1

Topic: Board rules

Please remove religious advertising from your messages, signature and avatar...

There is no place for that here.

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

2

Re: Board rules

Hi...

I disagree, what Jesus has taught is just as important here as anywhere else.

Regards...

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all!

3

Re: Board rules

That's getting pretty off topic, and there's definitely no place for that here. Go make another thread in the off topic section to discuss it (then I will feel comfortable chiming in ^_^ ).

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

4

Re: Board rules

Take another look at aardvark's post, and tell me there is a place for that here. I'll give him/her a week to change it before reporting it as religious advertising to the mod/s. Just looking at it makes me queasy.

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

5

Re: Board rules

themacmeister wrote:

Take another look at aardvark's post, and tell me there is a place for that here. I'll give him/her a week to change it before reporting it as religious advertising to the mod/s. Just looking at it makes me queasy.

You might as well report it now because I won't be changing it, Lord willing, now or ever.

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all!

6

Re: Board rules

Hi ardvark,

There are no explicit rules here, but it's obviously a place to speak about : Neverball, Neverputt, playing, developing, creating, gaming in general, computer science, anything...  We're very open-minded. What is obviously not included in this list is any kind of propaganda (political, religious...) as it's considered as spam. We have to keep neutral. Other site allow you to speak and argue about those subjects, this board is not one of them.

So please, I ask you to remove from your profile the elements not respecting this simple rule.

Regards

7

Re: Board rules

IMO there's nothing wrong with having a signature reflecting whatever you believe in - but when linking to professional sites of modern missionary-Christianity... well, you know, some of us just don't want to be pointed to 23 minutes in hell or 90 minutes in heaven - I guess that most people around here rather prefer to find out for themeselves

8 (edited by ht-never 2013-08-04 14:41:58)

Re: Board rules

dtb wrote:

[...]but when linking to professional sites of modern missionary-Christianity... well, you know, some of us just don't want to be pointed to 23 minutes in hell or 90 minutes in heaven [...]

I quote this.

I give a lot of respect to Jesus and christianity.

But I have already seen those sites your signature links to, and I reported them all, because they heavily disrispect other religions (Which is something I definitively don't like to see or talk about when I spend my free time chatting about Neverball). Please, don't link this kind of websites.

ardvark wrote:

I disagree, what Jesus has taught is just as important here as anywhere else.

No. What Jesus taught us is important, but you can't talk about it anywhere. There are a lot of places you can talk in about religion teachings.

This forum is meant to talk about other stuff.

Each religion is important for the people who follow it.

~DEV

9

Re: Board rules

My position is that the avatar is appropriate for the board. The link to the Billy Graham site is also in line with common practice for signatures.

However, the PLEASE READ link is not simply propaganda, it is literally spam. It has a profit motive as it promotes the sale of a book.

ardvark wrote:

I disagree, what Jesus has taught is just as important here as anywhere else.

This statement is false, as it is the policy of this and all internet discussion sites to remain on topic, with deviation from topic subject to removal by moderators.

So keep the picture and the jesus.net, but lose the spam and the attitude.

10 (edited by Cheeseness 2013-08-05 01:46:42)

Re: Board rules

Whilst I believe the world would be a better place without institutionalised spirituality, and I can feel where themacmeister is coming from, rlk gets to the heart of what I wanted to say - our avatars and signatures are a form of self expression, and if a person feels the need to define themselves through religious icons and so forth, how is that really different from how we normally use these things anyway?

We're proud of our GOG collections, our standings within the community, and our personal activities. Barring what rlk has to say about the "PLEASE READ" link, I feel that it's uncool to ask somebody to change their signature without requesting that of everybody (I acknowledge that mine is totally gratuitous self promotion and am comfortable losing it if anybody's got any problem with it).

If we're really going to put our collective feet down about signature content (beyond what is objectively identifiable as blatantly offensive or spam), then I think the only course of action would be to disable signatures altogether, since aside from jammnrose, it doesn't seem like anybody has anything that is related to or helpful for Neverball's player and development community.

