1 (edited by Arceus 2009-02-22 17:01:41)

Topic: Switches on Medium 02

Do you ever wonder why those switches are on Medium level 02? In fact, those switches are treacherous! I was once playing a game on Medium 02, and I went on the tower nearest the goal, and it put the goal in a "cage"!
I wanted to investigate the switches, so I went onto the tower near the ramp with yellow coins on the edges. That one went high into the air, then brought me down hard. I then went to the last tower, and that one did the unthinkable. It removed the walls in some places, and in their place were lots of Thwomps!

A signature?
Now why would I need one of those?

Re: Switches on Medium 02

big_smile Yes I believe the switches are for advanced players looking for a good freestyle replay...

BTW, welcome to the forum! And, the "img" tag is for links to images, but they must be accessible through internet, ie. not on your local hard disk but on some server.

I have now removed the faulty image code.

A signature?

4 (edited by themacmeister 2009-02-22 23:52:04)

nue wrote:

ie. not on your local hard disk but on some server.

I use imageshack for posting all my screenshots online - easy and free!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

nue wrote:

big_smile Yes I believe the switches are for advanced players looking for a good freestyle replay...

You're right nue smile
However I have to admit it's quite unfair for new players who stick on this level until they reach all 3 switches.
Dave already warned me ^^

BTW, thx for your feedback Arceus.

I just went on the "throwing" switch and went below it while it was up high. I thought it would knock me off the tower when it dropped, but instead, I was hit INTO the tower!

A signature?

Yeah, as the physics engine only deals with solid objects (no soft nor elastic), when the ball is squeezed by a moving platform, the behavior is unpredictable.
There are only very few places in 1.5.0 where that can happen.

That is true. It does seem that the switches are for higher ability players.

The third switch does cage up the goal, and I think I have found a way to get to the goal with that switch activated.

1) Activate the switch.

2) Go back to the first bumps in the level.

3) Go maximum speed onto the bumps, causing the ball to fly in the air.

4) With the skill, you can make the ball land on the platform where the target is.

I still have not tested this if it works or not. I think it is the reason why Robert Kooima caged the target on that switch.

~~~~~~~~
Neveromar
!

Mehdi designed that level, actually.

Oh, I thought it was Robert Kooima.

Medium is one of Robert Kooima's sets.

Shouldn't it be Robert Kooima?

Neveromar cool

~~~~~~~~
Neveromar
!

Hi neveromar:

Originally, rlk authored the easy and hard sets.
In preparation for the 1.5 release several of us contributed new levels to redistribute the existing EASY and HARD across three sets (adding MEDIUM) with the goal of providing a more gradual learning curve.

If you're ever curious, you can open the .map file with a text editor and glance at the "author" attribute in the worldspawn entity near the top.

13 (edited by jammnrose 2011-02-21 08:50:23)

You know, if I can remember right, X-Moto displays the maps author name up in the corner or somewhere upon the screen (not installed right now)... I'm not sure we want to do this as it puts unnecessary UI clutter on the screen, but maybe we could stick a list in somewhere else (Options->About)?

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.