1 (edited by Zyqwux 2006-01-22 01:05:15)

Topic: Mehdi 17 HELP!!!

How the hell are you supposed to suceed in M17? Got any tips? Or replays maybe?

Re: Mehdi 17 HELP!!!

Lots and lots and lots of practice.  It took me a LONG time to finish that level.

On the moving bridge use manual camera.  You have to time it just right to get off.  Also use manual through the half pipe area.  I usually only use manual camera on half pipes, moving platforms, and situations where angled acceleration is needed.  It takes awhile to get used to if you only use the normal camera, but you better get used to using manual if you want to do really cool stuff (download the freestyle training course level set-it's crazy!).

Thanks for the info! btw, is F2 or F3 standard?

F1 - normal
F2 - lazy
F3 - manual

i am on m17 right now it is a tricky level to say the least, i can get to the end i just need more coins . i am not one for manual camera view (f3) but i use it for about 90% of the level.

i am really new at playing the game but what i do with this game and other games that i have played which seem to help me get good fast or at least not smash my computer.

my only goal on each level is to get to the end, i never care about getting coins just getting to the end if i can get to the end i then start working on getting coins, when i run into a hard spot like the bridge i will study it for a bit try to figure out the best way to get on it and once on the best way to get off.

if you just go all out odds are you will get past it at least 5% of the time. if you study it and learn how to move on it you will get past it and just get to the bridge and practice crossing it after you do it about 10 times you will be able to cross it at least 70% of the time if not more.

i still fall out some times but after the bridge the rest of the level is cake.

good luck.

Ahhhh, the Assault Course. I made it many times without enough coins - actually, this would be about the 5th hardest level in the entire game, including contributed levels.

The trick is to get all the coins on the way to the half-pipe, then get all the coins IN the half-pipe. The trick to finishing is to go very very fast to the final jump and grab as many coins as possible in the air. Turn around 180 degrees after landing, and you will see some red coins on a glass platform - grab them, and you should have just unlocked the Goal!

Good Luck!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Hello everyone!

I'm not going to say how wonderful Neverball is, because you know it already, but... damn... this M17 level is a nightmare. I've read your comments and it looks like the biggest problem is the brigde. Well, for me this part is quite simple, I pass it in about 75-80% cases, but I'm stuck on... the halfpipe. Have you got any hints on this part? And what angle is the most optimal on the high jump?

Wizzz wrote:

Hello everyone!

I'm not going to say how wonderful Neverball is, because you know it already, but... damn... this M17 level is a nightmare. I've read your comments and it looks like the biggest problem is the brigde. Well, for me this part is quite simple, I pass it in about 75-80% cases, but I'm stuck on... the halfpipe. Have you got any hints on this part? And what angle is the most optimal on the high jump?

Hey, Wizzz, welcome to the forum. smile All I could suggest is written above: use the manual camera. In half pipes rotate it so the ball would only need to roll back and forth, kind of looking at the ball through the glass, and it's very simple after that.

parasti wrote:

In half pipes rotate it so the ball would only need to roll back and forth, kind of looking at the ball through the glass, and it's very simple after that.

Or, if that feels weird, then try keeping manual camera, but looking down the halfpipe, so you move left and right up the walls of the pipe... Either way works fine, but I'd definitely avoid chase or lazy camera in the half-pipes until you feel really comfortable with doing them.

I'm stuck here too. Gotta get more coins!

I use manual camera almost exclusively, though that makes it difficult, as I think mym uses the "chase" camera (F1) when he designs the levels, so you end up with things like the first level in the second Mehdi set (which I believe is impossible with manual camera).

I found that with the Assault Course level, I was thinking that the coins that you get by going up the jump were in a straight line, and every time I played, was pulling back on the mouse to keep the ball going straight up. That caused me to miss a blue (?) coin or two.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

There are I believe 4 red coins on the glass roof, after you miss the coins on the jump and turn around.

