Re: Nevermania level set

themacmeister wrote:

If you perfect them in time - might just squeeze them into the 1.5.0.1 release eh...?

How many levels do you have so far, Elviz? I didn't think more than a handful...

A handful of Elviz levels is greater than a thousand of mine smile

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

themacmeister wrote:

YOU GO ELVIZ! Your levels remind me of the excitement of seeing MYM2 levels, and BUD's glass jump level for the first time!

Glad you like the levels!

Dave wrote:
themacmeister wrote:

If you perfect them in time - might just squeeze them into the 1.5.0.1 release eh...?

How many levels do you have so far, Elviz? I didn't think more than a handful...

There are four levels at the time of writing. Designing a level set for Neverball takes some time, and I'm not really concerned with release dates right now... in any case, updates on progress will be posted on this thread, so stay tuned!

Elviz, I tried your 3 last levels and I'm really impressed by the graphical quality of them.
I said "wow" the first times I played each of them.
As you have a very good sense of graphical design, I would be very glad if you could give me some pieces of advice for my levels included in 1.5 (in the 5 sets), so I could improve their aspect.

BTW, your levels are indeed hard to play.

* space time remember me the old game Rick Dangerous, where you were forced to play by tries/errors: you cannot anticipate the behavior of the switches
* in swarm, I was not able to determine a safe path, this level requires a good analysis before playing it, I think it's a good thing, provided there *is* a safe path smile
* ramps is very hard, as the  player as to take care about too much things simultaneously: momentum, camera rotation, lumps moving up, not falling, looking ahead...

Great work Elviz!

30 (edited by Elviz 2012-04-12 22:26:13)

mym wrote:

As you have a very good sense of graphical design, I would be very glad if you could give me some pieces of advice for my levels included in 1.5 (in the 5 sets), so I could improve their aspect.

I didn't think your levels needed any improvement, but I'll happily try to give you my ideas about whatever you might be interested in. smile

* space time remember me the old game Rick Dangerous, where you were forced to play by tries/errors: you cannot anticipate the behavior of the switches

When parasti mentioned the trial-and-error approach I thought "but that's how a ton of video games worked". I cannot remember having played Rick Dangerous back then, but I've certainly heard of it. As for the switches in Spacetime, it's actually really simple:

Spoiler

Each removes one obstacle on the way to the goal. (The player doesn't know this in advance, though.)

mym wrote:

* in swarm, I was not able to determine a safe path, this level requires a good analysis before playing it, I think it's a good thing, provided there *is* a safe path smile

A safe path? I completely forgot about that when making the level. So sorry! big_smile

* ramps is very hard, as the  player as to take care about too much things simultaneously: momentum, camera rotation, lumps moving up, not falling, looking ahead...

Yes, I think that's what makes it fun to play. It gives you a sense of achievement. And once you've succeeded in reaching the goal, you can work on optimizing the time or grabbing optional blue coins...

Great work Elviz!

Thanks, mym!
Respect

31 (edited by Elviz 2012-04-12 21:34:15)

Level: Museum

http://uppgarn.com/files/nevermania/museum-shot-tn.png  http://uppgarn.com/files/nevermania/museum-game-tn.png

As an integral part of culture, Neverball deserves its own museum. Now it has one. smile

This level is not as hard as the last one, but reaching the goal requires some thinking.

Nice carpet..!!!!

Dude, Elviz, this is out of control.
Hey, one thing...

the words on the display cards are not showing up for me...?
I wonder why.

Gret concept, not easym either.

That museum looks great! Aargh! I wish I had time to try all of your cool levels, Elviz... Are your museum word textures all on one big texture that you align to show the different words, or are they separate textures?

34 (edited by Elviz 2007-04-20 03:40:00)

Version 0.5a uploaded. I replaced one wall of the museum with a transparent curtain that lets the ball fall through. This was necessary to remove a number of shortcuts.

tonesfrommars wrote:

the words on the display cards are not showing up for me...?
I wonder why.

Only on those in the showcases or on all cards (pedestals, walls, floor)? Are the cards completely white or what do they look like...?

Dave wrote:

Are your museum word textures all on one big texture that you align to show the different words, or are they separate textures?

It's one big texture in order not to clutter up the material directory for one effect.

Excellent. I was going to suggest it in case you hadn't. I should've known better!

