Topic: Language Poll

Because there has been a long topic about whether or not we should only use English to communicate, I have created this poll. The poll will run for two weeks, at the end of which we should decide what to do.

Here are all of my level contributions. Please test and give constructive criticism.

Re: Language Poll

I think that the perfect thing to do would be to say what Cheeseness said, which is that not everyone can speak other languages.

Here are all of my level contributions. Please test and give constructive criticism.

This is not what that discussion was about. No good will come of this poll.

rlk wrote:

This is not what that discussion was about. No good will come of this poll.

The purpose of this poll is to decide what to do moving forwards, and I think that it's pretty clear now based on the results so far.

Yes, the clear outcome is: Continue to do exactly what we've been doing all along, which is what any reasonable and tolerant community would do. If I had had any expectation that people's opinions were out of alignment with that, then I would have countermanded them using whatever executive fiat I still retain.

I intended to get a vote on whether or not we can say that people have to speak only English. And I got what was intended. The poll's already closed (for some reason), so this thread might as well be closed now as well.

To maybe give some clarification on what I think rlk's angle here is, sometimes a simple poll isn't the best way to derive consensus. Polls themselves don't let people explore ideas that didn't occur to them in the way that discussion does (and we already had discussion going elsewhere).

Things that look like voting can be confrontational - they look like decision making tools and can put pressure on topics where pressure isn't what's needed.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Cheeseness wrote:

Things that look like voting can be confrontational - they look like decision making tools and can put pressure on topics where pressure isn't what's needed.

Ahh, I get it.

deberiamos inventar la lengua Neverball!!!:
Hola:Nev
Chau:erball
pelota:ballerv
correr:wawa
jajajaja

we should invent the language Neverball!:
Hello: Nev
bye: erball
ball: ballerv
run: wawa