1 (edited by mym 2007-03-05 21:00:51)

Topic: the Neverputt's TODO proposition

Todo list is now located on the Neverwiki !

Discussions can be posted here.

2 (edited by canuck 2005-05-14 13:44:33)

Re: the Neverputt's TODO proposition

Add Network Play.

canuck wrote:

Add Network Play.

I agree. However I think it will not be as fun as playing with friends on the same computer.

Todo list is now available on the Neverwiki !

canuck wrote:

Add Network Play.

This might come off as harsh...

This is out of the question, as it would require a rewrite from the ground up.  You don't simply tack network play onto something at the last minute.  It is a core issue, and one which must guide the entire design.  It would be easier to launch a new net-play golf game project than to hack networking into Neverputt.

People need to realize something: Neverputt is done.  It was done 7 days after I said "I think I'll write a golf game in 7 days."  All I've done since then is fix bugs and add levels.  If you want to add features, fork it.

6 (edited by Tacvek 2005-06-04 18:43:24)

rlk wrote:
canuck wrote:

Add Network Play.

This might come off as harsh...

This is out of the question, as it would require a rewrite from the ground up.  You don't simply tack network play onto something at the last minute.  It is a core issue, and one which must guide the entire design.  It would be easier to launch a new net-play golf game project than to hack networking into Neverputt.

People need to realize something: Neverputt is done.  It was done 7 days after I said "I think I'll write a golf game in 7 days."  All I've done since then is fix bugs and add levels.  If you want to add features, fork it.

Fair enough, although it would be hard to maintain a fork, due to the shared code with neverall that would ideally remain in sync. for example, should you find Yet annother physics bug, (hopefully you will not of course), it would be best fixed in both games, but that is a rela pain with forked games, especially when you are not using arch as the version control system. Then again the pain to the new maintainer is not really your worry.

As for network play, your sentement is correct, but your words are not quite. It is possible to add network support post design, I've seen it done. But it is usually pretty poor when done after the fact due to the lack of proper internal structure for the feature.

for network play, 4 balls, match types (coins, time, etc.), and best one wins

Mym, you should update link on top post.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

Thx CSY, it's done wink

I have 2 concerns:

Allow more than 4 players

Any ideas what the new max will be because Ill need to adjust my levels to comply with this. I use 5 info_player_starts now but if the new max is 8, Ill use 9 IPS. or 16 > 17 IPS  etc..

Possibility to turn off the 12 shots limit (is it a rule in golf?)

This has ups and downs. I think its a good idea because it allows for longer more complex holes. Yet it also opens up the possibility of getting stuck on a hole to the point where the only way of getting unstuck is to quit and restart the game.

I think of neverball as having a 3 stroke limit right.  so you cant progress if you dont get to the goal in 3 attempts, but if you lose you can simply re-select that same level and start right from there. Putt dosent work like this there is no hole select. So,,, if you cant get to the cup on hole 8, and you also cant progress by smacking the ball out and hitting the stroke limit, you are stuck! You have to quit your game and start again from HOLE 1.   Thats like falling out 3 times on mym 23, and having to start back from mym1 again. That would succccckkkkkkkk!!!!!

The way I see it, if the stroke limit in putt is rememoved, you must also implement a keystroke or button the player can press to force a limit or basically advance to next hole. If not the game would become very frusrating very fast and few will wanna play it.

This would also make putt course development easer so Im all for it!   big_smile

vidski wrote:

I have 2 concerns:

Allow more than 4 players

Any ideas what the new max will be because Ill need to adjust my levels to comply with this. I use 5 info_player_starts now but if the new max is 8, Ill use 9 IPS. or 16 > 17 IPS  etc..

I don't think it's necessary to increase the number of info_player_starts for old levels; we could add code to Putt so it would use the same start for more than one player, I think. (so that 5th player starts from the same place as 1st, 6th with the 2nd, etc)

vidski wrote:

Possibility to turn off the 12 shots limit (is it a rule in golf?)

This would also make putt course development easer so Im all for it!   big_smile

You can already jump to the level you want by pressing two numbers and enter in the score card, IIRC.

