Might be a little too early in the set, given the increased coin goal. Either way, it's true that the change affects the difficulty of the level. The plan still is to reorder the set upon completion. No idea when that's gonna happen, though...

Thanks for your comments!

Spoiler

enclosed my replay of LADYBIRDS - revealing how to grab lower coins in this level and how to activate the final switch without getting stuck...  cheers, dtb

Post's attachments

fwp-18_04.nbr 776.56 kb, 96 downloads since 2013-05-04 

292 (edited by dtb 2013-05-04 12:38:17)

Elviz wrote:

...the problem was that hardly anyone found that path, and the alternative solutions were mostly unreliable or not much fun to play, leaving some players frustrated. For this reason I decided to make reaching the goal a friendlier experience and shift the focus to coin collecting instead. You now need all of the coins from the showcases, although you can replace some of them with the blue coins from the hall

...a certain amount of frustration is just what one expects from a real hard level-set, in the end it wouldn't be such a great reward of winning a level without much blood & tears preceding that glorious moment.

Spoiler

I always took the path across the top of the showcases - left side (same as UAU) - from the very beginning that way was pretty obvious to me - and after a few runs felt totally reliable as well

To put more focus on coin collecting in MUSEUM certainly is a good thing. I think there are no most-coins records for this level so far including the heroic collection of all possible coins (108, right?)

dtb wrote:

[Path to the goal in Museum]

Your (and uau's) solution comes close to what was intended, but it relied on keeping one row of showcases closed. What if you wanted to open both of them to collect all the yellow/red coins inside? After all, that's what the original coin goal of 28 was based on. Mostly what people resorted to in this scenario was bumping against the start pedestal, then the side wall, showcase edge, back wall and another showcase before finally reaching the goal. Cool when it worked, but not really what I thought should be expected of players in this level.

...a certain amount of frustration is just what one expects from a real hard level-set, in the end it wouldn't be such a great reward of winning a level without much blood & tears preceding that glorious moment.

Oh, I don't disagree with that, but as a map author one has to judge whether a specific challenge works well enough. Sometimes making a part easier results in a more convincing gameplay and thus a net gain for the level. Don't worry, there's still a lot of frustration (of the good kind) to be found in Nevermania. smile

I think there are no most-coins records for this level so far including the heroic collection of all possible coins (108, right?)

Not on the Nevertable, anyway. Craven stopped at 88 — not sure why, he still had some time left. But I wouldn't say getting to 108 is all that tough. When it comes to levels with all-coins runs worthy of the term 'heroic', Adventure or UFO are more like it.

BTW, good job with the ladybirds.

294 (edited by dtb 2013-05-07 08:09:34)

Elviz wrote:

...what if you wanted to open both of them to collect all the yellow/red coins inside? After all, that's what the original coin goal of 28 was based on...

Oops, somehow I thought that deactivating a switch in MUSEUM would cause the corresponding showcase to go down again - I wasn't aware that doing so just stops the process of lifting!
Well, now I understand - then there certainly is no way of collecting all coins and using my preferred path to the goal ;(

Did anyone ever finish INFERNO? I'm stumped!

Here are all of my level contributions. Please test and give constructive criticism.

Late to the party but these levels are super-well designed, despite being nowhere near good enough to beat even one of these stages. They make Super Monkey Ball's Master look like a kid's game! big_smile