Topic: End of hosting nevercorner... soon

Hi guys,

I've hosted this small nevercorner composed of nevertable, neverforum and neverwiki for more than 10 years now. That is awesome.

I really love Neverball / Nuncabola, I love what I was doing for the community with the nevertable, launched on an whim with mym, pushed by the versus fighting Neverball offered with speedrunning the levels. That was my first real project in PHP and I learned a lot by developing it,  and restarted it form scratch at least three times before having something I (and we) like :-) This is a great adventure, the passion was strong, and we live plenty of good moments !

However we have to consider that nowadays, the community is not really active anymore. The forum is dying, nobody is taking care of the Nevertable for years. Neverball himself is not really updated anymore. I am not personally an active member either now, but I'm always not so far to manage as I can spam accounts, and maintain a minimum of service and security update on the backend side to be sure everything is safe and run well.

Thus as I don't have much time nor motivation anymore to run the server, and I have no more personal use of the hosting, I announce it will go offline at the end of January (the ultimate date is February 14th, but I plan to stop the service at the end of January).

Of course I won't let anything disappear with no way to maintain the community if you wish the adventure to continue. If one of you, amongst the community leaders, want to take the succession for the hosting, I will be happy to give you all the data (files and databases) you need to get it online again. Currently it runs on PHP 5.3, Mysql 5.1, and take around 2GB of disk space.

You can discuss about it in this thread, how you see the future, and tell me :-)

Re: End of hosting nevercorner... soon

shino wrote:

Hi guys,

I've hosted this small nevercorner composed of nevertable, neverforum and neverwiki for more than 10 years now. That is awesome.

I really love Neverball / Nuncabola, I love what I was doing for the community with the nevertable, launched on an whim with mym, pushed by the versus fighting Neverball offered with speedrunning the levels. That was my first real project in PHP and I learned a lot by developing it,  and restarted it form scratch at least three times before having something I (and we) like :-) This is a great adventure, the passion was strong, and we live plenty of good moments !

However we have to consider that nowadays, the community is not really active anymore. The forum is dying, nobody is taking care of the Nevertable for years. Neverball himself is not really updated anymore. I am not personally an active member either now, but I'm always not so far to manage as I can spam accounts, and maintain a minimum of service and security update on the backend side to be sure everything is safe and run well.

Thus as I don't have much time nor motivation anymore to run the server, and I have no more personal use of the hosting, I announce it will go offline at the end of January (the ultimate date is February 14th, but I plan to stop the service at the end of January).

Of course I won't let anything disappear with no way to maintain the community if you wish the adventure to continue. If one of you, amongst the community leaders, want to take the succession for the hosting, I will be happy to give you all the data (files and databases) you need to get it online again. Currently it runs on PHP 5.3, Mysql 5.1, and take around 2GB of disk space.

You can discuss about it in this thread, how you see the future, and tell me :-)

Oh no you don't!

Reshaun

Here is my unofficial level and putt course contributions:
iLevels Collection iPutt Collection

I will not return to my home without knowing the nevercorner happens!, I hope someone takes over the site, and I am convinced that any forum member will. And say goodbye to the Earth with good news hmm

¿what´s up? *Gus

Maybe it would be possible to set up a smaller site, that can be run on a shared server? We have had a new software release this year, and there are also people making new levels, so Neverball isn't dead.

End of January isn't a lot of time to reorganize, expecially since many people are busy at this time of year. I'd be happy to look into taking over/helping with the hosting, but I will be travelling until the end of Januaury - there is nothng that I could do in this time frame.

shino wrote:

Hello shino,

first let me say thank you for keeping the Nevercorner running for all these years. It has been a valuable resource for the development of the game, the creation of level sets, and general discussion for contributors and users alike. In a very real sense, the Nevercorner has been the heart of the Neverball community. It is also my view that you have managed the Neverforum in a way that was always friendly, fair and unpretentious, something that cannot be taken for granted when it comes to forum administrators.

Plus, the Nevertable was great fun! Personally, I was a bit late to the party so I missed out on some of the early duels. Discovering the contest, however, eventually ignited what became an entertaining (if sometimes nerve-racking) hobby: trying to come up with new records while watching others do the same. This competitive way of playing Neverball added a whole new layer to the game, and your software helped to support it.

As for the future? For various reasons, I'm not in a suitable position to take on hosting responsibilities myself in the near term. If it hasn't happened yet, perhaps rlk should be contacted to see whether he has resources at his disposal that might keep the site online, or general thoughts on the matter.

Hello,

I remember how when I uploaded my first 2 levels, it seemed like I suddenly made other members on the forum more active (this might simply be a coincidence). Mr. K, ht-never, ed49, and others of the newer members, registered and uploaded quite a lot of new levels. (Some of the longer-time members made some great new levels, too.) Elvis implemented rotations into Neverball's physics. Something similar happened on the Nevertable, too, when I uploaded a few record-breaking replays (now only one is unbeaten).

I'm just saying that I dearly want to upload 1 or more new levels as a goal during this Christmas vacation. smile I have to admit that for a while I pretty much fell on the line of "I only play Neverball when there's new levels." I've been playing Neverball more now, though. If I can upload my level, hopefully I can spark another little "burst" of activity on this forum. I hope that someone will be able to take over this forum, or that it will stay online for a while longer than January 1st or February 14th.

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988
avatar drawn with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled down with GIMP
にほんご べんきょう する。 (i am studying japanese)

Thanks shino for the great work up to now. I realise the boards seem to go silent for weeks at a time, but every time there is a new level or a code patch, there is a flurry of action.

I think the forum could be (if possible) folded into the actual neverball main site (and hosting). Traffic certainly won't be a problem. ;-)

Anyways, I have loved the forum. Never got adept enough at playing to post a replay on the table, but I'm glad it exists. There are some crazy-good players from the forum... I really hope someone does a speedrun at one of the marathons, and there would be renewed interest in neverball 1.6.x

Thanks again everyone.

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

It's pretty crazy that it's been over 10 years. Couldn't agree more with what Elviz said, about this place being the heart of the community. It is and was, through all the time that I've been here (which is incidentally also over 10 years). A really, really big thanks to shino for all the time, money and effort he's put into it.

As you know, my Neverball involvement has dwindled to almost none, and it's probably not going to pick back up. That said, I am interested in certain things not being completely lost due to Nevercorner shutting down. Specifically, I would like forum posts and uploaded files to be preserved, as there are a lot of user-made contributions uploaded and/or linked here. I also think a public forum is necessary for the community to remain aware of itself (but it needn't be the same as this one).

Hopefully rlk will chime in.

It is unfortunate to hear that Nevercorner will no longer be maintained. I had valuable feedback whenever I posted countless updates my custom sets, encouraging me to improve the sets. Despite being late to the party, even nearly nine years is still a lot of time I have been registered!

Although I do have a PHP webspace, as a non-paying user, its capabilities are far too weak to maintain Nevercorner in its current state.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

I echo the others in saying that the nevercorner forum has been the heart of the Neverball realm. A great place to share ideas, get help with making levels, and how to use the "curve" program, post your own creations, etc. Thanks, shino, for the decade of hosting this forum!

Clearly, there is still interest in the community - a new generation of Neverballers. But we "old men" don't have the passion(or time) for it we used to - life changes with career, family, etc. Still, I'll always be happy to have made friends with you, and mym, and parasti, and macmeister, and the list goes on.

p.s. Looks like I've been here for a decade, too. Time flies!

(plus, it will always feel good to be able to say I freestyled Mym V (the old 24) TWICE! May the record stand forever!)

It's amazing how many users check in regularly (even if they don't post) !!

Currently Playing:

Sorry but no hosting-capabilities on my side sad
I agree with GunChleoc that there is probably only (too) little time left to find new solutions until the end of January but I truly hope there will be a way...

shino you did a damn fine job, been the best spam-eraser out there in a decade (literally!) and I can imagine that it hasn't been too rewarding keeping the whole thing up while the activity in the community almost ceased to exist. Anyway that's excatly what you did - Kudos!

I really enjoyed visiting this little place on the net and regularly communicating with all of you, I believe it's one of the finest forums with so many people always trying to help and most of the stuff here being addressed in a polite manner as well - so that's rarely seen!

Cheers

dtb

@themacmeister: you're right, it's amazing - it seems that all of them are still there... now I'm waiting for rlk, tones and perhaps even cheese to return and chime in!

I'll email Cheese, and let him know!

Currently Playing:

Thanks for the heads up, themacmeister. Even though I've stepped back, the Neverball community will always be special to me and I will always carry fond memories of my time and the people here.

shino, you've been a great host and administrator of the forums. As Elviz says, you've always been thoughtful,  considerate and fair. Though I never really participated much in the Nevertable, I can see that it brought people together and allowed the game to be appreciated on a new level.

I'm not sure if I'm in a position to offer something permanent, but if everybody is stuck, I think I could help with hosting temporarily. Alternatively migrating to icculus.org hosting (where the Neverball website was once hosted) may also be an option - somebody would probably need to contact Ryan about that.

Apologies to those who've sent me PMs - I don't get notifications for PMs and don't come back to check them very often. I'll respond now.

If anybody needs to reach me or wants to stay in touch, feel free to reach out via email or Twitter or hunt me down on G+. Best of luck and warm wishes to everybody for the future <3

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

15 (edited by GunChleoc 2015-12-25 12:51:23)

As I said, I would be happy to help figure something out for the future, but I can't do so by the deadline.

sounds like the biggest problems are webspace size (= paying for the hosting) and he spam accounts. If we had multiple people with admin accounts, we could share the load of deleting spam. The levels and levelsets attached to posts could be migrated to Github releases, for example - that would take some time though. I think I already have the nevessary privileges on GitHub for this.

16 (edited by dtb 2016-01-03 00:31:00)

...the official site will stay?

As far as I know. (Currently down, though?)

Hi everyone,

It's been a long since I last visited this place. Cheese told me about the upcoming end of the nevercorner and it made me feel weird, nostalgic. I had a great experience with many of you here. The nevertable was very exciting, building levels a part of my life I will never forget. Discussing and learning from the community very pleasant and enriching.

I hope some of you can find a way to provide the community with a another mean of discussion and interaction.

hey, i would be more than happy to manage it! all i need is the time and money. don't have much money, but hopefully i wil have it soon!

20 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2016-01-08 14:41:40)

Likewise, if income was not a problem on my end, I would also be happy to take over.

On top of my struggles with creativity, I never was able to "finish" the Neverball Clockwork sets, currently stuck at three (3) levels short. I also struggled with polishing the Puttworks courses, even though they are otherwise complete.

In the meantime, I will look into a contingency plan to see if I can refit Nevergalaxy and/or Neverputt Calendar to accomodate Nevercorner's closure.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

21 (edited by MopeDude 2016-01-09 17:42:25)

i will make another forum big_smile (it will have .boards.net, but i maybe will change that soon to neverforum.net or something.) it will have ads but i will remove them soon!

This is unfortunate. Hopefully someone else can take up the task! I'd hate for this to go away!

Blasting through your front door with a zebra

All good things must come to an end.

Let's definitely preserve the database in some fashion. Make it available and anyone who wants a copy can grab it.

24 (edited by Penguinpowadude 2016-01-19 00:25:54)

There is this site called "The Wayback Machine", with the sole purpose of archiving random websites for future viewing. Their latest archive of Nevercorner is from October 30 of 2015. Here's a link: https://web.archive.org/web/20151030025 … orner.net/

EDIT: New snapshot! From Jan 11, 2016 https://web.archive.org/web/20160111034 … orner.net/

Blasting through your front door with a zebra

25 (edited by ht-never 2016-01-13 13:06:44)

So I guess this is the end sad

I can't describe how happy I am that I've had the possibility to share these emotions with such a great community. I've been wandering around this forum for about four long years, now, and I believe this has been one of the most useful hobbies I have ever had. If I think about it, I had the occasion to learn about mapping, game design and all other sort of stuff that improves my general knowledge, and of course I also had fun.

I know I wasn't really active, lately. There are so many stuff I wanted to do that I didn't have to time to, but I still hope I have been useful to the game, somehow, in these years. It makes me happy.

Goodbye, fellows.

~DEV