Topic: INSANE BUG!!! -=> No more "oldones" replay files...

That's horrible. I was cleaning up the database whan I find a outdated record, a "very old" one with no attached replay file at all => empty field. That was the only one with no replay file at all, it's not a normal case. I deleted it in admin panel. Because of a insane bug in my php code, it deletes all directory "oldones". We've  lost all replay files of all "oldones" records....

OF COURSE, I don't have any good backup of this directory. Thank you shino.

I'm sooo sorry sad sad sad sad sad

Re: INSANE BUG!!! -=> No more "oldones" replay files...

Indeed that's terrible sad
Most of them were just replays a little bit worse than the current record.
However many were old and original ways of reaching the goal.
Moreover, this is a lost of many fights between 2 or more opponents for a particular record type of a particular level.

But this is not the end of the world shino, there will be a lot of new replays in the table, particularly when 1.5 will be out kao120

What do you mean you don't have a back-up?!  yikes

Seriously, though, let's just make sure nothing like that ever happens again.

shino wrote:

That's horrible. I was cleaning up the database whan I find a outdated record, a "very old" one with no attached replay file at all => empty field. That was the only one with no replay file at all, it's not a normal case. I deleted it in admin panel. Because of a insane bug in my php code, it deletes all directory "oldones". We've  lost all replay files of all "oldones" records....

OF COURSE, I don't have any good backup of this directory. Thank you shino.

I'm sooo sorry sad sad sad sad sad

Ouch! That would have caused an internal shcokwave against me (except I am unaffected by this, as I only have freestyle; I am not good enough elsewhere, so it doesn't matter ;] ). Still, try to fix this code so that it doesn't happen again.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

Youch! That's painful. You're right, mym - It was very fun (and instructive) to watch the various replays leading up to the current record - the changing techniques and strategies...

Are you sure you're not just pulling our leg (joking) ?

My readings says that every replay that has been already beaten (the oldones) has been deleted!

Challenge Space Yard wrote:

My readings says that every replay that has been already beaten (the oldones) has been deleted!

Exactly !
However I realize this only concerns the replay files, not the entries in the database.
So the names/times/coins are still here.

I'm with Parasti... you should look at implementing some sort of backup system so mitigate the risks of this sort of thing happening agian.

Maybe some of the players have kept copies of their replays?

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Of course the records are still there ! No problem about satabse, I kept backups and dump it very often.

Those replay files haven't been saved for ages. That's a big mistake. I've got no local backup, I've got no backup with my host because between 100MB and 600MB of webspace I chose 600MB with no backup, that was the counterpart. I should have done some backups of those files recently, but I've done backup of contest replay files only.

One again I'm very sorry, I was really angry when I realized I suck that much this morning. It won't never happen again.

Hopefully, when neverball 1.5 will be released, it won't hurt so much as a lot of records won't be available anymore tongue

shino wrote:

... It won't never happen again...

Do you mean ever?

Yeah, I think he means NEVER.  big_smile

We're all over the world here.. how's your french challenge?

Shino does the community a big service by maintaining the forum and the contest.
As far as backups goes, we live and we learn, right?

I think after 1.5 gets done, there will be so much action on the nevertable, we'll forget all about these old records (well maybe not completely) but at least we'll have fun making new ones..

Another thing.. I know I have a folder full of replays I've downloaded from the nevertable which could replace a few of the missing ones.
And I'd bet that between all of us, we've got copies of a good number of them.'
Can they still be matched by name and time? Are the comments and stats still in place, so it's the replay files themselves that are missing..?

Shino, if we all sent you what we have locally.. would you be willing to sort through them?

Crap, I had three screens full of replays.  I deleted all of them literally a couple of days ago.

Well, at least now I stand a better chance of getting on the table big_smile

Has anyone considered a record-only hi-score table, automatic via HTTP from NB (/NP)?

It could be done similar to Xmoto or Frets on Fire.

Just a thought!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

mym wrote:

However I realize this only concerns the replay files, not the entries in the database.

