1 (edited by mym 2006-08-09 11:25:04)

Topic: the Neverball's TODO proposition

The TODO is now decomposed in tickets, in the Nevertrack.

Discussions can be posted here.

Re: the Neverball's TODO proposition

very nice... could add:

- more custom ball textures
- different collision sounds
- rolling noise
- textureless ball for super-challenge mode (glass?)
- lump/brush rotation entity (low priority)
- radiant level editor plug-in specifically for neverball (low priority)

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Thx for your suggestions.
I'll try to set priority classes for the suggestions, please react if you don't agree.

The 5-set limit on the set selection screen is a high priority item.

You can also add i18n to the medium priority list.

I also want to do work on some kind of pk3 system that would allow add-on levels to be more easily packed and downloaded.  I haven't thought much about it yet, I just know the problem is not sufficiently complex to incur another dependancy.  I might do something with zlib.

... and we already have challenge mode.  It keeps the fastest time and best coin count for each full 25-level run.

rlk wrote:

The 5-set limit on the set selection screen is a high priority item.

Ok, I had forgotten this one...

>You can also add i18n to the medium priority list.

Ok.

>I also want to do work on some kind of pk3 system that would allow add-on levels to be more easily packed and downloaded.
>I haven't thought much about it yet, I just know the problem is not sufficiently complex to incur another dependancy.
>I might do something with zlib.

Nice, good idea.
As you'll use zlib, you could allow compressed replays.

>... and we already have challenge mode.  It keeps the fastest time and best coin count for each full 25-level run.

But it works for partial plays too. I would prefer the challenge mode working only from the first level of the set.

Hey very good idea to centralize everything here wink Maybe I could add a section for this type of topics, such as "Development" or somthing like that ? Tell me if you think it can help.

Every features I coud think (and more) are already listed here. Challenge mode would be great : is it about to finish full set while grabing coins each time, I mean goals won't be auto-activated if already unlocked ? But how will you unlock new levels then ? Will there be the current mode + the training mode + the challenge mode ?

And compressed replays will be a good thing for nevertable too wink

shinobufan wrote:

Hey very good idea to centralize everything here wink Maybe I could add a section for this type of topics, such as "Development" or somthing like that ? Tell me if you think it can help.

Thx wink For the moment, I think there is no special need.

shinobufan wrote:

Challenge mode would be great: is it about to finish full set while grabing coins each time, I mean goals won't be auto-activated if already unlocked ? But how will you unlock new levels then ?

Good question. I haven't thought about that before.
I think both challenge and training modes could unlock levels and I would prefer to unlock goals each time I play the challenge mode. In any way the player needs to catch coins to gain extra lives to finish the set.

shinobufan wrote:

Will there be the current mode + the training mode + the challenge mode ?

I would prefer only training + challenge. Rlk too, if I've well understood.

shinobufan wrote:

And compressed replays will be a good thing for nevertable too wink

Of course, there are more and more replays in the table big_smile

I would prefer a challenge mode without gaols unlocked... I think it's more fun to finish level by grabbing enough coins else it's too easy sometimes... (sometimes only! not always wink )...

Actually training mode will be as the current mode but with infinite life... Personnaly a challenge mode as described over + the training mode would be ok...

What do you think, other neverball player ? Tell us about that wink

At the moment, it is infuriating when you get stuck on a single level for days and cannot unlock later levels. I would very much like to see the training mode with all levels available (with the exception of secret levels). This way you could at least preview the nightmare to come smile

Also, if gtkradiant is under an appropriate open source licence, there may be a chance to create an nbradiant, with all textures etc. installed, and all preferences set for neverball level creation. Is that possible?

themacmeister

Currently Playing:

10 (edited by BuD 2005-05-04 05:37:00)

I have another feature suggestion:
WorldSpawn entity save into some keys all info of the level: the kind of sky, required coins...
Then, you can test the map executing the command:
neverball somelevel.sol

BuD wrote:

I have another feature suggestion:
WorldSpawn entity save into some keys all info of the level: the kind of sky, required coins...
Then, you can test the map executing the command:
neverball somelevel.sol

Good idea, I'll add it into the TODO proposition.

PS: already 100 posts ! big_smile

OK,

for my 75th post, I would like to recommend a *simple* level editor. I am unaware how complex the plugin system for radiant is (cannot be too easy judging by the lack of plug-ins), but a collection of prefab lumps already textured that could be inserted and moved/rotated into place. Similar to Trackmania/THPS editor capabilities (amongst others).