I don't think it's necessary to increase the number of info_player_starts for old levels; we could add code to Putt so it would use the same start for more than one player, I think. (so that 5th player starts from the same place as 1st, 6th with the 2nd, etc)

that would be cool, problem solved.

You can already jump to the level you want by pressing two numbers and enter in the score card, IIRC.

Ok im a bit confused. Do you mean start the game, play hole1 so you can see the scorecard screen, and then press '07' + Enter to goto hole 7?  Because if so I tried that and it's no good. Unless im doing it wrong  sad

vidski wrote:

Ok im a bit confused. Do you mean start the game, play hole1 so you can see the scorecard screen, and then press '07' + Enter to goto hole 7?  Because if so I tried that and it's no good. Unless im doing it wrong  sad

Oops, my bad. Press the level numbers and enter in the screen where it waits for you to start the level. (with the hole number, and so on)

paxed wrote:
vidski wrote:

Oops, my bad. Press the level numbers and enter in the screen where it waits for you to start the level. (with the hole number, and so on)

Make sure it is not the num-pad.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

paxed wrote:

Haha, funny how I had never heard about this feature before.  smile

16 (edited by vidski 2007-03-06 22:13:13)

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU       PAXED................   whats sad is I have wasted so much development time. awwww man this is what i neeeeeded!!!!

edit:  damn this rocks, you can even go backwards. like from hole 13 to hole 4!

parasti wrote:
paxed wrote:

Haha, funny how I had never heard about this feature before.  smile

I also had no idea of this feature. It should get a mention on the level editing pages of the wiki for Neverputt editing... Hang on, do any such pages exist?

Heh. I can't believe no-one knew about the feature. If I recall correctly, rlk told me this when I was developing my first putt levels.

Hang on, do any such pages exist?

not that I remember looking at. The level editing tutorials I read on wiki were more of a general never-editing style. Didnt seem to favor ball or putt, but if you ask me it is more helpful on the neverball side. (which makes sense since NB is really the 'main' game)

I know Im new to the forums... but Ive been skimming through for about a month now and I didn't have a slue eiter regarding the level jump feature big_smile

Perhaps that should be made clearer in the games description. There have been many holes that I LOVE, but don't want to sit through the rest of the set simply to get to that one!

THANK YOU!

Just something simple, adding names to multiplayer.

When playing Neverputt singleplayer, after each hit it says "Player one", resets camera angle and than again shifts camera angle to a new one, probably according to the mouse position. This was so annoying that I had to stop playing it and it could be solved with a few lines of code.

This was fixed a long, long time ago.

I have a few suggestions here, and I can actually implement them if desired.

1. On some levels that have high/low parts to them, they can't be seen from
the ball's position (you can't look up/down).  It would be cool if we
allowed the user to hold down the right mouse button and then just rotate
the camera around (without changing your aim) to look around the level.
Releasing the mouse button changes view back to normal aiming.

2.  When I play golf, we often to a double-par limit.  I think a par-based limit
per hole would be appropriate. (like triple par?).  Static numbers like 12 or so
aren't consistent enough per hole.

3.  allow a player to skip a hole, (taking the max score), without abandoning
the whole round (I need this for tricky golf).  This could be added to an escape
menu during a whole.

Who decides whether or not to add this to the official to-do list?
Would I be allowed to contribute here?

protonspring wrote:

I have a few suggestions here, and I can actually implement them if desired.

1. On some levels that have high/low parts to them, they can't be seen from
the ball's position (you can't look up/down).  It would be cool if we
allowed the user to hold down the right mouse button and then just rotate
the camera around (without changing your aim) to look around the level.
Releasing the mouse button changes view back to normal aiming.

2.  When I play golf, we often to a double-par limit.  I think a par-based limit
per hole would be appropriate. (like triple par?).  Static numbers like 12 or so
aren't consistent enough per hole.

3.  allow a player to skip a hole, (taking the max score), without abandoning
the whole round (I need this for tricky golf).  This could be added to an escape
menu during a whole.

Who decides whether or not to add this to the official to-do list?
Would I be allowed to contribute here?

My Reaction: Protonsping!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I Think he is BANNED!