That's the most important thing. This way the actual history is preserved. You're right, though, that there were quite a few original replays in the "oldones" folder that were well worth watching even in addition to the current record. Some contained optimized runs using strategies that were eventually beaten by a faster strategy, but which were interesting in their own right. It's bad to lose them.  sad

Cheeseness wrote:

Personally, I have all of my old replays available (54 files). Not sure whether it's worth the effort to restore them all, though, since in most cases I have a better replay in the contest folder right now. One thing I would like to see back on the table again is my H12 most-coins replay, either as a restored "old one" or converted to a freestyle. That, and perhaps my last replays for cE02 and H07.

shino wrote:

Hopefully, when neverball 1.5 will be released, it won't hurt so much as a lot of records won't be available anymore tongue

As far as I know, only eight of the current 75 levels have been modified in a way that will affect records made for them. Other than that, the current Nevertable replays only need to be renamed (e.g. cM03xxx -> cMB2xxx.nbr) and converted to the new file format, right?

themacmeister wrote:

Actually, without old replays to look at in search for ideas and hints, it may even get a little harder...

BTW, shino, I think you need to come up with a way to remove or disable the "replay" link for those records where the replay file is not available anymore. Otherwise, lots of people will get confused by 404 Not Found errors...

Elviz wrote:
mym wrote:

That's the most important thing. This way the actual history is preserved. You're right, though, that there were quite a few original replays in the "oldones" folder that were well worth watching even in addition to the current record. Some contained optimized runs using strategies that were eventually beaten by a faster strategy, but which were interesting in their own right. It's bad to lose them.  sad

Agreed.

Elviz wrote:
Cheeseness wrote:

Personally, I have all of my old replays available (54 files). Not sure whether it's worth the effort to restore them all, though, since in most cases I have a better replay in the contest folder right now. One thing I would like to see back on the table again is my H12 most-coins replay, either as a restored "old one" or converted to a freestyle. That, and perhaps my last replays for cE02 and H07.

Sometimes even old replays can be useful ;] .

Elviz wrote:
shino wrote:

As far as I know, only eight of the current 75 levels have been modified in a way that will affect records made for them. Other than that, the current Nevertable replays only need to be renamed (e.g. cM03xxx -> cMB2xxx.nbr) and converted to the new file format, right?

That is assuming Mym doesn't modify any more levels. Note that two of these eight levels only affects coins.

Elviz wrote:
themacmeister wrote:

Actually, without old replays to look at in search for ideas and hints, it may even get a little harder...

Agreed.

Elviz wrote:

BTW, shino, I think you need to come up with a way to remove or disable the "replay" link for those records where the replay file is not available anymore. Otherwise, lots of people will get confused by 404 Not Found errors...

Agreed.

I probably have most of my old records... And I've got a few from others that I'd downloaded but hadn't deleted yet... I'd be happy to send all I have to you shino, but I can only imagine that you really don't have time to sort through literally hundreds of replays trying to fill in various gaps in the "oldfiles" category. I know I wouldn't...

shino wrote:

... I was really angry when I realized I suck that much this morning...

shino, none us of think you suck - we are all grateful for your years of service in maintaining the table and the forum. Without you (and mym!) there wouldn't even be a table, so rest assured - we all still like you smile

tonesfrommars wrote:

Yeah, I think he means NEVER.

But of course... this is the Neverforum, after all. wink

If you send all your old records files, we'll have to process them automatically as it would be very difficult to manually attach them to existing entries (with the current right dates and attached comments).
So if Shino want to do a script that compares times/coins in the files with the entries, maybe it's possible.

However there will be some ambiguities as some records have same time/coins for different players.
Thus the script would require a name detection... not easy to do such a script.

Shino, I've just validated an Elviz record (H16), and there is a problem with moving the old record to the oldones directory :

Error Moving file ../ to ../replays/contest/.._0. But record is moved.

So I tried to get the old record file (from Dave), but without sucess kao_sad

Yes, my old file is gone now too! Is your script continuing to delete anything that goes in the oldones folder? I was going to download it to compare with how Elviz's record went... I'm sure it's in a folder somewhere on my HDD...

Dave wrote:

Yes, my old file is gone now too! Is your script continuing to delete anything that goes in the oldones folder? I was going to download it to compare with how Elviz's record went...

At the time of writing, it is still in the contest folder (link).

Apparently the exact opposite has happened:  the database record got removed but the file remained.

Strange indeed! Thanks for the link, Elviz.

parasti wrote:

Apparently the exact opposite has happened:  the database record got removed but the file remained.

The database record for Dave's old cH16 replay is still there (link).

Heh.  How about "record got modified" then?  smile

Dave wrote:

Is your script continuing to delete anything that goes in the oldones folder?

I stop managing records until the script is fixed.