Topic: Improved MapC please

I was trying to fiddle with making new balls for the game after downloading the PortableApps.com version, as discussed in this post but I found it riddiculously difficult to work with MapC. At first I didn't know where it was or what it does, and then I tried opening it and nada, then I learned that I may or may not need to install the normal build to run MapC, and that I need to use Command Prompt to use it... maybe if I knew how to use command line it'd be easier but I'd think some compile wizard that has buttons instead of command line would be easier to work

Hi everyone, I know we've gathered here from all over, and I'm here to give a speech.
Well, I'm just going to come right out; I have no idea what's going on here. At all.

Re: Improved MapC please

Another user here put together a GUI for mapc. See HERE.

he is an active member of the forum so perhaps he can chime in on it. I don't know if it's functional and if it uses the older mapc or not. But that should get you started.

FWIW when I first got involved with neverball I had no background in CS, it was the thing that got me to dive into using the CLI and eventually tinkering with open source OSes. Our documentation is indeed a bit rusty and it assumes some background with using command line, etc.

Re: Improved MapC please

MikeyZ wrote:

maybe if I knew how to use command line it'd be easier but I'd think some compile wizard that has buttons instead of command line would be easier to work

It's definitely easier to use command line tools if you're familiar with working on a command line, but mapc (no capitalisation, by the way) isn't tricky once you understand what it needs smile

It's important that it behaves the way it does because it's the command we use to build all the maps and balls for the game at compile time. What you're asking for (as tones has identified) isn't an improvment to mapc, but a separate GUI application that uses mapc.

As a command line tool, if it needs any interface improvement, a more descriptive --help message probably wouldn't hurt.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net