Re: MOD, PLEASE CLOSE THIS TOPIC: I am porting Neverball to Android.

Yes, I had the app set to expire some time around mid-May.

I've made some general refinements on my code, but the fact is, the earlier problems still persist. I need to find a good Android video screen capturing app--or dig out the tripod from the back of my closet--in order to record for parasti, rlk, or others, what the problem I'm experiencing is (framerate drops, e.t.c.).

As crazy as it sounds I think the latest commits by parasti have improved the gameplay somewhat for certain levels.

If you had shadow turned off in options, that option now actually has effect. That about sums up my changes.

We are making slow but steady progress on the Wiz port, although it will slow down even more, now the main porter has returned to work in Sydney :-(

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Are there any status updates on the Android version smile ?

Most likely you saw it already, but there is progress with the Nokia N900 port, which ran into similar problems, and they found (kind of) a solution.

Is the situation similar on Android devices (newb question) and could the same solution be applicable to the Android version?

Did you already have any luck profiling?

No updates. I've been busy updating my other Android app, Shelves, and stopped playing with the port.

I will most definitely take a look at what's going on with the N900 and try to see if anything can be applied to the Android version!

Well, I set the UPS to 30 as the other thread suggested. While the level did play better, I got much more "blurriness," as shown in the attachment.

I'll keep trying, though!

Post's attachments

screenshot-1310444574348.png 412.94 kb, 46 downloads since 2011-07-11 

That's weird ... And you get less of the same at higher UPS? (I don't think I've seen something like this.)

Is your version based on the latest trunk?

It is based on the latest trunk, yes. I did not try setting the UPS higher than 90, which was what it's at normally--but what the heck, maybe I should...

Direct from an earlier chat with RLK:

"Robert: The solution to the sky is to simply clear the color buffer."

straight from the horses mouth...

(PS. Don't know if this is the blurriness issue above tho)

Currently Playing:

But that's cheating.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I am still working on.

I completely broke my entire app build trying to do something "efficient." In short: I used to cheat and have the data folder copied to the SD card. This resulted in about a two minute wait the first time the app was run. Decided that this completely sucked, I instead tried to read the game data directly from the packaged Android app itself (which is essentially just a zip, so PhysicsFS can handle it).

Long story short, that doesn't appear to be as easy as I thought. While I can see all the game data, I apparently can't read any of it.

I'm torn between distributing a 50 MB app on a mobile device, or making a 25 MB app work. I am struggling to complete the latter. I'll toss all the code on GitHub if it ends up working out.

112 (edited by parasti 2011-10-25 14:00:19)

Put the contents of the data directory into a data-x.y.z.zip and install it as neverball/data/data-x.y.z.zip?

gjtorikian wrote:

I'll toss all the code on GitHub if it ends up working out.

This is kinda exciting. Out of curiosity, is there a reason you wouldn't be committing directly to the SVN repository?

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Cheese mentioned this on IRC, too. I'd actually prefer it be on Github as that makes it easier for me to work with, but a branch in SVN is fine, too.

115 (edited by gjtorikian 2011-10-25 21:59:43)

Oh, there's an IRC channel? I wouldn't mind joining that and discussing this further.

Here's basically how I've handled this spin-off/port: every so often, I'll synch to the SVN. Whatever works for me, I keep. Whatever doesn't work, I have to wrap around a preprocessor instruction, like #define ANDROID, and redo. I know that there are some general coding guidelines, but I did not know if this was the appropriate way to handle the situation. My life would be much easier if the preprocessing work could be submitted directly to the trunk code, since I wouldn't have to diff so many times with so many false positives (i.e., diffing against actual new content, and diffing only to discover that my preprocessor instructions caused a mismatch). Edit: also, none of the Wii configuration works either. No idea how hard it would be--I know you can pair Android to a Wiimote, but I've never tested it myself.

As well, I have my own GitHub account, I know how to use git better, so I feel more comfortable putting it there. But in a better world it would be added as its own "flavor."

parasti wrote:

Put the contents of the data directory into a data-x.y.z.zip and install it as neverball/data/data-x.y.z.zip?