Finally, it's important to recognise that communities are made up of people who don't always have coinciding beliefs or opinions - it's our diversity that gives us strength and character, and there's no way to avoid differences without becoming less of a community and more of a friends club (even though I would count most of the people here as friends, I would probably not be interested in being involved if Neverball's community weren't an open one). By the same token though, in addition to being welcoming and embracing of people with different outlooks, we also have to be considerate when presenting our own and acknowledge that not everybody is able to appreciate or tolerate some of the things we believe in.

Stay on topic. Consider new threads or the off topic forum for anything that doesn't fit with the current conversation (a rule of thumb that I use is that if I can't include anything relevant in my post in addition to anything else I want to say, then it's not worth saying anything). Be thoughtful. Be receptive. Be respectful. smile

dtb wrote:

90 minutes in heaven

I always thought it was seven minutes in heven.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

11

Re: Board rules

I'm going to chime in here only because I appreciate @ardvark's contributions and participation and I want to reinforce the notion that we are an open-minded and welcoming little community.

My 2 cents:
I agree with rlk that the avatar and first line of @ardvark's signature is acceptable. It speaks to his belief and religious identity (which is fine) and it is relatively neutral and uplifting message.
The second line however strays into the category of proselytizing and feels like a "marketing" call to action IMO, and thus spammy. But more importantly, it is off-topic and I don't think our signatures here should be used to boost web connectivity to sites with agendas which have nothing to do with neverball.

This forum is explicitly focused on one topic and we have the ability to post OT threads here in the flooding category. I would invite @ardvark to comply with Shino's request (the forum administrator) and start a discussion here in the flooding forum.

Thanks!

12

Re: Board rules

tonesfrommars wrote:

This forum is explicitly focused on one topic and we have the ability to post OT threads here in the flooding category. I would invite @ardvark to comply with Shino's request (the forum administrator) and start a discussion here in the flooding forum.

These posts were moved into the OT forum already smile

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

13

Re: Board rules

I have to agree with macmeister. There is no reason to bring up religion in any way on this forum. Religion is a highly sensitive topic which many people feel strongly about, therefore it absolutely does not serve the community's interests to bring it up, more so because this is a worldwide community. This is a place where people come to share their common interest in a video game, not to exercise their freedom of expression. We can be diverse without having to mention our differences at every opportunity.

14 (edited by ardvark 2013-08-05 07:41:17)

Re: Board rules

Hi...

I admit I had a bit of an attitude when I responded to Macmeister's ultimatum. I apologize to you, Macmeister and to you all for my words and ask forgiveness for any offense. Responding in kind, or repaying evil for evil, to perceived insults or actions against me is not something I want to do. smile

I have no regrets about posting the links, my desire was to share the Truth, or Jesus, as I have come to know Him. However, at the same time, I have no desire to make folks feel like I'm "cramming religion" down their throats, so I have removed the second entry concerning hell.

Lastly, I thank you all for this forum and the friendliness I have found here. I don't typically find this in other Linux or open source software forums. smile

Best wishes...

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all!

15

Re: Board rules

Sorry ardvark, I did not mean to be so 'antsy', I was having a rough time at home, and I was viewing the neverforum. A bad combination smile

I appreciate your editing your signature. I have no more problems with it as it is.

Welcome to the NeverForum!!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

16

Re: Board rules

ardvark wrote:

I don't typically find this in other Linux or open source software forums. smile

This part makes me sad.

As always, I'm super proud to be a part of this community ^_^

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

17 (edited by ardvark 2013-08-05 23:40:01)

Re: Board rules

themacmeister wrote:

Sorry ardvark, I did not mean to be so 'antsy', I was having a rough time at home, and I was viewing the neverforum. A bad combination smile

Not a problem, we all have all had those moments! smile

Regards...

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all!