1 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2017-02-27 20:14:03)

Topic: Project Clockwork

Greetings Neververse players,

It has been quite some time since I last made my add-on content to the public, having been sticking to behind the scenes for the past several years. Nonetheless, I have been hinting at this for quite some time, and I believe now is the best time to unleash the content to the public.

-- About Neverball Clockwork --
Neverball Clockwork is a custom build containing an exclusive collectible item called a clock. Players can (and sometimes must) collect these clocks to extend their play time on a level. The main build comprises of two returning sets formerly known as Neverball Forever, and includes post-1.6.0 tweaks.

Clockwork Alpha has been given a huge overhaul and is now an exploration themed set. Quality differences are noticeable nearly everywhere, with every level having been heavily tested. This set is meant to be enjoyed by all players, and is comparable to Neverball Medium and, to a lesser extent, Neverball Hard.

Clockwork Beta has also been given an overhaul. While the set has had gaps over the years, it has finally been completed! The set has more challenging opportunities, and is catered to more experienced players.

In addition to the build (offered as Windows binaries, or as source code), a temporary set has been created, intended to be playable in the official Neverball Builds starting with version 1.6.0. This set is called Clockwork Remix, and most of its levels are from Clockwork Alpha, with a few levels from Clockwork Beta to fill in the gap.

https://sites.google.com/site/csnevergalaxy/clockwork/files/WebTree.png https://sites.google.com/site/csnevergalaxy/clockwork/files/CrazyHills.png

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

2 (edited by dtb 2014-11-06 23:44:03)

Re: Project Clockwork

This is awesome work, CSY, some quite genuine stuff one can find here!

I just made my way through Clockwork Alpha in challenge mode and I was able to obtain all coins in all of the 20 + V levels (some of them not so easy as I thought it would be at first glance)

I just picked up everything (clocks and coins) and only then I realised that there would have been no need to do so as I had enough time left in some levels - and skipping the clocks had given me a better time-record in many cases mad   But I wasn't aware of that in the first place and then another thing is that coins and clocks look pretty similar...

Anyway, I'll continue tomorrow with Beta and then "The Remix".

Enclosed some replays!

Cheers

dtb

Post's attachments

csy-13_01.nbr 1.07 mb, 72 downloads since 2014-11-06 

csy-14_03.nbr 949.81 kb, 66 downloads since 2014-11-06 

csy-16_01.nbr 750.06 kb, 67 downloads since 2014-11-06 

csy-II_04.nbr 1.13 mb, 74 downloads since 2014-11-06 

csy-IV_02.nbr 1.25 mb, 64 downloads since 2014-11-06 

3 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2014-11-08 05:03:03)

Thanks for providing feedback, dtb!

dtb wrote:

... then another thing is that coins and clocks look pretty similar...

After a more deliberate thought, I do agree that the clocks need better distinction than just a new skin. Although I could give them a single dedicated color, it will gum up levels that use the colored coin pads.

I am currently leaning on the color of pink

dtb wrote:

Anyway, I'll continue tomorrow with Beta and then "The Remix".

Good luck with these sets.

Just downloaded the Clockwork Remix set, but I have not touched it yet. Would you guys be interested in me streaming playing through it on twitch?

5 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2014-11-09 14:36:16)

Interesting decision you are making, Haexxlor. Too bad I have no Twitch account, let alone experience.

Sounds like you plan on doing a live [semi-]blind run through the set.

6 (edited by dtb 2014-11-09 20:00:47)

Sorry, not using Twitch either... but considering your extraordinary level of skill I'd say that you could manage to run through the set in about 10 up to 15 minutes and that's just the perfect duration for an average YouTube tutorial wink

7 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2014-11-09 21:09:49)

dtb wrote:

... you could manage to run through the set in about 10 up to 15 minutes...

That probably depends on the kind of run Haex wants to do, and how many lives he losses. My test run (link may constitute a spoiler, discretion is advised) of a pre-release of Clockwork Alpha took 20 minutes, although that is with 6 lives lost shooting for "no secrets max%". When I get around to redoing the set, I will likely attempt a low% run of the set.

