Topic: level design standards for neverball

hi all,

I have noted that everyone seems to have their own style when creating neverball levels. Admittedly some of these do not matter when it comes to gameplay, but I believe that for a unified look and experience, there are some items that must remain the same in each set.

These are not limited to, but include:

Height of coins from floor.
Height of .obj from floor.
Level visibility during play.
Visibility/marking of hazards/edges

I realise that tuxmym's V.2 is only in beta, and that a new 'prettier' V.1 is coming soon. I would just like to create some guidelines to avoid possible confusion/irritation when playing new sets.

As an example: N19 or mym2 level 19 - has coins that are much higher than in other levels. I assumed that the height from the floor of center of coins should be the same height as the centre of the ball. This is not the case in this level, and although it does not effect gameplay substantially, it can give players a false perspective, leading to incorrect manouvers.

Would it be possible to set down a short list of 'guidelines' to assist in more uniformity in level design?

Any thoughts?

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Re: level design standards for neverball

I agree we need some conventions.
For the case of N19, the coins had to be above the lowest bars of the pusher, thus I didn't had the choice.

themacmeister wrote:

Would it be possible to set down a short list of 'guidelines' to assist in more uniformity in level design?

I think we could suggest things here, and rlk could complete his mapping documentation with our suggestions.

Tuxmym wrote:

For the case of N19, the coins had to be above the lowest bars of the pusher, thus I didn't had the choice.

The pusher bar looks like 2 units, and the coins look more than 2 units higher than ball centre. Is it possible for the coins to pass *through* the pusher bar, or does this look stupid?!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

themacmeister wrote:

Is it possible for the coins to pass *through* the pusher bar, or does this look stupid?!

Passing through isn't coherent. They must pass above or below. I could put the pusher higher and place the coins below it, it works.