Re: Nevermania level set

I'd guess it had something to do with the OS sensitivity as well. Some mouse drivers will be set to a high speed or low speed, and then neverball's setting is on top of that.

After all that time,  I finally completed Discs! big_smile
What an achievement! ^^

Aaaah you beat me to it! yikes

Congrats!

229 (edited by Elviz 2012-04-12 19:47:35)

Level: Rings

http://uppgarn.com/files/nevermania/rings-shot-tn.png  http://uppgarn.com/files/nevermania/rings-game-tn.png

The year shouldn't end without a new Nevermania level, so here's one. Three loops with glass walls stand between you and the goal. Risk of falling out is close to zero, but you'll need the right technique. This map has kind of a long history; I had started working on it in April 2007, then picked it up again this summer and finally completed it in the past few weeks.

Note: It's not yet clear where in the set Rings fits in. Moreover, making any changes to the number or order of levels now would screw up all existing high-scores. For these reasons, I've created a separate development set that can be downloaded from the original post. It is expected that this will be merged with the main set at some later date.

Nice one Elviz:

Top notch, as usual. Happy new year!

That looks gorgeous.

Stunning - absolutely beautiful!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Beautiful design, as always! I love the attention to details - it's truly inspiring!

Thanks, guys!

All those smooth curves –and some of the decorations– do come with a price tag in terms of map complexity. However, I don't worry much about that these days; if it runs on my 3.5-year-old hardware it should be okay.

BTW, as a special bonus feature the level is playable, too! wink

The level is as all of your levels beautiful.
And as you say it is playable even for me smile

Nice concept and maybe at some point I will get enough coins to open the goal.
I would say it is one of the easier level of your set. If it was my call I would place it before or after oddities, but I have not played through your complete set. Space and Time is waiting for me.

And I should definitely play more neverball smile

Wow wow wow Elviz! yikes
I thought I'd never see the day that a new Nevermania level would come into existence! yikes
It looks stunning, as with all the other levels in Nevermania! big_smile
Keep up the good work Elviz, I am looking forward to a full Nevermania set!!! ^^

237 (edited by Elviz 2011-07-13 08:44:09)

Started some long-planned work aimed at improving the existing levels.

ufo.map, v3-5

• Cleaner structure: first half coin collecting without obstacles, second half obstacle course without coins

• New coin configuration; it's now possible to grab all coins in a single run

• Replaced the asteroid barrier with a thwomp barrier (same challenge)

• Adjusted laser switch height and added a workaround for problems with decal transparency

• New choreography for the fighter sequence, rounder shots

• Leaving aside acceleration/deceleration, the UFO now has the same speed everywhere; the rapid upward movements are gone, giving the player more time to prepare before each obstacle

• As Static Juice has pointed out, staying on the starting platform and observing what happens is a good strategy if you're new to the level; for this reason, the platform can now officially be used as a lookout (simply lean against the rails)

• Rearranged decoration asteroids and warning signs

• Different level shot angle

rails.map, v2

• Replaced sixth segment with a reprise of the moving rails; the original segment (rails wobbling sideways) had turned out to not be the intended challenge

• Adjusted timing of goal pusher to be in sync with the moving rails

• Lowered floor: a) to prevent the ball from standing between a post and a pair of moving rails, possibly getting squashed; b) to allow the player to roam the flowerbeds freely; c) for an increased sense of height

• Optimized lump structure, fewer structural lumps

@Elviz: Hey just wondering, is your rings level going to be added to trunk anytime soon? I understand that fitting it in somewhere will screw up all the highscores, but I'm sure it wouldn't take too much work to fix them again. tongue

Static Juice wrote:

@Elviz: Hey just wondering, is your rings level going to be added to trunk anytime soon? I understand that fitting it in somewhere will screw up all the highscores, but I'm sure it wouldn't take too much work to fix them again. tongue

It would indeed be nice to have Rings on board for the next Neverball release. However, the current system isn't really capable of dealing with evolving level sets. All current high-scores would be invalidated, including information on which levels players have completed. This might be an acceptable price to pay in the case of a complete set overhaul, but not so much for the addition of a single level. (And asking users to fiddle around with the score files is unrealistic, while adding special conversion code to the application seems inappropriate.)

One possibility I see for improving things is to include the map paths in the score files and associate status and score data with those instead of the level order. Map paths can change, too, but that happens less often.

Sounds good.  Least we could do is mimic the "map" replay command, which holds the path as well as the version of the map.

Elviz, Rings looks amazing!

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Cheeseness wrote:

Elviz, Rings looks amazing!

Glad it appeals to you –and welcome back! I must make a level for the volcano background sometime...

Two words: Fire Thwomps.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Here are my thoughts:

LEVEL 1: This level is sort of fun, and a good starting level too!

LEVEL 2: This level is VERY HARD!! I had to get good on one path and and mostly go on that path. (I'm just glad I won this level.)

LEVEL 3: This is my 1st favorite level & it's not too hard for me & I won it too!

LEVEL 4: Not too hard. smile

LEVEL 5: It took me TWO YEARS to win this level!!! D:

LEVEL 6: This level is REALLY HARD!!!

I'll show more of my thoughts when I when I win more levels.

And one more thing: how do you win the rings level?

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988
avatar drawn with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled down with GIMP
にほんご べんきょう する。 (i am studying japanese)

It the it wrote:

And one more thing: how do you win the rings level?

Well, that's for you to find out! smile  (Any particular part you're stuck on?)

parasti wrote:
Elviz wrote:

One possibility I see for improving things is to include the map paths in the score files and associate status and score data with those instead of the level order. Map paths can change, too, but that happens less often.

Sounds good.  Least we could do is mimic the "map" replay command, which holds the path as well as the version of the map.

Trouble is, even this wouldn't solve the entire problem. Level numbers have a habit of popping up everywhere. They appear in the Nevertable database and also form part of all its replay filenames. Similarly, users at home will have replays named using the current numbering. Plus, levels are more often referenced by their number than by their name here in the forum. All of which means that, even if the high-scores were immune, inserting a new level into the existing order would still create a mess.

While this may be unavoidable when it comes to finalizing a level set, it would be bad to deal with this every time a new level is created. Which got me thinking, what if for the time being, new maps were simply appended at the end of the set? This would break the difficulty curve but leave everything else intact. Perhaps it's the lesser evil. The high-score file format needn't be changed, all Neverball would have to do is use default level states and scores if there are more entries in the set description than in the high-score file. (Nuncabola already does that, actually.)

248 (edited by parasti 2011-02-24 18:31:22)

I fixed that little annoyance in SVN, too. Mostly as an exercise, because as far as your original idea, I already have the basics down, I just haven't got around to finishing it. (Just as a clarification to other readers, your comment didn't suggest to me that the idea isn't worth implementing, just that mappers might still be inclined not to reorder maps due to reasons other than Neverball limitations.)

Yes! big_smile I won the rings level! And actually, the parts after the first part are too easy! D:
But, at least it was fun.(Anyway, the part I was stuck on was the first part.)

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988
avatar drawn with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled down with GIMP
にほんご べんきょう する。 (i am studying japanese)

250 (edited by Elviz 2011-02-25 14:49:05)

parasti wrote:

I fixed that little annoyance in SVN, too. Mostly as an exercise, because as far as your original idea, I already have the basics down, I just haven't got around to finishing it.

Yeah, no doubt that's the right approach. Still, it's good to have r3509 as a short-term fix since it enables me to put Rings at 17 right now without any score information being discarded. (And simply adding that level may be better than parking it elsewhere until the mythical day of set completion arrives.)

Does your plan include invalidating individual level scores if the major map version changes?