Re: Tones Levels (the thread formerly known as "level feedback?")

Sweet. I don't have a release planned in the near future (let's say for the next month or so), so there's no rush or anything.

Yes! I just won level 8! big_smile
And plus, I get to post more of my thoughts for some more levels! wink

Level 9: I think this is a very fun level, but it is a little too easy so maybe you should have to get more coins
then normal, and maybe give the player a little less time.

Level 10: This is one of my favorite levels in this level set!
The first a few parts reminds me of a sewer adventure!

Level 11: I like the end. smile

Level 12: Not too hard, I won it on the first few tries.

Level 13: Again not too hard.

Level 14: Yet again not too hard.
(I do like the idea where if your on the red, you fall-out.)

Level 15: Quite hard but anyway, I like it when the ball starts to go really fast!

Level 16: I didn't win this level yet, the part with the big loop is very difficult.

Bonus level 1: I didn't win this level yet, but it's good. smile

Bonus level 2: This level is very hard and I didn't win it, but
once I flew of the track and I saw a glass platform, but I didn't land on it. sad
(Is that a secret in the level or something?)

When I get to the other levels I will post more of my thoughts.

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988
avatar drawn with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled down with GIMP
にほんご べんきょう する。 (i am studying japanese)

Good work tones. big_smile
I always knew your set would make it into trunk someday. smile

I tried to download this pack, but I got an error. (Opera)
Using Chromium the download link send me to an error message of this site:
Forum message:
Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated.

So is it outdated, or is there something on my side to be fixed?

That's the error message I get when I am not logged into the forum and I try to download an attachment.
Are you sure you were logged in?

I just tested this in Chromium and Opera and both seemed happy.

Let me know if you still have problems.

Basically speaking, guests are not permitted to download attachments.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

157 (edited by sdavidjacobsen 2011-03-22 17:26:37)

Just registered on the forum, so i could download this lvl. pack.. And I really enjoy playing this levels, so keep
up the good work.. smile

thanks, glad you are enjoying them.

tonesfrommars wrote:

thanks, glad you are enjoying them.

Some of the levels is really epic especially level 8  smile
Are you making more levels btw?

tones, these are great!
I suck at them, but they're great. You've implemented really cool gameplay ideas there big_smile

One question. In descent (the last level), I seemed to be accelerating up the ramp at the beginning far faster than I was expecting. Is there anything exciting that's responsible for that?

You may want to do something in discs that makes it a little more obvious that you're meant to go down first. I spent forever trying work out how to get by the spikes at the top of the first lift  :doh:

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Feedback: They're so awesome that they will be included in the next version!

Here are all of my level contributions. Please test and give constructive criticism.

I would imagine that tones is aware of this, being one of our lead mappers and all.

parasti wrote:

I would imagine that tones is aware of this, being one of our lead mappers and all.

Yes, I'm sure he is.

@tones: Maybe you should think about making five more levels... just a suggestion...

Here are all of my level contributions. Please test and give constructive criticism.

Hey thanks for the comments cheese!
Not sure which level you mean by "descent"...  is that the one with the very long twisting climb at the start? (twisted.sol) "#15"
yeah, in discs I figured there would be an "ah hah" moment, but I could certainly add a clue if it's annoying or misleading.

@ed49, yes, tha plan is make a complete set of 25. It's just so hard to find the time (and come up with new ideas)

My apologies, yeah, "twisted" (not sure where I got descent from  - maybe I've been longing for some innovative 90s FPS/flight sim action).

I'd definitely add a clue to discs, or move the level so that it's slightly more revealed in the flyby (I noticed that I could go down on my fourth fallout).

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

In my opinion there's no clue needed for "discs" for it already IS sort of a clue that you can't go on when you go up (so where would you go next anyway?); moreover it's just a good feeling you get - even if it lasts for only 1 second - the moment you find out for yourself; a clue would simply take that yeah-I-found-the-hidden-path-feeling away from this level.

I think lvl8 "bumperoo" would definitely fit better among the last levels of your set (it's blocking the way a bit where it is now - at least it felt like that for me)

btw. why did you omit lvl10 of a former version of your set (see replay)? - I really liked the challenge here, it took a lot of concentration and very precise movement

cheers

dtb

Post's attachments

tones-10_02.nbr 1.54 mb, 66 downloads since 2011-10-21 

I mean this could've been your 21st level...

Hey dtb:

thanks for the nudge. I don't even know if I have that map anymore, I'll have to go digging. I guess I just felt the level wasn't very original and was a little bit annoying (its form of difficulty was maybe a little tedious)
I would like to watch your replay, but I'll have to go find that map again.
Sooner or later I will complete the set, it's just so hard to find any time for fun stuff like that these days.

here's the zip with the map for "not-so-easy"

it's just one of the more "quiet" levels where there's not so much fun while playing but you can feel the true reward it holds for you once you can make it all the way through to the goal for the first time; so it's all about winning it here (and not necessarily enjoying); the same feeling for me with RDF20 or NM10.

Post's attachments

tones-1.1.zip 3.24 mb, 83 downloads since 2011-11-23 

There's was a package called tones-1.1.zip in the official site's server some times ago. there was also this level. why is not included in 2010-release?

~DEV

171 (edited by NeverHacker 2013-11-26 01:39:22)

COMO LO DESCARGO????

¿what´s up? *Gus

I really love your levels

Here are some replays I did on your levels.

Post's attachments

tones-02_01.nbr 752.44 kb, 14 downloads since 2018-12-30 

tones-08_01.nbr 681.72 kb, 15 downloads since 2018-12-30 

tones-14_02.nbr 3.04 mb, 15 downloads since 2018-12-30 

tones-16_01.nbr 746.78 kb, 17 downloads since 2018-12-30 

tones-IV_01.nbr 488.08 kb, 16 downloads since 2018-12-30 

Download my levels here: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=3147
Progress: 73/100

173 (edited by chmod 700 2018-12-31 03:41:21)

I think my favorite level is bonus I. Then again, 12 is really hard (though, I just now beat it twice in a row...), and there is always 9, 10, 15, and 16 to ruin your challenge runs. (I have never beaten Tones in challenge mode, but I am close.) And then there is III, which I actually remixed as bonus IV in my own set but made it so you actually try to score points, rather than work from 10 to 100 in sequence.
    (Just got under 25.00 in Tones 15...) Oh now that is mean. Tones 15 seems to have a mistake. The Fast Unlock times are 18.00 and 18.50, and the Best Times are more than 26.50 (I have swept the Medium time out of existence...). But Fast Unlock times are a restriction on Best Times... (Also, can someone prove that 17.99 or less is possible??)
    Another mishap: For challenge mode, best times shows :0:00.00 which I assume means 100:00.00 (by extension from 50 and 75 minute times...). It should be changed to 99:59.99 or else the bug should be fixed.
    (Speaking of challenge mode: are your failed runs counted towards the total time? I am trying to get under 6:00 in Easy and can never quite get there.)

Post's attachments

Last.nbr 429.27 kb, 14 downloads since 2018-12-30 

http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?pid=34398  The Levels Are Here!!!

Name pronounced /tʃə.ˈmɑd/ ("chuh-mod") followed by the digits "seven zero zero".

174 (edited by KodeBreaker 2018-12-31 04:10:02)

chmod 700 wrote:

(I have never beaten Tones in challenge mode, but I am close.)

Tones in challenge mode can be difficult, but it's worth it after completing it.

I really hope to see the set finished, these levels are really amazing.

I have a lot of favorite levels. (12, 14, 16, IV)

chmod 700 wrote:

And then there is III, which I actually remixed as bonus IV in my own set but made it so you actually try to score points, rather than work from 10 to 100 in sequence.

Now I'm even more excited to play your set!

chmod 700 wrote:

(Speaking of challenge mode: are your failed runs counted towards the total time? I am trying to get under 6:00 in Easy and can never quite get there.)

Yes.

Download my levels here: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=3147
Progress: 73/100