Yes, it would basically be a "blind" run, unlocking all the regular levels first and doing challenge mode after. Might as well go for a few best time runs later on smile I am thinking about doing it next weekend

You can watch without an account on twitch btw. that is only needed to participate in chat.

9 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2014-11-10 07:14:22)

Good luck with the run, Haex.

P.S. I just built Neverball Clockwork 1.6.0.1 under Ubuntu. With the package management version still on version 1.5.4, I no longer have to switch to a Windows system just to use content that is compatible only with Neverball 1.6.0.

Update: I seemed to have misread one of your earlier posts, Haex. I misunderstood as one not knowing how to stream. Still, it would be nice if I knew where to go when it goes live.

Challenge Space Yard wrote:

My test run of a pre-release of Clockwork Alpha took 20 minutes, although that is with 6 lives lost shooting for "no secrets max%". When I get around to redoing the set, I will likely attempt a low% run of the set.

...no to mention that you were also "trying to get as much coins as possible (without using any secret paths)", so when you come back to try it again and just unlock all the goals you will be able to complete your set much faster I guess! By the way, glad to know that others lose lots of lives in "forked road" as well - thought it's only me gambling away lives here (perhaps because it looks so easy)

I'm almost through with obtaining all coins (in all levels) of the Clockwork Beta set. Quite a challenge!
Will post some replays again when finished.

Cheers

dtb

11 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2014-11-13 00:21:23)

I'd say the hardest levels to 100% in Clockwork Alpha are Invisible Road, Jump Mastery, and Forked Road. Speed Jumps gets an honorable mention for being borderline due to its pacing.

If bonus levels were allowed, then I would also add Hyper Speed and Narrow Bends to the list, with aMazing Path added to the borderline list.

Update: Screenshot of the proposed change to the clock items
Update 2: Screenshot modified to be reasonably spoiler-free
http://sites.google.com/site/csnevergalaxy/clockwork/news/clockitemconfusion/NewClockProposal.png

Hi CSY, 

nice colouring for the clock-coins! How about putting them in a different, more distinguished shape - what about little alarm clocks?

Funny thing... I consider Speed Jumps and especially Invisible Road among the easier levels and e.g. Turbines, Time Pressure or Glassy Intersection being much harder (btw. do you mean by "...to 100%" - to get all coins in the level?)

As for Forked Road I think I found the fastest way now to grab all coins (enclosed). And did I already mention that I really like to produce replays where you can actually see what's happening when you hit a switch? Amazing Path is a good example (also enclosed).

Cheers

dtb

Post's attachments

csy-19_01.nbr 847.88 kb, 81 downloads since 2014-11-12 

csy-V_03.nbr 1.43 mb, 66 downloads since 2014-11-12 

dtb wrote:

nice colouring for the clock-coins! How about putting them in a different, more distinguished shape - what about little alarm clocks?

Although alarm clocks sound nice, I lack modeling skills

dtb wrote:

... do you mean by "...to 100%" - to get all coins in the level?

Yes, to get all the money coins. We seem to be somewhat in agreement outside of 100% coins. Turbines gives me the most trouble, except when simply speed running.

Glassy Intersection does get an honorable mention with those bully boxes, I have had to tone them down a few times to avoid needing to push them to the second set.

dtb wrote:

And did I already mention that I really like to produce replays where you can actually see what's happening when you hit a switch? Amazing Path is a good example (also enclosed).

Amazing Path sure is a nice example when the option to see a door lower is there... too bad the doors are too close together.

Spoiler

On the flip side, solving the door puzzle is not required to finish Amazing Path

14 (edited by dtb 2014-11-13 08:22:31)

Finished the Clockwork Remix yesterday. The compilation of the two sets works well in my opinion, it all looks very polished and somehow revised - nice!

From your previous efforts I'm sadly missing Halfpipe & Dragon Slope (others I regularly enjoyed were Aero Dive and Ultimate). Especially Dragon Slope with its passage of superimposed ramps/floors had a somehow unique feeling/gameplay to me.

I made good progress with Clockwork Beta but then I hopelessly got stuck on Impossibility, so perhaps you could give me just a small hint whether I'm only wasting my time here and should continue in cheat-mode or...

dtb wrote:

The compilation of the two sets works well in my opinion, it all looks very polished and somehow revised - nice!

In addition to a handful of cosmetic improvements, I took what I felt was the highest quality levels that didn't use clocks, and used them to make a 1.6.0-compatible set. I originally considered just releasing a 20 level set, but I felt Clockwork Beta had a few worthy levels that could be used.

dtb wrote:

From your previous efforts I'm sadly missing Halfpipe & Dragon Slope (others I regularly enjoyed were Aero Dive and Ultimate). Especially Dragon Slope with its passage of superimposed ramps/floors had a somehow unique feeling/gameplay to me.

I was not exactly certain how viable many "race track" levels were, not to mention I was not satisfied with their quality, so they were removed. Likewise, I was not satisfied with the quality of Halfpipe and Ultimate.

If any of these levels do make a comeback, chances are, they will be reforged.

dtb wrote:

I hopelessly got stuck on Impossibility

Try examining your surroundings.

16 (edited by dtb 2014-11-14 00:29:24)

I'm afraid this is going to be lengthy...

First of all thanks for the hint, it put me in the position to make "Impossibility" possible... or rather to overcome it... or you know what wink

I've added replays for some of the Clockwork Beta levels and also reviewed them a bit below. I think I enjoyed Beta all in all more than Alpha for it's way harder and therefore also more captivating in my opinion.

csy2_07
To ride a moving platform with a small, somewhat more slippery ball is always thrilling - and there are almost ONLY moving platforms here!

csy2_08
Always liked road bumps a lot and this new version "with a twist" (actually a few) is even better than the original: Now it's really bumpy and no more need for me to complain about raising coin limits or so... http://forum.nevercorner.net/viewtopic. … 014#p25014

csy2_11
Actually my favourite level of Beta, only in the end of the level there's already too much time left I think - perhaps the total number of clocks that can be collected should be reduced

csy2_III
To be honest I don't like this much and I wished you could've taken Dragon Slope instead of this for serving as the race-type-level in your set: 5 rounds are just way too much (all coins are usually collected after 3) and then there are only a few points where you can dare to speed up for a moment before you reach another tight curve - so what kind of race...

csy2_15
I definitely love your Warp Zone levels, I think they added something completely new to the game. Clocks and the natural stress of such a level also make an interesting combination, I think.
I always wanted to play this long version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb39puGSAOc
I guess csy2_15 must be somewhere between old Warp Zone II and III, right?

Cheers

dtb

Post's attachments

csy2-07_01.nbr 1.63 mb, 57 downloads since 2014-11-13 

csy2-08_01.nbr 3.23 mb, 57 downloads since 2014-11-13 

csy2-11_02.nbr 1.75 mb, 64 downloads since 2014-11-13 

csy2-15_02.nbr 723.8 kb, 60 downloads since 2014-11-13 

csy2-III_02.nbr 2.42 mb, 62 downloads since 2014-11-13 

17 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2014-11-15 19:33:08)

dtb wrote:

First of all thanks for the hint, it put me in the position to make "Impossibility" possible... wink

Sure, no problem. Finding the right balance in terms of how powerful to give a hint was not easy. Still, I will be making it ever so slightly more obvious on the next release.

dtb wrote:

I think I enjoyed Beta all in all more than Alpha for it's way harder and therefore also more captivating in my opinion.

I knew that Clockwork Alpha, being a fairly easy set as it was before, would be even easier after the enhancements I had given it. Thus, I felt that keeping some of Clockwork Beta was essential.

My lack of skill was the reason I originally stepped into level design in the first place. Even now, I never finished Tour de Force, having been defeated on Climb (level 19)!

dtb wrote:

csy2_07
To ride a moving platform with a small, somewhat more slippery ball is always thrilling - and there are almost ONLY moving platforms here!

It is very suspenseful, because your ball control is very important. I'm glad I was able to keep this in Remix, thanks to music tracks 2 and 5 conveniently carrying the same BPM.

dtb wrote:

Always liked road bumps a lot and this new version "with a twist" (actually a few) is even better than the original...

