1 (edited by kinnikunky 2014-10-31 06:36:13)

Topic: Developing a new Never/Monkeyball like game. Looking for input :)

Hi,  my name is Sean and I'm just starting development on a new rollerball game.  I've been playing this genre since Marble Madness and Super Monkey Ball was one of my all time favorite games.  For a long time I've wanted to try my hand at making my own version with a few key differences.  wink

Seeing as (imho) this game is pretty much the best game in the genre,  I felt this might be the best place to first start looking for advice/input/critique ect...

So, I'd like to ask you all,  if you could have ANYTHING you wanted in a rollerball game, what would it be?

Floor tilting goes without saying.  smile

Also, is this a good place to be discussing this?  Does anyone have any segestions of other places I should look for input from?

If there is interest, I'll start posting the features I've allready implimented, or plan to, but I'd really love to hear everyone elses ideas first!  Here is a screenshot... more to come  smile 

Edit:  I'm having alot of trouble posting the image here.. I tried attaching it and that worked but I can't link to it (0 links alowd)   Anyone know how I do this?

Post's attachments

LowPolyBall3.jpg 220.19 kb, 47 downloads since 2014-10-30 

Re: Developing a new Never/Monkeyball like game. Looking for input :)

One more screen..    As you can see, this is already imagined to be quite different from the traditional roller, so I'm not sure how it will be recieved by the comunity.  Neverball's formula is tried and true and can never be replaced.

Post's attachments

lowpoly8.jpg 51.56 kb, 38 downloads since 2014-11-01 

There's not much going on here - seems as if even the spam is staying away from the forums these days hmm

Here are just some words that came to my head, perhaps it's good input for you:

Long tunnels
Narrow rails
Underwater motion/altered friction (if you planning to use some)
Labyrinth on uneven ground
Passages to be solved by jumping on the backs of thwomps (Krabby Krap did some) or similar rodeo-stuff
...and finally a complete adaption of my favourite Darda racing course:
http://s1.blomedia.pl/gadzetomania.pl/i … a-Bahn.jpg

Cheers
dtb

4 (edited by kinnikunky 2014-11-04 14:05:10)

Excellent!  I'm still in the phases of engine building, so most content stuff is planned and pending. 

Tunnels and dodging could be fun... maybe a spiral tunnel into the earth?

Narrow rails are a given.  A rainbow rail was one idea.   

Right now there is water that you float and bob around on / in.. but if I make the ball heavyer it will sink and move slower / flowyierr..  So, def ball weight is on the table.  (Included an image with water in view)   Extra weight to access deeper water sounds awesome! smile

The labyrinth is my fav idea.. and I'm surprised I hadn't thought of that yet as I'm ussually really into mazes.  I guess I'm going to have to do some procedual generation after all... I have made maze algoritms before.   ;p hmmm.  At the very least there will be a very pretty hedge maze.

Rodeo...  Oh how frustrating!  big_smile  Yeah, good idea.  I'm at a loss for ways to integrate that into a setting tho.  ??  Oh, I did like the idea of having a circus....  still not sure how the pop up blocks could fit stylisticly, but I'll keep thinking.

As for the track...  my eyes went cross as soon as I could see again.  Yeah, I should look at spline editing to see if I can make loopy tracks easily.  I'll report back on that.

Thank you for the ideas!  It's too bad it's so quite here.. Neverball is one of my all time favs, I was really hoping more peeps would be on here.

I'll drop one simple feature I've been enjoying alot, that I'm yet to see in a floor tilt roller; multiplayer. Works nicely right now and I hope it'll expand nicely as well.  I've only tested it with 2 players but it runs smoothly and accurate as ever with client side authority.    I always wondered why there was never a full multiplayer monkeyball clone?

Any more ideas?  Esp big dreamy ones that require early planning!  Content is awesome too and good to think about for design later.  Big gameplay ideas will be implimented first tho, so if anyone has any, I'm down to test things out and post my results here.

Thanks again dtb!  Any more pop up?
sean

Post's attachments

LowPolyBall1s.jpg 174.51 kb, 46 downloads since 2014-11-04 

I also look forward to seeing how this one will evolve. After all, you have to start somewhere...

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

is there a place I can download it and try it or no?

7 (edited by kinnikunky 2014-11-06 09:38:35)

Hey!  Thanks for the support all.  smile   As for downloads, I'd like to have a tech demo to let a few select peeps try out and get thier oppinions on a few things.  It may be another month or so before I'd have enought content to really get any ideas from..  If you'd like, armanelgtron (or anyone else?), I'll send you a PM when I have something to share?

Yesterday I improved the controls, fixing rotational 'things' so they don't jar the ball as much, added better bouyancy and... dun dun dun...

Spoiler

added a pirate ship!

Ieght,  I must reiterate,  if anyone's got some outlandish (or practical)  *ideas*, please put it up!  Especialy if it requires adding engine elements (like physics things,  control schemes, gameplay elements.. ect)

Hey, can anyone tell me if my pictures are coming though ok?

@dtb:   I'm looking at adding 'tracks' soon.  I found some really nice looking spline assets that are pretty cheap, so I'll try and up some pics of loopy Darda action soon!

Post's attachments

LowPolyBallPirate.jpg 307.37 kb, 49 downloads since 2014-11-06 

...straight out of the think-tank:

Sort of "flexible" rails that also can let the ball fall through (at least in some situations or depending on certain behaviour e.g. like slowing down too much)

9 (edited by dtb 2014-11-06 23:46:38)

kinnikunky wrote:

...Hey, can anyone tell me if my pictures are coming though ok?...

they can be viewed by logged in forum users

Cool, thanks.  That's good, as I dont really want the pictures to be fully public yet.

I'm not sure if I follow your flexy-rails idea..  Do you mean like the 'rails' above a pinball table, that the ball follows back to the flippers?  So for 'flexiable rails' if you go too fast around a corner, or go to slow on a straight (as an example), they flex apart and the ball falls inbetween them?   If that's what you had in mind, I like it!  Only thing I can think of though, is that things like rope or elastic is very cpu intencive in the Unity physics system because it's treated as a whole series of flexible joints (like 20+ objects for one small rope).  This could be suited to mini-game type levels easily, tho, as I won't have all the other parts of the level competing for resources....   Seems you def want the spline editable tracks, and your getting me pretty stoked on it too,  so I'll try to have a system for them up them this upcoming week.  Here's a link to the assest I'll probably buy to easily impliment them:  assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7038

hmmm.. seems I can't post links yet.  hopefully copy paste will work, if you want to see.

the video is pretty dang cool, and this seems to be the most powerful of the plugins availible.  It's cheap too! big_smile

kinnikunky wrote:

...or go to slow on a straight (as an example), they flex apart and the ball falls inbetween them? If that's what you had in mind, I like it!

That's exactly what I had in mind - like "run fast or drop deep..."

Glad you like it!

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Neverforum → Games → Developing a new Never/Monkeyball like game. Looking for input :)

Currently installed 4 official extensions. Copyright © 2003–2009 PunBB.