1 (edited by Dave 2005-11-23 05:29:35)

Topic: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

After how many months of trying? Too many! Actually, I would give it a rest for several weeks at a time, and try it for while, then put it aside again. Well, tonight I picked it up and can finally put it down for good.

(I hope Tuxmym doesn't burst my bubble by beating my record within the week...)

I just posted it on the table. And just in case there is any doubt as to whether or not I made it in the goal ( You'll see what I mean when you see the replay...) here is the proof- observe the best times scores:

http://members.cox.net/dolsen6/Mehdi24-proof.jpg

Rejoice with me, my friends!

EDIT: This also happens to be my 300th post! Good times all around!

2

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Bloody Bewdy Mate! You little Ripper!

themacmeister salutes you!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

3

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

This is unbelievable Dave ! Congratulations !
kao_pompom kao_pompom kao_pompom kao_pompom
This new excellent record have changed my mind on lucky best times replays: when we created the Nevertable with Shino, we thought we will not accept lucky replays in the best time category. However, after some months of activity, we haven't seen so much lucky replays, and when we found such one replay, another guy where able to beat the previous one, prooving that with some patience and technique, the lucky part can be reduced to allow doing great things again. That's why I will accept from now "lucky" best time replays.
BTW Shino, you can remove M24 from the black list of the best time replays in the conditions page wink

4

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Dave wrote:

(I hope Tuxmym doesn't burst my bubble by beating my record within the week...)

I'm not sure I'll try, but maybe within some weeks I'll do some attempts wink as you have prooved it is feasible.

5

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Tuxmym wrote:

BTW Shino, you can remove M24 from the black list of the best time replays in the conditions page wink

I also just uploaded an Easy 11 Speed Run... I think you should remove that one from the blacklist as well, since you will see that it is possible to get speedier than previously thought(the "normal" way).

6

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Dave wrote:
Tuxmym wrote:

BTW Shino, you can remove M24 from the black list of the best time replays in the conditions page wink

I also just uploaded an Easy 11 Speed Run... I think you should remove that one from the blacklist as well, since you will see that it is possible to get speedier than previously thought(the "normal" way).

I understand, but what about H04 ? The shortcut is really faster than the normal way, but I think there is no interest in such replay.
Your replay is more interesting as you used a "freestyle" technique.
The problem is for intermediate cases... do we have to accept any record for any level or not ?

7

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

I'm not in support of "any record for any level"... BUT :
I think the issue with H04 is the same as with E01 - You don't have to do anything special to get to the goal quickly (simply roll forward in E01, just fall off in the right direction in H04). I think that in any level where you can get to the goal quicker by "doing something" should be on the table. For example, until someone (probably you!) discovered the Easy21 trick of jumping up to the top platform, it would have been very boring to watch a "best time" replay of this level... But since you found a quicker way, it is on the table. Just as before I came up with my Mehdi02 speed run idea, it was not on the table either, since it would have been boring and uninteresting to watch or try and beat. Same with Mehdi24. But, they are on the table now, and I don't think that's a bad thing...

Just my ideas - you don't have to take them. I'm perfectly fine with it being a freestyle - but I'll bet it could be a contender in the speed records, too. It's up to you.

8

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

*faints*

Seriously though, congrats, Dave. This one is *the* best.

9

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Thanks, parasti. It is certainly *my* best. I am so happy that it actually worked out.

Your recent records on the table are also very impressive. You smashed some of the old records quite thoroughly.

10

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Dave wrote:

I'm not in support of "any record for any level"... BUT :
I think the issue with H04 is the same as with E01 - You don't have to do anything special to get to the goal quickly (simply roll forward in E01, just fall off in the right direction in H04). I think that in any level where you can get to the goal quicker by "doing something" should be on the table. For example, until someone (probably you!) discovered the Easy21 trick of jumping up to the top platform, it would have been very boring to watch a "best time" replay of this level... But since you found a quicker way, it is on the table. Just as before I came up with my Mehdi02 speed run idea, it was not on the table either, since it would have been boring and uninteresting to watch or try and beat. Same with Mehdi24. But, they are on the table now, and I don't think that's a bad thing...

