Topic: Aaaaaargh!!!

Well, I have just about had enough of gtkradiant...

When I re-open a map I have been working on, random lumps, edges or vertices have moved by 1 unit (1/64m).

This would be OK, if the problem were easily fixed, but moving edges and vertices effects the entire shape of the lump. Is there something I should know that might fix this? no autosave? using prebuilt sections?

This has happened to me on 1.4 and 1.5b of gtkradiant, under both Win32 & Linux. There is a good chance it is just a silly mistake I am making, not being very experienced with radiant, but I fear it may be a glitch on my AMD hardware?!

Any ideas anyone?

themacmeister

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Re: Aaaaaargh!!!

Never seen this problem, sorry.

I am not 100% sure if this happens under Linux, but it definitely happens with 1.4/1.5b under Win32...

let me check Linux...

themacmeister

Currently Playing:

It *appears* to be working at the moment, although I have not closed and reopened the file yet, and I am afraid to do so. I might quickly finish this level and back it up before reopening. It is a very basic level, so I hope nothing goes wrong again.

themacmeister

Currently Playing:

Take a look at the vertices that define your faces.  These vertice lie somewhere on the face, but not necessarily at an edge.  Edges are extracted by solving for the intersections of the planes defined by the vertices.  Perhaps an integer computation is being performed and numerical precision is being lost.  Try moving one or two of the face vertices onto the edge that keeps moving.

OK, I have reopened the map, and it is perfect. I may have been working with a 1 unit grid and nudged it, or something equally as foolish. I will continue my level creation this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

themacmeister

Currently Playing:

I am also using tools that may not be compatible with mapc features. ie: subtract/merge. Is there anything I *should not* use?

themacmeister

Currently Playing:

themacmeister wrote:

I am also using tools that may not be compatible with mapc features. ie: subtract/merge. Is there anything I *should not* use?

themacmeister

Not at all. I constantly use these tools, very usefull wink

After I use (as example) subtract, the original object remains, and there is a multitude of invisible objects in compiled map. It may not be this, but it seems my install of gtkradiant (1.4 & 1.5) may be interfering with each other? Who knows...

themacmeister

Currently Playing: