Re: End of hosting nevercorner... soon

Thank you all for your answers, some of them are really touching me you know !

I've thought about this for several month, almost a year maybe before taking the decision a month ago. I agree the 2-months delay is a bit short, it's due to hosting deadlines and mainly personal reasons. I'm not sure more months will completely change anything though smile

Actually I even think it's better like this. I am obviously not good with hosting the community anymore, I don't spend enough time into it. Providing hosting with no new features on the site (neverfeatures is the master word here big_smile ), no new things to play with in the nevertable for years, even no moderation to add / check new replays uploaded, it can't continue with this minimum-time-spent attitude without dying slowly with no hope of renewal.

There are such awesome work to do on Neverball to create a greater community again with newcomers ! Let's dream for a few minutes....

Imagine a nice online platform to upload your levels, with rankings, categories, comments, as you can find for other community-driven games like osu or  stepmania ! It could be merged with nevertable of course, providing leaderboards for each levels... Maybe with online content integrated inside Neverball itself, imagine a nice "New world record" message when you beat a level in the speedrun category, or an autoplay of replays from an integrated leaderboards ! And why not optimized and maintained mobile version in the future...

With new modern community oriented features, I'm pretty sure Neverball could have lot more new players than some old guys like playing Neverball for ten years, busy with other stuff nowadays wink The game itslef is still very appealing I think.

I really heartily hope the community will continue, with more contents added to Neverball, and a new beginning with a target of launching Neverball 2.0 with web 2.0 features one day.

Concerning current hosting, I can give you more info :
- neverwiki is 120MB, just PHP is needed,
- neverforum is 460MB (lot of levels posted here) with PHP and MySql needed (database is 50MB),
- nevertable 1.5 is 770MB with PHP and MySql needed (database is <1MB, seems ridiculous here, but it's rich nonetheless),
- nevertable 1.4 is... useless now ? 285MB of exciting replays though smile

For sure if the official site neverball.org could host the forum, it could be nice.
As you see the hosting need a bit of disk space, traffic or CPU load is indeed not a problem : a Celeron is running nevercorner.net currently ^^

The community can also maybe temporary use other clouds like reddit or anything by creating a Neverball space where we can keep in touch ?

Penguinpowadude wrote:

There is this site called "The Wayback Machine", with the sole purpose of archiving random websites for future viewing. Their latest archive of Nevercorner is from October 30 of 2015. Here's a link: https://web.archive.org/web/20151030025 … orner.net/

Yeah, a new snapshot has even been made 2 days ago :-)

rlk wrote:

Let's definitely preserve the database in some fashion. Make it available and anyone who wants a copy can grab it.

Of course, I will backup all the contents until the end, share with anyone wishing to continue the adventure and help as far as I can !

Don't leave me forever!

Reshaun

Here is my unofficial level and putt course contributions:
iLevels Collection iPutt Collection

Thanks for your additional remarks, shino.

In the mean time, I just remembered that we still have an IRC channel we can use to chat: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23neverball

Of course the channel is hardly used now, but it could change quickly depending on how many people are willing to give this a go... Either way, just remember to be very patient.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

Hi all:

Sorry for being so late to chime in on this thread. To wax nostalgic for just a moment, I can say that getting hooked on Neverball and engaging the community here in the forums was literally the beginning of what is now a part-time career in web development. Building Neverball from source was the first time I ever really used the command line. I used version control for the first time in the process of keeping up with events on the trac server. With the help of themacmeister and others I even took the plunge into the linux world and that has opened many doors for me professionally.

On top of that, I can certainly say that this community and the game was helpful during some difficult times in my life on a personal level. It was always a fun distraction, and I dare say because of the forums and the friendly atmosphere it was superior to most gaming activities as it wasn't just a solitary pursuit.

I am actually considering taking on the challenge and expense of hosting the forums and nevertable so they can stay online and have the chance of new visitors and renewed activity at some time in the near future. While I'm not eager to get deeper involved with server administration, I can't think of an open source project that is more meaningful to me than this one.

It is most likely that if I do decide to take this step I will move the forums into the "discourse" platform (it's 100% open-source, ruby/postgres/redis). Regardless, I will definitely be in touch with Shino and get my hands on a copy of everything.

tonesfrommars wrote:

I am actually considering taking on the challenge and expense of hosting the forums and nevertable so they can stay online and have the chance of new visitors and renewed activity at some time in the near future...

I knew it: tones is always good, let's say best, for bringing on good news!

tonesfrommars wrote:

I will definitely be in touch with Shino and get my hands on a copy of everything.

tones is DA MAN !!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Glad to hear tones is willing to experiment!

I also agree that this game has been a good learning experience. It is difficult to imagine where my custom build, Neverball Clockwork, would have gone without learning more advanced concepts of C on my own.

Relieved of much weariness regarding how much feedback I could get once Nevercorner goes down, I can resume further development whenever I like... or at least when I can get another burst of creativity. Either way, the project is not quite complete.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

So, I am back home and I could start doing something...

Is there an easy way to grab all the levelsets released on this forum? We could create a project on GitHub for them.

RIP Neverforum... hope to see you back soon in some form :-(

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Time to download all the levelsets that I have not played yet / are updated.

Thank you shino for hosting the nevercorner all these years!

In the meantime, do we head over to reddit? The creator of the Neverball subreddit is still active (check his comment history).

I have so many replays (mainly of tones' and Reshauns' levelsets) that I would like to share/upload, might as well do it there.
Or I could stream them on twitch (would be announced on whatever platform the nevercorner will be continued)

Is this goodbye then? Never!

See you all in the future

Maybe the site's near its end now.

I registered my account about 6 years ago, when I was just a kid.

Now I've grown up and no longer play this game.

But when I finished cached all the custom levelsets and records in the forum just now, I found how valuable things the site had gave me. Thanks to all contributors.

Neverball is always a game that belongs to a small minority. I feel lucky to meet all of you. Thank you.

Just decided to open up a steam group, and even sent out friend requests to a few members that I could find.

Here is the public group for anyone to join: Neverball Steam group

Nothing special at the moment, just another place for the community to regroup for now.

Cheers!

Guys (and gals..?):
Shino has delivered archives to me and I will begin to experiment locally so I can convert the forum to the discourse platform.

It will probably take me a month or two to get it together as the conversion will probably require some tinkering/research/experimentation and I will also have to consider and investigate options for hosting.

My first priority will be getting the forum back online, then we can discuss how to approach the nevertable.

I'll check out reddit and if I have anything to report I'll try to communicate it over there.

It's been a blast, see you on the other side!

Sad to see the Neverforum come to an end, as I've had many good memories playing Neverball and visiting this forum over the past several years. I'm glad to hear that this isn't forever and we will be getting it up and running again at some point! Until then, I'm happy to move along to the Neverball subreddit so we can keep some discussions going. I hope we can continue further development of the game as well. I feel like there's a lot of custom levels that are of sufficient quality to make their way into the main release, and it would be nice to see some new Nevertable replays of new sets too. smile

Thanks guys for all the good times! big_smile

Hi everyone,

I will close everything tomorrow around 8 - 10h GMT.
Then I'll keep safe the latest backups and share them with tones to hopefully get it running again in the future :-)

I am on reddit too so I'll check Neverball subreddit !

See you <3

I'm not on Reddit, but I have joined the Steam group.

Don't forget that Neverball development remains on Github.

There is currently a link to the forum on neverball.org. What should we replace it with?

That's it, then. Awesome times. See you around, guys.

43 (edited by Penguinpowadude 2016-02-06 18:49:06)

Installing steam so I can join the group.

EDIT: Joined under the name "Mighty Burger". Horray for new steam account!

Blasting through your front door with a zebra

bye my friends! I will return to my planet, I hope to see you again!

¿what´s up? *Gus

45 (edited by reshaun 2017-01-24 16:31:02)

I miss you nevercorner friends. <:(

Goodbye Forever.

Reshaun

Here is my unofficial level and putt course contributions:
iLevels Collection iPutt Collection

46 (edited by dtb 2017-01-27 11:37:01)

parasti wrote:

I'm not on Reddit, but I have joined the Steam group.

Don't forget that Neverball development remains on Github.

There is currently a link to the forum on neverball.org. What should we replace it with?

That's it, then. Awesome times. See you around, guys.

Neverforum.com  would be a proper replacement for the old link

Hope you're still araound, parasti...

UPDATE 27.01.17: just noticed it's solved