The museum level is great: original idea and very well realized.
I have however one problem: FPS
In normal levels I get around 120 FPS, but in museum I have 5-15 FPS, so the level is near unplayable.

37 (edited by Elviz 2007-04-20 06:21:36)

mym wrote:

In normal levels I get around 120 FPS, but in museum I have 5-15 FPS, so the level is near unplayable.

That's bad. sad

Do other players have the same problem? I think tones doesn't, otherwise he probably would have mentioned it... I get performance comparable to bombman (1.4.0 version) in this level. There's some glass and a bit of chrome in Museum, but no reflective surfaces. The lump count is well below the once recommended maximum of 500. Here's the entire mapc output:

museum.sol (286/5400/$108)
  mtrl  vert  edge  side  texc  geom  lump  path  node  body
    30  1722  3108   494  1165  2496   328     4    69     3
  coin  goal  view  jump  swch  bill  ball  char  indx
    22     1     1     0     2     0     1    43 11628

It's strange because Ramps is more resource-intensive on almost all fronts, and you didn't write about any performance problems with that one...

Elviz wrote:

It's strange because Ramps is more resource-intensive on almost all fronts, and you didn't write about any performance problems with that one...

I don't understand too.
My FPS for your levels are (at the starting position):
1: 143
2: 95
3: 142
4: 114
5: 15
5 without reflection : 27
5 with everything low/off : 29

Perhaps it's the number of different textures and their sizes? Each painting on the wall uses a different 256x256 pixel texture. How much memory does your graphics card have? Then again, it's 2007, and this shouldn't really be a problem... just trying to come up with some explanation...

egads, that is a low framerate... I don't think any levels so far (including new easy levels) have ever dipped below 55fps on my system (with all options on at 1024x768@32bpp.

Are invisible surfaces coloured invisible? By the look of the screenshots, there doesn't seem to be a lot of lumps? I am at a loss here... Are the textures the correct size??? (ie: 2^n - -> 128/256/512/1024 etc.)

If you have access to photoshop, try opening them in that, and re-checking the pixel distances. Sometimes other Open Source (and commercial) editors get it wrong by a pixel or two - causing Neverball some grief...

Hope this is the cause, and you can lift the framerate some...

Currently Playing:

Hmmm..
That's funny, No problems here with FPS on this level.

BTW (dumb question) how do you tell what the current frame rate is while playing..?

'As far as the "sign-exhibits" texture, All the cards are white (blank).
But the png shows up just fine in my browser.

? 

If it's working for everyone else, i'd say don't sweat it, we'll sort it out when your maps get compiled for 1.5

Elviz wrote:

Perhaps it's the number of different textures and their sizes? Each painting on the wall uses a different 256x256 pixel texture. How much memory does your graphics card have?

128 Mo (ATI Radeon X700, ATI drivers 2.0.6334 (8.34.8)).

themacmeister wrote:

Are invisible surfaces coloured invisible?

Yes. There may be one or two I missed, but I'd like to believe I'm quite thorough about this.

Are the textures the correct size??? (ie: 2^n - -> 128/256/512/1024 etc.)

No! The display card texture had a height of 384 pixels. I forgot about the "power of two" rule when I made that one. Thanks, macmeister! I have corrected the height, it's now 512 pixels.

mym and tones, could you kindly check whether your respective problems still exist with v0.5b?

Cards work now, good find.

Elviz wrote:

mym and tones, could you kindly check whether your respective problems still exist with v0.5b?

They have gone away ! 105 FPS now (with reflection)

woot - themacmeister ***FINALLY*** solves a problem on the forum

It had to happen sometime I guess big_smile

Currently Playing:

Sweet - yeah I remember that there was an issue with someone's custom texture being 1 pixel too small, and it caused all sorts of problems... I'm guessing that tones's driver just refused to deal with it, which is why he didn't suffer low FPS.

way to go, macmeister!

themacmeister wrote:

woot - themacmeister ***FINALLY*** solves a problem on the forum

kao_vhappy  goccia18  kao118

thanks tones...

What happened to the shadow of the middle smiley tho??? it's BLACK!!!

Currently Playing:

[poor taste]

What, are you a racist, or something?

[/poor taste]

Sorry, I've some black friends who *always* make comments like that when anyone mentions the color black in a negative way.