Topic: How to make alternate balls?

Hello, I'm new here and I'd like to learn how to make new balls to add to the game. Would someone mind telling me how this works or point out where a tutorial is? It doesn't have to be complicated but something like another version of the basic would be great. Thanks!

Hi everyone, I know we've gathered here from all over, and I'm here to give a speech.
Well, I'm just going to come right out; I have no idea what's going on here. At all.

Re: How to make alternate balls?

MikeyZ wrote:

Hello, I'm new here and I'd like to learn how to make new balls to add to the game. Would someone mind telling me how this works or point out where a tutorial is? It doesn't have to be complicated but something like another version of the basic would be great. Thanks!

I'm going to be making some video tutorials within the next couple of weeks for a presentation I'll be giving at a local LUG at the end of the month.

I've been creating my meshes with Blender, saving them as OBJ with faces triangulated normals exported. There are a couple of lines (mtllib and usemtl) which I've been commenting out.

They're then compiled with mapc.

Depending on what you'd like to make, I'd suggest (in the meantime) starting with one of the existing balls and experimenting with changed meshes, custom textures and UV mapping, and get familiar with the format for the material (extensionless) and .map files.

Edit: I'm going to move this over to the "Other contributions" subforum as that's probably the best place for it smile

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

You da' Man Cheese!

I cannot wait for this... Wait until you see my Sea Urchin !!!

big_smile

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Thanks! Definitely going to watch the video!

Hi everyone, I know we've gathered here from all over, and I'm here to give a speech.
Well, I'm just going to come right out; I have no idea what's going on here. At all.

Alrighty, looks like I'm not going to have my tutorials up and happening before the end of the year, but here's a look at the balls a created (and then re-creaetd) for the LUG talk I gave on the weekend just gone.

I'll most likely use them as examples in my tutorials smile

Catseye Ball
Freedom 7 Ball
Earth ball reskin
Tech ball

The rocket one has interesting origins. I was originally inspired to create it by an anecdote that rlk shared with me following the interview I did with him last year where he said that the Mercury-Redstone rocket markings had inspired Neverball's original ball skin, and was in part an homage to Langley where he spent some time working.

The "tech ball" is a pendulum like Blinky and hovers mysteriously around, assimilating coins.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Really cool! Can we download these anywhere?

MikeyZ wrote:

Really cool! Can we download these anywhere?

Not yet! I'll make a github repo for them to go along with the tutorial. I'm not certain that they're necessarily The Right Stuff to end up in the game itself - they're all hurriedly made and not very polished ^_^

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

As promised, downloads and a tutorial video are up and can be found here.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net