1 (edited by reshaun 2017-10-30 00:10:50)

Topic: Reshaun's Halloween Levels

Hey guys!
I got my new halloween levelset,
spooky backgrounds,
and spooky textures!

https://sites.google.com/site/reshaunsneverballpage/home/screenshots/Reshauns%20Halloween%20Levels.png?attredirects=0

Reshaun's Halloween Levels.zip

I hope you all enjoy your halloween!

Reshaun

Here is my unofficial level and putt course contributions:
iLevels Collection iPutt Collection

2 (edited by camthesaxman 2017-10-30 15:49:07)

Re: Reshaun's Halloween Levels

I'm trying out your levels. Is the background supposed to be white like this?
https://i.imgur.com/Kwk7LCR.png
I think you're missing a few textures and png files in that zip.

3 (edited by reshaun 2017-10-30 20:25:13)

Oops. My Bad. I have to replace backgrounds and textures.
Re-Up

Reshaun

Nice! These weren't too difficult for me. I tried to get all the coins on the bonus levels, but I couldn't jump those gaps well.

I have one request. Can you please resize all of your images to be powers of two? Neverball targets OpenGL ES 1.1, which doesn't support NPOT textures, and even devices that do support them (most graphics cards these days) will render more efficiently if the texture dimensions are powers of two. That big Mars image on your iLevels makes my machine really struggle if I don't resize it.

5 (edited by reshaun 2017-11-02 20:49:30)

camthesaxman wrote:

Nice! These weren't too difficult for me. I tried to get all the coins on the bonus levels, but I couldn't jump those gaps well.

I have one request. Can you please resize all of your images to be powers of two? Neverball targets OpenGL ES 1.1, which doesn't support NPOT textures, and even devices that do support them (most graphics cards these days) will render more efficiently if the texture dimensions are powers of two. That big Mars image on your iLevels makes my machine really struggle if I don't resize it.

How about Bulk Resize Photos and Re-created Levels?

Reshaun

Here's a shell script that I used to upscale all of the NPOT images to the next power of two. You need Imagemagick installed.

#!/bin/bash

function next_pow2 {
    i=1
    while [ $i -lt $1 ];
    do
        i=$((i*2))
    done
    result=$i
}

for f in $(find "$1" -name '*.png' -or -name '*.jpg');
do
    w=$(identify -format "%w" "$f")
    h=$(identify -format "%h" "$f")
    next_pow2 $w
    w2=$result
    next_pow2 $h
    h2=$result
    if [ "$w" -ne "$w2" ] || [ "$h" -ne "$h2" ];
    then
        echo "resizing image $f from ${w}x${h} to ${w2}x${h2}"
        convert "$f" -resize ${w2}x${h2}! "$f"
    fi
done

Just save it as resize_pow2.sh and run

./resize_pow2.sh dir

where dir is a directory containing images.

camthesaxman wrote:

Here's a shell script that I used to upscale all of the NPOT images to the next power of two. You need Imagemagick installed.

#!/bin/bash

function next_pow2 {
    i=1
    while [ $i -lt $1 ];
    do
        i=$((i*2))
    done
    result=$i
}

for f in $(find "$1" -name '*.png' -or -name '*.jpg');
do
    w=$(identify -format "%w" "$f")
    h=$(identify -format "%h" "$f")
    next_pow2 $w
    w2=$result
    next_pow2 $h
    h2=$result
    if [ "$w" -ne "$w2" ] || [ "$h" -ne "$h2" ];
    then
        echo "resizing image $f from ${w}x${h} to ${w2}x${h2}"
        convert "$f" -resize ${w2}x${h2}! "$f"
    fi
done

Just save it as resize_pow2.sh and run

./resize_pow2.sh dir

where dir is a directory containing images.

I use paint.net and bulk resize photos,
not using Imagemagick.

Reshaun

Once again good job on those levels (and textures), reshaun. I think they are most fun when you try to collect all the coins.

I think it was a good design choice to make the levels not terribly difficult or complicated to beat unless you grab all the coins. This way you can revisit the levels once you feel ready. It also seems to be a good way to solve the problem of "long, arduous linearly-designed levels," which I discussed in this topic. (Though maybe hard levels that can cause protracted struggles are an important part, if not a plus, of playing Neverball.)

Here I have two sort of fast replays where all coins are collected. Once I get better at corner jumps I will hopefully be able to do this faster.

keep it up,
--It the it

Post's attachments

halloween-01_04.nbr 392.57 kb, 57 downloads since 2017-11-10 

halloween-04_01.nbr 1.3 mb, 57 downloads since 2017-11-10 

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988
avatar drawn with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled down with GIMP
にほんご べんきょう する。 (i am studying japanese)

You should try the two bonus levels. Those are quite a challenge to grab all the coins.

camthesaxman wrote:

You should try the two bonus levels. Those are quite a challenge to grab all the coins.

I already did.

Reshaun

camthesaxman wrote:

I have also already tried (and beat) these levels.

Here are my opinions of each individual level:

• 1: Great opening level. The angles of the corners seem they would be interesting for corner jumps, a few of which I have attempted. The spacing and drop heights of the edges around the blue coins also seem freestyle-conducive, as my replay shows.

