Re: Nevermania level set

Maybe I should have said 100% K

Anyways, I think you can see what I mean at the bottom of Tonesfrommars post...

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

52 (edited by Elviz 2007-08-05 01:23:34)

I have converted my levels to the format used by Neverball 1.5-dev. An updated zip file (v0.5c) is available for download.

The set also has a new title. It's now called Nevermania.

53 (edited by Elviz 2012-04-12 19:36:55)

Level: Tree

http://uppgarn.com/files/nevermania/tree-shot-tn.png  http://uppgarn.com/files/nevermania/tree-game-tn.png

Here's a new level. If you like climbing trees, this one should be fun.

very clever looking level, Elviz! I dig those leaves!

I wonder if just plain grass(ala my texture pack) would fit a little better with the theme, instead of checked grass... but that's a minor detail.

Nice.  I think we need more wood textures.

indeed, some bark maybe?

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

jammnrose wrote:

indeed, some bark maybe?

Eh not really.  While Elviz' design is inspired by a tree, there's no real attempt to fool the eye into actually believing it's a tree.

Nor does there need to be.  I don't think "natural" or "organic" has any place in the visual design of Neverball.  It's all smooth and polished.  I'm just getting tired of the one wood texture we've got.  Clearly people like the wood look, so this one texture is popping up everywhere.  It was always intended as a trim texture though, and not a material as such.  It's just motion-blurred noise with a woodish color balance.  I'm suggesting we could do with a better variety of real wood grain.

oh alright, maybe ill have a look at what i can do in photoshop.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

rlk wrote:

I'm suggesting we could do with a better variety of real wood grain.

Got any fancy grain imagery from that Russion church of yours?
Maybe that's all proprietary, just a thought..  big_smile

60 (edited by jammnrose 2007-05-01 20:59:06)

how about this:

http://caffeinatedcontent.com/neverball/images/non-website/wood.jpg

i also noticed that mym is the one who likes to use wood a lot tongue. we actually have very few levels that use wood (or at least a lot).

I like it jammnrose. Very nice texture.

smile thanks, whipped it up in about 10min.

Man, Elviz.
Your levels are unbelievably difficult.
I've squeaked by the first 3, working on no. 4 (the flags one)
I would enjoy seeing a replay or two, particularly of the flags level (hint, hint...!)

Looks good, jammnrose.  Lets go with 256x256 on all new textures.

And if you make more, try to make sure they look attractive next to each other, checker-boarded, and next to other textures.  This is really subjective and difficult, but often just tweaking the saturation or color balance will do it.

i can do 256, thats what i started with!

try these on for size:
http://caffeinatedcontent.com/neverball/images/non-website/wood.jpg

http://caffeinatedcontent.com/neverball/images/non-website/wood-check.jpg

http://caffeinatedcontent.com/neverball/images/non-website/wood-lighter.jpg

rlk wrote:

And if you make more, try to make sure they look attractive next to each other, checker-boarded, and next to other textures.

do you just mean that they tile ok?

jammnrose wrote:
rlk wrote:

And if you make more, try to make sure they look attractive next to each other, checker-boarded, and next to other textures.

do you just mean that they tile ok?

I'm pretty sure he means that if you(or someone else) makes more wood textures, that the wood will look good next to the other wood textures... I think.

so is this wood good?

68 (edited by tonesfrommars 2007-05-02 18:23:34)

jammnrose wrote:

so is this wood good?

I'm being lazy here, forgive me..
Could you plaster this onto a big lump so we can see how it tiles?
Then we'll know if it's a keeper.

EDIT:  OK, I tried plugging it in.
On large surfaces, it definitely doesn't flow well (looks like a repeating tile pattern)
I think it's mostly the "mottled" lightening pattern (sort of looks like a sponge faux finish paint thing, know-what-i-mean?
Perhaps if the tone was even throughout, btw, I'm looking at the "wood-lighter" one.

Could be subjective, check it out.

i will try to make a more even one...

70 (edited by Elviz 2009-12-27 19:39:57)

tonesfrommars wrote:

Man, Elviz.
Your levels are unbelievably difficult.

Not sure about the "unbelievably" part, but it's true that my set is aimed at people who have advanced Neverball skills and who are looking for new challenges. Having said that, I think that Tree is similar to Swarm in that both look very difficult at first, but once you have found the right technique they turn out to be quite playable.

I would enjoy seeing a replay or two, particularly of the flags level (hint, hint...!)

As proof that it's actually possible to finish that level, or to show you the concrete steps? wink  Given that these levels are fairly new, I'm a bit hesitant to make solutions available already...

71 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2007-05-02 22:33:46)

Very hard levels... but also very high visual beauty.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

Dave wrote:

I wonder if just plain grass(ala my texture pack) would fit a little better with the theme, instead of checked grass... but that's a minor detail.

turf-green-dark does look nice, and I have already used it in other levels. The problem in this case, however, is that the platform is largely empty. There's the tree and there's an arrow, but that's it. Using plain grass for the entire platform makes it look a bit... well, plain. I think that the visual appeal of the checked grass texture is a little higher here, but I might reconsider this at a later time.

BTW, the tree and the staircase were (of course) built with the very helpful curve tool.

73 (edited by Dave 2007-05-05 02:29:04)

Elviz wrote:

turf-green-dark does look nice, and I have already used it in other levels. The problem in this case, however, is that the platform is largely empty. There's the tree and there's an arrow, but that's it. Using plain grass for the entire platform makes it look a bit... well, plain. I think that the visual appeal of the checked grass texture is a little higher here, but I might reconsider this at a later time.

Yeah, you're right. It would look maybe a little too plain... Here's a fun idea, though. You could add an orange/pink/red(think adobe) edge around the platform, and then have a large chopped off cone underneath, inverted so it's like the bottom of a big pot: A potted plant! You could employ a trick with func_trains(the cone part) to keep the level of the fallout still where it is now. Just an idea.

Edit: in that case, I guess you'd do better with some kind of dirt texture, instead of grass...

BTW, the tree and the staircase were (of course) built with the very helpful curve tool.

Yee-haw!

Dave wrote:

Here's a fun idea, though. You could add an orange/pink/red(think adobe) edge around the platform, and then have a large chopped off cone underneath, inverted so it's like the bottom of a big pot: A potted plant!

Hmm... a bonsai, perhaps? smile  I'll add it to my list of things to consider.

75 (edited by Elviz 2012-04-12 19:37:59)

Level: Cargo

http://uppgarn.com/files/nevermania/cargo-shot-tn.png  http://uppgarn.com/files/nevermania/cargo-game-tn.png

This level lets the player enter the transportation business. Careful ball control and good timing are the keys to success here.