1 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2015-01-15 16:46:19)

Topic: [Alpha] Neverputt Calendar

Greetings all to the upcoming Neverputt Calendar. This project aims to combine the tightest competition into a dynamic site.

There are still many rough edges, so I consider this to be public alpha. The most notable feature is the ability to compete in the pre-designed and random groups of courses.

Here's a list of features and the state these features are in

• Fully dynamic database containing scores, courses, and accounts (partially implemented)

• Support for random courses, with quarterly rotation. New courses are made available on the first Monday of each month, and generally expire at the end of each quarter (implemented, but on break)

• Flexible filter system of records. Can filter by course or player (implemented)

• Friendships and friend rankings (in planning)

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

Re: [Alpha] Neverputt Calendar

I can't compete with 18 hole-in-one's

hmm

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

3 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2014-04-29 00:43:46)

Agreed. It is incredibly difficult to establish new scores when there has already been so many hole-in-ones, although recent changes have voided a few of them.

Definitely a good reason why I should implement friend rankings (that is, you see how well you compare with your friends).

Update: The first random course "tournament" is now available to play

It appears that Neverputt has had more physics changes than I originally anticipated. In particular, the friction changes necessitate that I modify my timing and slightly decrease power to ace Original hole 11. I am sure there are plenty of other timing related scores that are voided as a result of the friction changes

Here's a clip from the newest update:

Neverputt Calendar wrote:

Recent findings certainly gummed up the works... Thus, there has been a reset of all 1.5.X era entries, as many (if not all) of those solutions are no longer valid.

I still am missing a few more functions before I can promote Neverputt Calendar to beta.

Feel free to correct me, but the friction math hasn't changed unless you're touching a moving surface (relevant commit).

6 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2014-06-07 05:45:59)

Clearly, I need to do additional testing. It is nearly certain that my ancient solution to Original hole 11 may have appeared from a pre-1.5.0 SVN build, or even version 1.4.0.

I still have to decrease my power slightly compared to before in order to ace Original hole 1 in version 1.6.0, otherwise I bounce back out even with the same settings.

Post's attachments

NP-OriginalH1Fail.avi 1.43 mb, 68 downloads since 2014-06-07 

Actually, it looks to me that the vector is slightly beyond the edge of the platform in the fail video, while it's a little short in the other one. While testing I was trying to align the vector to the edge and got both kinds of results. It doesn't seem like a difference in behavior, it's just that there's not a lot of wiggle room there.

8 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2014-06-10 17:41:45)

Indeed, room for error is somewhat limited. Additional testing indicates that the amount of power I used to ace Original hole 1 is actually on the high side with respect to the range acceptable for an ace. Good with respect to movement time, which I now use to break ties in score, but is also the reason I sometimes bounce out now.

If I aim about halfway between the inner and outer side of the rail, then I fall a little short of the cup instead. Increase it to about 65% of the way, favoring the outer side, then I fall in the cup anyway, but this winds up with a slower route.

Update: I have rolled back the reset, so the complete record list is available once more