• 2:

Spoiler

Another good déjà-vu level, though it does not seem to add any real new elements from the original "sloped-walkways" level from Neverball Medium, other than having a chasm in a walkway.

• 3: Ditto, basically. The final moving peg does get me the most. smile

• 4: This is quite fun when trying to collect all of the coins.

Spoiler

When running off the thin rail immediately before the goal to collect the blue coin, the ball often bounced off the edge at a weird angle, which is a neat plus. This level could be another good candidate for freestyle, namely when collecting the final blue coin.

• 5: A fun interesting level. It feels like a cross between a halfpipe level and Medium II. It exemplifies what I meant about the coins adding replay value.

• 6: Another good example of replay value from the coins. Trying to grab all the the coins swiftly, or with minimal runs in the thwomp areas, is fun and will take some practice.

• 7: A really easy level. Wouldn't it the first or an early level?

• 8: Cool idea. An all-coins run could be a good exercise for swiftly grabbing 2x2 groups of coins.

• I and II: Playful ideas, they feel like adaptations of Dave's Levels 01. Both levels have interesting bouncing and will probably be interesting for breaking one's own records.

I now realize it would be interesting to have a thread where people could compete to post the best replays of various levels from all of reshaun's levelsets. Many of reshaun's levels somehow feel like playing the first 3 levelsets of Neverball, which served as good replay competition grounds on the Nevertable.

--It the it

6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988

Good

¿what´s up? *Gus

Again, nice work reshaun!

It the it wrote:

I now realize it would be interesting to have a thread where people could compete to post the best replays of various levels from all of reshaun's levelsets. Many of reshaun's levels somehow feel like playing the first 3 levelsets of Neverball, which served as good replay competition grounds on the Nevertable.

I can contribute some replays to this competition. smile

I’ve been thinking about this as well.  At this point, I’m strongly considering the idea of converting the Nevertable portion of the forum over to something like this.  I would make a dedicated thread for all existing levelsets where everyone could post replays and try to one-up each other as It the it has described. 

Perhaps an additional “help I’m stuck” subsection for players to get advice or request replays of specific levels.

vidski wrote:

I would make a dedicated thread for all existing levelsets where everyone could post replays and try to one-up each other as It the it has described.

To me this seems like something you might (emphasis on this word) make a subsection for. If you consider all the levelsets other than the ones included with Neverball, I think it might eventually grow messy/overwhelming to have lots of posts with replays of various levelsets in the same thread.

Perhaps an additional “help I’m stuck” subsection for players to get advice or request replays of specific levels.

To my memory, threads/posts of this type have not been not especially abundant and have not cluttered up the "Neverball" and/or the "Contest" subsections very much. Couldn't people continue making these posts without a new subsection and it would be alright?

--It the it

It the it wrote:
vidski wrote:

I would make a dedicated thread for all existing levelsets where everyone could post replays and try to one-up each other as It the it has described.

To me this seems like something you might (emphasis on this word) make a subsection for. If you consider all the levelsets other than the ones included with Neverball, I think it might eventually grow messy/overwhelming to have lots of posts with replays of various levelsets in the same thread.

To my memory, threads/posts of this type have not been not especially abundant and have not cluttered up the "Neverball" and/or the "Contest" subsections very much. Couldn't people continue making these posts without a new subsection and it would be alright?

--It the it

Nope, I just make big hole. Re-Up

Reshaun

reshaun on 11-18-2017 wrote:

Btw, what exactly are the changes in this release made since you uploaded it on 10/30/17? As far as I can tell, the only change is that some textures in level II are broken.

--It the it

It the it wrote:
reshaun on 11-18-2017 wrote:

Btw, what exactly are the changes in this release made since you uploaded it on 10/30/17? As far as I can tell, the only change is that some textures in level II are broken.

--It the it

I just Fixed my texture in level II.

Reshaun

Thanks Shaun

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Hey guys!

It's my new spooky update.
Added 5 spooky levels and few level tweaks of iHalloween Levels.

I hope you all enjoy your halloween!

Reshaun

nice

How ya doin?

Which levels are the spooky ones?

Level set progress:
01 02 03 04 I  05 06 07 08 II   09 10 11 12 III   13 14 15? 16 IV   17 18 19 20 V
(red = in-progress, bold+green = complete). I may decide to remake 15... or not.

23 (edited by KodeBreaker 2018-10-15 20:18:29)

Just played the 5 new levels and their awesome! Great work! My favorite is 12!
Here's some replays:

Post's attachments

halloween-01_01.nbr 709.74 kb, 19 downloads since 2018-10-15 

halloween-10_01.nbr 382.11 kb, 15 downloads since 2018-10-15 

halloween-12_01.nbr 662.93 kb, 17 downloads since 2018-10-15 

halloween-III_01.nbr 680.76 kb, 16 downloads since 2018-10-15 

Download my levels here: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=3147
Progress: Medium: 21/25    Hard: 18/25    Expert: 15/25

These levels are very colorful and amazing! But I have two criticisms

1) Track 2 is used too much
2) I would like to see some levels with tracks 1, 4, and 6

Download the Neverball Extreme Tetralogy here: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=3276

adacrop wrote:

2) I would like to see some levels with tracks 1, 4, and 6

I love track 6. It reminds me of my best speedrun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Y1_28xIT8

DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT, LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE
NEVERBRICK