Re: New coin textures?

We have long since agreed in this thread that the numbers should go and be replaced by the respective currency symbol.

52 (edited by Cheeseness 2014-05-25 00:24:08)

Always nice to have you chime in, rlk.

Is there value in trying to do extra differentiation between the coins though? Long before this thread started, I'd considered bringing up that relying solely on colour might not be a good idea (my red-green deficiencies don't make it difficult for me to discern them, but perhaps it could be an issue with M-cone monochromacy). IMO colour blindness accessibility is something that's too often overlooked in games.

Edit: Added a simulation of M-cone monochromacy as an example.

Post's attachments

m-cone.jpg 101.72 kb, 52 downloads since 2014-05-24 

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Colour blindness is an interesting point to consider. I'm always in favor of accessibility.

In your simulation, blue and red are impossible to distinguish.

Maybe we could work with shapes to solve these, e.g. give them different ridges?

GunChleoc wrote:

Maybe we could work with shapes to solve these, e.g. give them different ridges?

Hardly possible. The best choice would be adding an option that changes the color of the coins to make them distinguishable to color blind people.

~DEV

Sorry, but that image is misleading.

Total monochromacy is found in only 0.00001% of the population. Yes, 8% of men are dichromatic or anomalously trichromatic, but only 0.001% of men fail to distinguish blue. And any user who lacks red or green perception will distinguish red and yellow coins on the basis of luminance, which Cheese's image demonstrates.

In short: yellow, red, and blue are safe choices. If you wish to serve the remaining 1 in 200,000, make it an option instead of redesigning the game around it.

Also, using color to represent denomination is preferable to text as it can be distinguished at great distance.

rlk wrote:

Sorry, but that image is misleading.

The image doesn't claim that that particular type of monochromacy is common. I don't suffer from or know a huge amount about M-cone monochromacy, though, so the image itself may not be a good representation.

rlk wrote:

And any user who lacks red or green perception will distinguish red and yellow coins on the basis of luminance

I do sometimes have difficulty telling the red and yellow coins apart at distance (and once they get down under about 30px, they're pretty much indistinguishable), but I've never really felt like I needed to, which is the main reason I'd not brought it up previously.

rlk wrote:

Also, using color to represent denomination is preferable to text as it can be distinguished at great distance.

To totally agree with this and wasn't meaning to suggest otherwise.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I've just been playing Super Mario Galaxy 2, and I have to say the coins with stars on them are very attractive with non-denominational symbol.

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

58 (edited by dtb 2014-05-26 12:36:33)

...for me there's one obvious question arising by now - why not return to the coins we previously had in 1.5.4?

Indeed why don't we just solve the localization issues and step back to the old-styled localized coins?

~DEV

60 (edited by dtb 2014-05-26 12:38:15)

ht-never wrote:

Indeed why don't we just solve the localization issues and step back to the old-styled localized coins?

Ha! Posted nearly the same comment (similar content) at the same time...

Could it be because we also registered around the same time ?  wink

I agree. If we don't want the numbers, we should just use the older coins.

Here are all of my level contributions. Please test and give constructive criticism.