26 (edited by jammnrose 2007-05-18 09:48:53)

Re: Mac OS X binaries of SVN version

I wasn't able to get the modified svn committed or the binary built. Hopefully I will get to it within the week.

EDIT: I have the macosx directory down to about 4mb, I can slim it about another 2.5mb down to 1.5mb by removing the source gimp file. What are peoples opinions on this?

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

let's see... 26MB down to 1.5MB = 94% reduction in size... I'd say that's really great, jammnrose! 1.5MB seems perfectly acceptable to me. Good work!

r931.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

r1100, using all newest libraries and SDLMain.h/.m are from the devel extras now!!!

r1104
This is built completely following my tutorial and with the files named in the tutorial!

r1117
This build uses the newest icons.
Can someone also please tell me why neverball/putt switches to a different icon in the dock when it launches? (it switches to an icon that looks really crappy)

I see you already found out yourself.  smile  Things to fix:  you've used C++ style comments and haven't applied the same change to Neverputt.

Yeah, I just fixed that... tongue

r1124

As you can see I'm doing builds quite frequently.
I've been testing with 2xAA and everything looks great. (any over 2xAA I start having performance issues, and this is on a MBP C2D @ 2.33Ghz!)
Everything seems fine though. Does someone else want to test it as well?

r1140.

37 (edited by themacmeister 2007-09-30 07:50:55)

Hi Jamm,

Just FYI, I now have a Kalyway OSX 10.4.10 Hackintosh setup, with new GeForce 7600GT.

I tried installing Neverball/putt from an old r795 build, and Neverputt works perfectly, although Neverball crashes just as the starting animation begins with a (from what I can make out) mathematics related error.

I will try the latest build, and let you know if I have any success...

(I only have emulated SSE3 instructions, and emulated VectorLib maths - is there any VecLib calculations in the source?) - the easiest way around this would be an Intel only build.

Let me test the latest version first pls.

*** Pacman bonus level with GF7600GT = average 180fps @ 1024x768 2xAA 4xAF - WOOT!!! ***

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

38 (edited by jammnrose 2007-09-29 16:14:44)

r1174

So the new build works on Hackintosh?

1140 did not work, although I do have XCode, and might try my own build at some point (maybe).

I have r1174 queued for download, and will try it out on Hackintosh tomorrow. (10.4.10 & 10.4.6/8)

Older builds worked on 10.4.6/10.4.8 - new version (kernel?) breaks many games - especially commercial/binary-only games smile - says something for open source really!

I need to rebuild the SemtheX 8.8.1 Beta9 kernel. I have XCode, Kernel-Tools, etc. What I do not have is the instructions for building an OpenDarwin kernel... I am hoping it is as simple as a ./configure ./make in the terminal, but there seems to be no information on the internet regarding this anymore (THANKS APPLE!!!) sad

Any help appreciated! big_smile

Currently Playing:

I have failed miserably trying to install the SemtheX kernel 8.8.1 Beta9 onto OSX86 10.4.8.

The Neverball error message states something like "Cannot do intrinsic yet" or something similar. I take this as being an SSE3 instruction, and not all SSE3 instructions are emulated on my Hackintosh. Why Neverputt still runs is a total mystery.

Bejewelled 2 (PPC) runs slowly, the new Bejewelled 2 (Intel) complains about "NO HWID"  - This is probably graphic card/Natit related error.

Thanks for the great work Jamm!

Currently Playing:

STOP PRESS!

I managed to get OSX86 up and running on my SSE3 machine, and Neverball now runs (if you call 30fps on easy1 running!). Neverputt = 250-500fps, so something mathematical is definitely getting emulated still.

I am still using the pre-installed SSE2 kernel with patches/decrypts. I will switch this for a SSE3 only kernel as soon as I can. I will study the installer packages and see what I can replace with pristine copies, see if that helps.

PS. My Acer has only got a 300W power supply, so I am beginning to worry that with the GeForce and new harddrive etc. it may be getting dangerously close to 0 watts available smile

Currently Playing:

r1190
compile changes: uses latest libiconv library

STOP PRESS

I was unable to get USB working at all (even with 2 port PCI card). This, along with some other issues specific to this one machine, has led me to put the project on hold for a while. I will rety things when I get the 10.4.8 DVD with Semthex kernel 8.8.1. Darn SiS 661GX chipset... grrrrrrrr

sad

Currently Playing:

hmm

OK, some sort of success. Downgraded (TWICE!) to JaS 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3. First time I ran NB, it crashed with an error message about SDL_Quartz_Window leaking like a macrame diaphragm...

After switching from Titan.kext to Natit.kext to Natit_Dual.kext, I can now run Neverball (about 150fps on easy 1). Unfortunately, I think the reflections aren't working - on starting screen, halo is reflected under platform, and on subsequent launches, it runs very choppy, with the FPS going from approx. 20 to approx. 150fps. I have reinstalled AGPGART1.2, and now I will experiment with different AGP Aperture sizes (was set at 64MB, need to check at 128, 256, 16, 32MB). Not only is it not crashing, there are no extraneous error messages when launched from the terminal.

Fingers crossed!!

PS. Neverputt is working like a charm - 250 to 500fps - smooth as silk!

PPS. Is it possible to build an Intel-only build? I would appreciate that very much...

Currently Playing:

Intel only? Um, I guess so. Is there a particular reason?

I'm just trying to narrow down any problems. Armagetron and GLTron are both working at max settings at hundreds of frames a second. MacCrackAttack is working smoothly, OpenFire, FretsOnFire etc etc.

If you could check your iTunes fullscreen visualization framerate - there are options in one of the menu/submenus. My value never gets over 30fps (not locked to 30 either). I would have expected more for a 3.0GHz P4 with GeForce 7600GT.

I am currently using the SemtheX kernel 8.8.1, which is the first to emulate ALL missing SSE3 opcodes (there are only about 6). I believe if your program (or OpenGL) uses one of these opcodes, your program performance is slowed to approx. 1/4 due to the emulation. These are obviously heavy mathematics functions, which Neverball may be able to bypass for more generic maths. It could also be VectorLib, or over-optimisation of the build.

Anyways, I've almost run out of options to try. An Intel build (on Caffeinatedcotent?) might be my last hope...

Currently Playing:

You know, I could just use a tool that strips PPC code (Xslimmer)... Would that be good enough?
Otherwise I can try to make an Intel build.

I have gone back to Kalyway 10.4.10, and I'm quite happy with Neverputt only (I have my other Open Source games running OK). Don't go to any great trouble, I doubt an Intel build would cure the OpenGL issues anyway, as other programs are affected (not many tho!).

Cheers for your help - keep up the great work with the builds - It looks like I will get some work soon, and I will save up for a real iMac (2GB RAM, GeForce XX00 etc etc).

Currently Playing:

I hope you manage to get it wor... Oooo look! An iMac! wink