Topic: Level set page size

I've been thinking, should we increase the number of level sets per page from currently 6 to 7?

There's just about enough room for one more entry, and it would give Tones Levels more exposure (until they're kicked back to the second page again by Nevermania II...). The change would also bring the level set buttons closer to their natural height, i.e., the height they'd have if they weren't stretched to accommodate the set shot.

The downside is that we'd lose the symmetry of having six rows of buttons in both the level set list screen and the individual level set screen.

Re: Level set page size

Nevermania II?!

My only two worries would be that "enough room" actually varies per resolution and also that making the buttons smaller is not beneficial for mobile displays. E.g., as I remember the level selection screen is already totally unusable on a small display.

parasti wrote:

as I remember the level selection screen is already totally unusable on a small display.

Speculating here, but couldn't the case be made that mobile ports of NB may require their own GUI as time goes on and the game makes its way onto those platforms? My only experience to relate this to is web development and the way front-end design has evolved to serve both worlds, but at a certain point tends to split off.

But I guess the point you're making is that having buttons get smaller takes us further away from 'serving both'. The only thing is I can't really see a way to make level selection work on small screens without dumbing down the desktop experience too much.

So, I propose we manufacture a line of signature trademarked Neverball Level-Selection Stylus-Pen. It could come as a free gift with Nuncabola Platinum Support Package.

After much deliberation, I also still stand by keeping six sets to a page.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

parasti wrote:

Nevermania II?!

Just a not-entirely-serious example of how a new level set that's related to one or more existing sets would likely be grouped with the latter, even if it means pushing back other sets. I'd imagine this would also be true for a third Tour de force set, though that doesn't seem to be forthcoming.

My only two worries would be that "enough room" actually varies per resolution and also that making the buttons smaller is not beneficial for mobile displays.

True, the actual amount of room varies a bit, but since both the font size and the set shot size depend on the resolution, I think the proportions are generally kept. As for mobile devices, tones basically expressed the thoughts I had on this topic (quite independently of whether this concrete change would be a good idea or not).

tonesfrommars wrote:

So, I propose we manufacture a line of signature trademarked Neverball Level-Selection Stylus-Pen. It could come as a free gift with Nuncabola Platinum Support Package.

That package already comes with an rlk plush toy, and I cannot possibly afford to give away two free items.

But aside from space concerns, I can see this topic popping up again when another new set ends up on the second page. Perhaps it would be best to focus on the actual problem, which is the highlighting of new sets in the UI.