Just my ideas - you don't have to take them. I'm perfectly fine with it being a freestyle - but I'll bet it could be a contender in the speed records, too. It's up to you.

I'm ok with your conditions for the record admission.

11

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Yes I'm ok too ^^

12

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Slightly off topic,

but is anyone interested in my slick freestyle replay of me on Bud's "caution J-ramps" level (5?).

I jump directly from a J to another J and then to the teleport. It took me many, many attempts, but could definitely be the way to the fastest time on this level...

Anyone?

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

13

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Of course we are all interested in it, macmeister. But since there is no BUD section on the table, we have to share them in other ways... If you email me your replay, I'd be happy host it on my webspace for a few weeks.

14

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

I'd be happy to to see it, too. It looks like Tuxmym was inspired by this technique with doing M07 in a shorter time.

15

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Sebastian, i've posted a link to macmeister's replay in the Level contributions -> Buds levels thread here.

16

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Dave wrote:
Tuxmym wrote:

BTW Shino, you can remove M24 from the black list of the best time replays in the conditions page wink

I also just uploaded an Easy 11 Speed Run... I think you should remove that one from the blacklist as well, since you will see that it is possible to get speedier than previously thought(the "normal" way).

Hah, you only bounce by hitting the edge. I did it the first time i wass passing the level...

17

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Ahh, but what time did you get, Sonic?
Try to get close to my time(or mym, who refined my technique for a slightly faster time -- a common occurence!)... you'll see it takes a special technique beyond simply tilting forward and doing a big bounce off the rail. You have to find a way to minimize the height of the bounce, so your momentum stays mostly horizontal instead of changing to vertical.

btw, what you described was exactly what I meant when I said the "normal" way - I was not referring to going around the outside.)

18 (edited by Sonic_Moronic 2007-02-04 09:54:50)

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Well, with the "normal" way i got 3.84 sec.

What did you get? I dont feel like downloading a replay right now..

19

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

My best time is 3.20 sec , mym's is 3.00, and I just saw that Kwriss's best is 2.93 sec.
Like I said, if you will try to improve your time on Easy 11, you'll see that it is impossible to get such low times by simply going forward and hitting the bar, since it launches you nearly vertical when hit straight on...
Once you start to feel confident in predicting the outcome of hitting corners/edges, you will open up all sorts of fun possiblities - not only for speed records, but faster coin collecting, and my personal favorite: Freestyle!

20

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Amazing, Dave!  Great work!

21

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Thanks, Krabby! It took a *lot* of attempts to set that record. Hopefully, Elviz won't be able to duplicate it and I'll always have at least one speed record... (actually, once 1.5 comes out, I'll have to do it all over again. Yikes!)

22

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Dave wrote:

Hopefully, Elviz won't be able to duplicate it

Just a matter of time, Dave.  tongue

23

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

parasti wrote:
Dave wrote:

Hopefully, Elviz won't be able to duplicate it

Just a matter of time, Dave.  tongue

Argh. You're so right!

Actually, I'm not 100% sure if it will be possible in 1.5, as the bounce physics code has changed somewhat... But I'll certainly attempt it. smile

24

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Dave wrote:

(actually, once 1.5 comes out, I'll have to do it all over again. Yikes!)

Now that 1.5 is out, I'm attempting this again, and I've gotten pretty close- it's definitely possible. Who knows how long it will actually take to get it, but it *will* happen!

(It's also gratifying that I am able to succesfully complete mym's 1st level set in challenge mode on the first try, and only losing a few balls to fall-outs along the way... I still haven't actually completed the last level of his second set... but I'll confess I haven't made very many attempts.)

25

Re: I did it! Mehdi 24 Speed Record/Freestyle!

Great news Dave, I'm eager to watch this performance once again.
I hope you'll show us some new enjoyable runs, now you have more levels and smoother curves to continue expressing your impressive skills smile