Re: SDL2 port

Elviz wrote:

I guess that being on Windows, I have been spared most of the fullscreen trouble that exists on other platforms.

Mostly true, but I think it's both being on Windows and not having a multi-monitor setup. Quite a few Windows games are doing "borderless window" fullscreen now exactly because the classic mode switching leaves a lot to be desired when you're trying to use other monitors while simultaneously being in-game.

Unfortunately, even with scaling, the new system doesn't allow for running the game at something higher than the desktop resolution

Also true, but that sounds like a hypothetical use case. (Do you actually do this? I mean, run your desktop at a lower-than-native resolution? Or is this on a CRT, where you can actually run at higher-than-recommended, so you do that for games?)

parasti wrote:

Quite a few Windows games are doing "borderless window" fullscreen now exactly because the classic mode switching leaves a lot to be desired when you're trying to use other monitors while simultaneously being in-game.

Ah, I see. Didn't really take that case into account.

Do you actually do this? I mean, run your desktop at a lower-than-native resolution?

Yes. Using my LCD's native resolution, stuff on the screen is too tiny, and while I could change the DPI setting, simply lowering the resolution gives better results. I hope things improve once I move on to a newer OS, though applications also have to do their part in scaling all screen elements smoothly (not just fonts). With games like Neverball there's no problem because increasing the resolution doesn't make the content smaller, only more detailed.

Elviz wrote:
parasti wrote:

Do you actually do this? I mean, run your desktop at a lower-than-native resolution?

Yes. Using my LCD's native resolution, stuff on the screen is too tiny, and while I could change the DPI setting, simply lowering the resolution gives better results.

I've always found the lack of sharpness when running anything other than native to give a hugely poorer experience than upping DPI. My mind is boggled big_smile

I don't have much to contribute to this discussion, but I can try to poke some other SDL2 developers about the Gnome Shell activities overlay scaled window issue if you guys want.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

In the SVN log, parasti wrote:

Restore sounds on text input with keyboard

This works, but now two two sounds sounds are played when clicking the character buttons or the "<" button, or pressing Backspace. In most cases the second sound will preempt the first one, but sometimes both are heard.

Whoops! Whoops!