If you get some coins in the halfpipe, this can help unlock the goal - I usually have to make another jump as well to get one more coin! It is quite frustrating...

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

13 (edited by Dave 2006-09-27 00:42:14)

Cheeseness wrote:

... like the first level in the second Mehdi set (which I believe is impossible with manual camera).

Oh, nothing is impossible with manual camera. In fact, quite the opposite is true. There are many things possible with the manual cam that really *are* impossible with the other two.

One of my favorite things to do is to put a level on manual cam and then get through the level without rotating the camera once. I have succeeding in the majority of Mehdi's first set this way... And gotten all the way to the "thwomp forest" in Mehdi 25, but its really hard.

Anyway, for crazy manual camera challenge, check out my freestyle replay of Mehdi2 level 13 (I think it's 13 - the long tube/pipe level.) Backwards the entire way! Edit#2: Actually it's level 14 I'm talking about.

Edit: I just remembered that the Nevertable took off Mehdi2 records, so you'll have to download my replays from my website(which is slightly outdated, at least in regards to the curve stuff..) Anyway, manual camera is the best.

14 (edited by Cheeseness 2006-09-27 01:45:58)

Dave wrote:

Oh, nothing is impossible with manual camera. In fact, quite the opposite is true. There are many things possible with the manual cam that really *are* impossible with the other two.

One of my favorite things to do is to put a level on manual cam and then get through the level without rotating the camera once. I have succeeding in the majority of Mehdi's first set this way... And gotten all the way to the "thwomp forest" in Mehdi 25, but its really hard.

Anyway, for crazy manual camera challenge, check out my freestyle replay of Mehdi2 level 13 (I think it's 13 - the long tube/pipe level.) Backwards the entire way!

Edit: I just remembered that the Nevertable took off Mehdi2 records, so you'll have to download my replays from my website(which is slightly outdated, at least in regards to the curve stuff..) Anyway, manual camera is the best.

Yeah, I prefer manual camera. I sometimes play without rotating the camera at all too (it's good fun).

But I can't see how you can do the upwards spiral part with a manual camera (without adjusting camera rotation speed).

I've gotten about half of the way through the last level of mym's first set with manual camera, but the bit where you come screaming down the transparent ramp and then around what I'm going to call a 'roundabout' (because it looks a bit like a traffic control thing we have that I have no idea what the rest of the world calls) requires camera rotation to maintain speed, doesn't it?

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I've never adjusted camera rotation speed, though I don't think it would actually help that much. You just have to find a rhythm of click-hold-release-click-hold-release. It goes by quickly, but it works quite well. Similar to what you will see in the Hard 23 coins record.

camera rotation to maintain speed, yes. But you can rotate it quickly in manual camera mode by holding the shift key before clicking. I'm not saying that I *never* use the other modes. But I really do use manual 98-99% of the time.

16 (edited by Cheeseness 2006-09-28 22:20:43)

Dave wrote:

I've never adjusted camera rotation speed, though I don't think it would actually help that much. You just have to find a rhythm of click-hold-release-click-hold-release. It goes by quickly, but it works quite well. Similar to what you will see in the Hard 23 coins record.

camera rotation to maintain speed, yes. But you can rotate it quickly in manual camera mode by holding the shift key before clicking. I'm not saying that I *never* use the other modes. But I really do use manual 98-99% of the time.

I'm in the same camp as you.
I've just never had any success with the first level of Mehdi 2. I'm going to give it another go when I get home.

Edit: I'll stand corrected. Themacmeister and I had a bit of a go of it yesterday, and that particular level isn't as bad as I remember.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I consider you to be lucky if your having problems getting to the goal with enough coins. I can barely get to the goal as it is. That thromp is the biggest hurdle. I actually have had little trouble with the bridge and half pipe (though I haven't really tried getting the coins on it. The moving platforms at the end usually get me too, if I make it that far.