1 (edited by GunChleoc 2013-11-24 11:07:18)

Topic: Put translations on Launchpad or Transifex?

Since the move to Github is done and dusted, how about opening an official translation project on https://launchpad.net/ or https://www.transifex.com/?

• This would help with recruiting new translators.

• This would make it easier for translators to keep track of updates. I'd personally prefer Transifex, because you can set it to send you an e-mail when the source file changes.

If somebody of the devs would set up a project and link the .pot file, I'd be happy to help with uploading the translations.

Re: Put translations on Launchpad or Transifex?

I created a project and updated the POT file. Here are the links to both. Let me know what else you need.

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/neverball/

https://github.com/Neverball/neverball/ … erball.pot

You need to give me powers on the project so I can upload resources. I am GunChleoc over there as well. I have sent a language request, so it's easier for you to identify my profile.

I've added you as a maintainer.

5 (edited by GunChleoc 2013-11-30 11:03:47)

Done! I'll open a new thread for translator instructions.

Nice. I'm off to change my email notification settings. tongue

Can you please sticky this thread: http://forum.nevercorner.net/viewtopic.php?id=2741

Done.

Are translations outside of Transifex out of the question now? I haven't looked into it beyond creating the project.

We should keep everything in Transifex for consistency. Transifex allows you to download and upload files though, so you can edit offline in the editor of your chouce.

It's more that I don't want to require people to register on a website to translate. I'm sure I can figure out a way to allow both kinds of translations and just merge/sync them using gettext tools and the Transifex API, but not sure when I'll look at it.

Sure, you can still allow for people to get the file on GitHub and then upload it to Transifex yourself. Transifex has a file upload, that's how I got the existing translations in. AFAIK upload to Transifex simply overwrites the individual translations.

Wait. What happened in this thread?  What is this site and why is it necessary?

Are you moving some aspect of Neverball development to a third party service? Do not rush. While we did move the source hosting to a third party git host, it was an extremely widely-used site that almost all of us used regularly, and even then we didn't adopt it without discussion. But this Transifex thing has come out of nowhere, and I for one have never heard of it.

What aspect of our previous translation effort was insufficient, and how does this site resolve that?

13 (edited by parasti 2013-12-01 15:44:21)

The impression I got was that this would be an option for people that are actively involved in translation efforts elsewhere, are comfortable using a site like this, and would prefer not to change their workflow, and also people who would like to contribute but would rather trade the hassle of setting up an editor and working with PO files with the hassle of registering on a website.

This doesn't affect or obsolete our current translation effort, even though I guess GunChleoc assumed it would.

I picked Transifex over Launchpad because it gives off a good vibe. They are using Github and providing Git-like command line tools. Integrating both workflows should be super easy. But as I said, I don't know when I'll be able to sort that out.

14 (edited by GunChleoc 2013-12-02 10:02:34)

Transifex is just as widely used among translators as Github is among coders. It is not as old as Launchpad, but it has some better functions.

The OS games I am working on that use Transifex are 0 A.D., Frogatto & friends, MegaGlest, and Pioneer.

The OS games I am working on that use Launchpad are Pingus, Stellarium, SuperTuxKart, and Widelands.

What I really like about Transifex is that it tells me when there are new strings or changed to translate. As you see from the above list, I am involved in a sizeable number of projects, so not to have to check the files manually for updates is very important.

And as Parasti said, you can hook it into github and pull updates automatically. This will save time for the devs as well.

I tried out the Transifex command line tool. Needs a Transifex account to do anything, but otherwise it is pretty cool. I pushed a new POT file and pulled translations that people had worked on. One thing that bugs me is that I have to manually add the language description files for new languages to make them selectable in the language screen. Not sure where that info can be scraped from or how it should be handled in general.

You could ask localizers to provide the info when they ask for a language to be added.

I take it you have the info all stored in a config file that can be edited without recompiling? If this is documented, translators can modify their local copy easily to start testing before the language is added officially.

Wikipedia has a pretty long language list with native langage names http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias

Okay, you should add that to your tutorial then. It's just the data/lang/*.txt file that needs to be added.

I actually don't see a lot of translators testing translations locally, since the PO files need to be compiled first.

I spotted on transifex a greek translation that I had never heard of smile A lovely anonymous benefactor left us a gift...

~DEV

I got a request to open a new language a short while ago smile

So we need:
el.txt

name1 Greek
name2 Ελληνικά

parasti wrote:

Okay, you should add that to your tutorial then. It's just the data/lang/*.txt file that needs to be added.

Done.

parasti wrote:

I actually don't see a lot of translators testing translations locally, since the PO files need to be compiled first.

That's really easy to do with Virtaal or Poedit, no need to learn the commandline stuff. I have added the info to the tutorial.

Sweet!

There's also the "font" directive, but most languages won't need that.

I added instructions for the fonts, thanks for pointing that out.

Our standard font seems to support Greek smile