I'm glad I successfully salvaged this level, having gone from too simple to exciting.

dtb wrote:

csy2_11
Actually my favourite level of Beta, only in the end of the level there's already too much time left I think...

I had a lot of trouble with this level under 100% conditions. My best 100% run was 2:07.05, and you have utterly obliterated it! Toning down the extra time will not be easy...

dtb wrote:

csy2_III
To be honest I don't like this much and I wished you could've taken Dragon Slope instead of this for serving as the race-type-level in your set...

Thanks for your concerns. When I get around to it, I will revive Dragon Slope (with potential enhancements), replacing Retro Port Town in the process.

I still have the old Forever sets around, thanks to Mac and novice *nix users being unable to update to 1.6.0

dtb wrote:

I definitely love your Warp Zone levels...
I always wanted to play this long version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb39puGSAOc

Although I have originally lost Warp Zone III's layout to time, I have managed to retrieve it from the ancient (and potentially insecure) repository. Considering that this will be the new final normal level, this would have been the perfect layout to use with the panic inducing Warp Zone II.

I will stream playing through the Clockwork Remix set tomorrow at 17:00 CET (so in about 14 hours).

Compare your local time

Here is my twitch

After the level set, I will take a look at the custom build as well. See you guys there!

I have a question about these map packs and mods. What is the license? I know that the maps are open source, but as they have no license, I must assume all rights reserved unless proven otherwise. Can you post a license for your stuff?

20 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2015-03-03 02:17:35)

The custom Clockwork build is distributed under the terms of the GNU GPL, which is included in its packages. This is required because this is a modification of vanilla Neverball, which is also distributed under the same license. This does not necessarily apply to the Clockwork Remix set, because that is intended to be compatible with vanilla builds.

Concerns regarding other works is understandable due to the way copyright works, so I will clarify licensing when I get around to them.

I wasn't talking about the custom Clockwork build. I guessed as much. I was only referring to the map packs.

Yikes! I just realized I left with a bit too much silence...

Anyway, I have contemplated on licensing, and decided that it makes little (if any) sense to deviate from the GPL on any of the map packs, given that it could cause problems with integration as an official expansion to Neverball proper.

Still, it makes me wonder if I have to repackage these just to include a copy of the GPL... It does not help that, ever since overhauling these maps, my energy seems to have worn off.

23 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2015-05-28 14:35:09)

Using my recently renewed energy, I have managed to update the custom Clockwork build, with further enhancements.

* All clock items are now colored pink to help distinguish them at a distance. The denominations given are still printed on the clocks themselves, and they produce a preliminary sound effect
* Two new levels, Daisy Chain and Web Tree, have been added to Clockwork Alpha
* Speed Jumps and Rocket Ride have been transferred to Clockwork Beta, with the latter having been redone to pose a greater challenge
* Warp Zone II has also been redone, significantly increasing the ante
* Retro Port Town is no more. I am not satisfied with it, and I have not been able to come up with ideas on replacing it
* The game clock now counts down correctly at ten minutes and above

24 (edited by dtb 2015-05-20 21:06:03)

Challenge Space Yard wrote:

* Retro Port Town is no more. I am not satisfied with it, and I have not been able to come up with ideas on replacing it...

Hi,
really enjoyed playing through the renewed sets.

Some personal achievements:

Web Tree - all coins in less than 3 minutes
Bonus V - fast unlock in about 15 secs
Dance Dance Neverball (still my personal favourite) - improved time for all coins (and for now I'm sure I can't do any better than this)
Warp Zone II - made it to the goal somehow ;-)

As for replacing Retro Port Town, didn't you plan to "revive Dragon Slope in the process"?

Cheers

dtb

Post's attachments

csy2-13_04.nbr 1.59 mb, 55 downloads since 2015-05-20 

25 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2015-05-21 00:28:09)

dtb wrote:

didn't you plan to "revive Dragon Slope in the process"?

Yes, I considered reviving or, if necessary, rebuilding Dragon Slope... Still have not been able to come up with any solid ideas, and I didn't want my intermediate work to go to waste, either.

Congrats on finishing the updated Warp Zone II. This level was a beast for me to balance basing it on the old Warp Zone III's layout.