Even if this is not possible, I would sincerely like to see packs of high quality - texture applied prefabs of easy and more difficult objects. Loops, mitred lumps and different ramp sections come to mind. Maybe also a good collection of curve sections, as this is probably the hardest item for beginners (me!).

Cheers.

themacmeister

Currently Playing:

themacmeister wrote:

Also, if gtkradiant is under an appropriate open source licence, there may be a chance to create an nbradiant, with all textures etc. installed, and all preferences set for neverball level creation. Is that possible?

I've just downloaded the gtkradiant sources to read the licence. On part of it is :

Id Software hereby grants to Licensee and Licensee hereby accepts, a limited and non-exclusive right during the Term, as defined below, to: (i) use the Authorized Copy for your creation of your own modifications which shall operate only with the full version of QUAKE III ARENA or QUAKE III: EAM ARENA  (the "Games"), but not any demo, test or other version of the Games

The "shall operate only" seems to prevent any modification that shall works only for Neverball, isn't it ?

themacmeister wrote:

for my 75th post, I would like to recommend a *simple* level editor.

But which one ?
We, Neverball level designers, have the luck of having a good, free level editor which can work for Neverball with some light constraints and which well evolves thanks to the proficient ID-Software's team.
Is there another good level editor which is free and works on Linux ?
Does some Linux player have the time and the competences to develop a new one of a sufficient quality ?
I think this should be a time loss.
I agree we need to learn and respect some rules but I prefer this than creating my own level editor.

themacmeister wrote:

At the moment, it is infuriating when you get stuck on a single level for days and cannot unlock later levels. I would very much like to see the training mode with all levels available (with the exception of secret levels). This way you could at least preview the nightmare to come smile

Interesting idea. But impart directly the whole set to the player removes the mistery play.
Maybe an intermediate solution could be better: levels could be accessible by groups of 5 and if you unlock the last (only the last could be sufficient ?), you can reach the 5 next.
Some followers ?

5 sounds like a good compromise. I agree...5 it is. 4 possible unlocks after original 1 -5 (done in any order?)

themacmeister

Currently Playing:

Id Software hereby grants to Licensee and Licensee hereby accepts, a limited and non-exclusive right during the Term, as defined below, to: (i) use the Authorized Copy for your creation of your own modifications which shall operate only with the full version of QUAKE III ARENA or QUAKE III: TEAM ARENA  (the "Games"), but not any demo, test or other version of the Games

*DOH!*

Maybe I should stick with my second request for building-block style prefabs, for use with radiant. I still have no idea how Mehdi was able to make those loops smile

Maybe have a section on this forum for downloading prefabs. They are small and compressible?

themacmeister

Currently Playing:

themacmeister wrote:

I still have no idea how Mehdi was able to make those loops smile
Maybe have a section on this forum for downloading prefabs. They are small and compressible?

I used the curve program (provided by rlk) and then the radiant clipper tool.
If I find some time, I could make a short HowTo for creating such prefabs.

What you could do is ask rlk to make his http://icculus.org/neverball/mapping/ into a wiki or equivalent so other people can improve it. Sometimes I read it and understand absolutely nothing of it, specially the Details part, it's all very techincal if you are not a quake level creator expert, which I don't want to be. neutral

More improvements:

- More level musics to choose from. I'd like to know as curiosity how/who was the artist that built them and with what software, if that information is known smile They are great, but after hours and hours, it comes a bit boring now...

- More background maps; I'm sure there will not be a shortage of ideas on this area...

I wonder if it would be possible to use free music to add in Neverball. You know free music under Creative Commons or equivalent license ? Does somebody know here if such free music could be used in Neverball without problems ? I'm sure some nice tracks a bit smililar as rlk ones (because rlk made neverball musics I think) could be find...

Feature Suggestion: double-clickable replay files - Launches neverball directly to the replay.

Currently Playing:

That's a good idea, but I don't think Neverball is able to launch a replay from command line.... ?

I mean in a newer version. ie: rlk would allow replays elsewhere than the currently searched paths.

themacmeister

Currently Playing:

Yes... It may be added in TODO list of neverball : run replay from command line. That's a good idea whatever. And to launch replay file from file/internet browsers would be awesome !