That's more or less how I've done it. Reading the Android data files is tricky, since it's a zip within a zip--so I'm trying to modify the PhysicsFS code as gently as possible. Previously, it was just a simple matter of making the data directory the sd card--no muss, no fuss. Now, I'm thinking I have to prepend the path to the data zip before any fs_open() call. That doesn't sound very efficient, though.

gjtorikian wrote:

Oh, there's an IRC channel? I wouldn't mind joining that and discussing this further.

I only found out about the IRC channel recently as well  :doh:

My life would be much easier if the preprocessing work could be submitted directly to the trunk code

I imagine that it'd be worthwhile to eventually incorporate all your work into the trunk.

But in a better world it would be added as its own "flavor."

I'm not sure what you mean by "flavour".

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I am so much looking forward to this. Just out of curiosity, will the GLES code be compatible with 1.1 spec?

I'm sure the rest of the code can be massaged into compiling for GP2X WiZ smile

Currently Playing:

gjtorikian wrote:

Yeah, it's #neverball on Freenode. I don't idle there much though (IRC becomes a major distraction for me), but I may join randomly sometimes.

Here's basically how I've handled this spin-off/port: every so often, I'll synch to the SVN. Whatever works for me, I keep. Whatever doesn't work, I have to wrap around a preprocessor instruction, like #define ANDROID, and redo. I know that there are some general coding guidelines, but I did not know if this was the appropriate way to handle the situation. My life would be much easier if the preprocessing work could be submitted directly to the trunk code.

I wouldn't mind that at all, but it depends on what the changes are. I'd need to look at it first.

parasti wrote:

That's more or less how I've done it. Reading the Android data files is tricky, since it's a zip within a zip--so I'm trying to modify the PhysicsFS code as gently as possible. Previously, it was just a simple matter of making the data directory the sd card--no muss, no fuss. Now, I'm thinking I have to prepend the path to the data zip before any fs_open() call. That doesn't sound very efficient, though.

I meant for when you copy it over (or is that bad practice under Android). The installation is not going to be lightning fast, but it won't be uncompressed 50 MB and two minutes of copying.

Reading a ZIP from within a ZIP sounds like a major PITA, I wouldn't want to go there.

119 (edited by gjtorikian 2011-10-27 00:11:04)

Well, here's my update du jour: I suspect something in trunk is broken, for at least my mobile device.

After hours of debugging on my end, I decided to try synching to the last update to branch/gles, and lo!, the game worked on my phone! To be clear: it's not that the phone isn't finding the data files (as I originally thought) but that the game isn't running at all. No crash, no error logs. Just a black screen, and absolutely no sound.

I checked out #3660 from the trunk; no luck in a fix. Right now, I just tried #3624, also to no success. I find it difficult to belief that something so adverse occurred in the weeks between the merging of the branches, but who knows.

Edit: I couldn't even get #3608 (the commit after the merge) to work. That scares me. Can anyone else with a mobile build (N900?) confirm? I would prefer that I am doing something wrong.  hmm

You and mardy (Maemo porter) have previously both confirmed that the trunk code works, in the OpenGL ES thread.

121 (edited by gjtorikian 2011-10-28 15:53:25)

There are a few variables since then, though:

1. The SDL 1.2 port to Android has changed their code
2. The Neveball code in trunk has changed
3. The Android NDK for C development code has changed at least two major revisions (from r4 to r6b)
4. My phone has had an OS upgrade

I'm not sure what is "proven" by the fact that the last branch commit works and the trunk commits don't, but there's clearly some nefarious entity blocking me at this moment. I'm investigating #3 and #4, since experience has shown that for every update Google makes, they've invariable broken something else.

NINJA EDIT #4: Recompiling the data folder makes the magic come back, at least for rev 3648.

It's done: http://forum.nevercorner.net/viewtopic. … 317#p26317

Hopefully a mod can close this topic?