Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/neverforum.com/public_html/fmpbo/include/parser.php on line 756

Topic: Updating replays in response to moved goals

Dave wrote:

It seems like fixing alignment on goals would necessitate declaring replays of those levels as invalid, since it's entirely possible that the final timing of the replay would be affected by as much as a couple hundredths of a second...

[...]

I'd still like a couple more opinions, though... mym, parasti, Elviz?

The solution is to build a slightly modified version of Neverball which is able to programmatically measure the time at which the ball enters the goal in a replay. Once you've got that, load the replay in question, and if the resulting time differs from what is saved in the replay file, simply update the time field.

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/customer/www/neverforum.com/public_html/fmpbo/include/parser.php on line 814

Re: Updating replays in response to moved goals

I still cannot believe this idea, that moving a goal 1 or 2 units (I believe the ball is 16 units across), and in a map that could be 2000 units across, and travelling at the equivalent of 500 units/sec, and worrying about times?

At this rate, the most a time would be off would be 1/500th second, and I don't think neverball is that accurate.

All this worry over a replay, that will STILL obviously be the FASTEST replay!!

Just leave it, and when the table gets split into 1.4/1.5 sections, everything will start afresh (won't it?)

hmm

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

I say we invalidate the replays.

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/neverforum.com/public_html/fmpbo/include/parser.php on line 811

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/customer/www/neverforum.com/public_html/fmpbo/include/parser.php on line 814

Perhaps replays should be checked first. If they still work on the exact same time frame, I'd say no change.

Otherwise, either update them, or give them an incompatible tag.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!

My opinion is to just add the a tag, then wait and see what happens.
After some months, if some players argue these replays cannot be beaten, we'll think about removing them.

I don't think that strategy is going to work.  There is no way to tell when a record "can not be beaten".  I have spent hours trying to beat one of my own records, and haven't even come close.  For me, this means that it can not be beaten.  I could complain.  Would you remove it?  How can I determine if I can not beat it because the goal was moved a couple of units or because I'm just not that good at Neverball any more?

Ok parasti.
As this concerns only few replays, maybe your solution will save us a lot of time.
Except it someone is well motivated to try a solution like Elviz' one...

I think any effort spent coding a new version of Neverball to compare replay finishing times would be better spent coding the few remaining tickets for the 1.5 release...

I am not considering it because such a solution would bias the accuracy of a replay and accuracy is what this discussion is about.  Anything that happens after the point where the ball enters the goal is out of player's control.

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/neverforum.com/public_html/fmpbo/include/parser.php on line 756

parasti wrote:

I am not considering it because such a solution would bias the accuracy of a replay and accuracy is what this discussion is about.  Anything that happens after the point where the ball enters the goal is out of player's control.

In the replays in question, the ball, after entering the goal, continues to move in the same direction for at least several tenths of a second. Measuring the new time wouldn't be a problem. It's not like Neverball randomly beams the ball to the opposite side of the level upon reaching the goal.

The gravity is inverted, for one, and the resulting fly-up is recorded in the replay.  Not quite the opposite side of the level, but enough to bias accuracy.