1 (edited by ardvark 2013-06-16 16:57:45)

Topic: (SOLVED) Music files...

Hi all...

A friend of mine loves the music in neverputt and expressed interest in getting a copy of them on an audio CD to listen to. Is it permissible under the GPL to extract the files from the source code and burn him a copy?

I had a look at the license and the section that says, "You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and  disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program," made me wonder. If it is ok, do I need to give him a copy of the source code along with the music?

I appreciate the help. :-)

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all!

Re: (SOLVED) Music files...

Might be possible for the original authors to release the music under CopyLeft's Share-alike license?

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

3 (edited by ardvark 2013-06-15 09:00:08)

themacmeister wrote:

Might be possible for the original authors to release the music under CopyLeft's Share-alike license?

Thanks for the reply and suggestion and my impression from it is that the answer might very well be "no."

This is a possibility (I think I recall it being discussed before). We have multiple artists behind our music tracks (tones has done at least one, and I believe that rlk did most if not all of the others). Rather than a lack of interest, themacmeister's response highlights that those people will need to speak for themselves and it may take a little while for them to respond.

If worst comes to worst, you could include a copy of the source (or a readme with instructions on how to download it?) on the CD in a data partition to meet the requirements of the GPL, I believe.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Cheeseness wrote:

This is a possibility (I think I recall it being discussed before). We have multiple artists behind our music tracks (tones has done at least one, and I believe that rlk did most if not all of the others). Rather than a lack of interest, themacmeister's response highlights that those people will need to speak for themselves and it may take a little while for them to respond.

If worst comes to worst, you could include a copy of the source (or a readme with instructions on how to download it?) on the CD in a data partition to meet the requirements of the GPL, I believe.

Hi...

Thank you for your help. If that is necessary, would the source code on a separate CD be ok?

Regards...

6 (edited by Cheeseness 2013-06-16 00:51:39)

ardvark wrote:
Cheeseness wrote:

Hi...

Thank you for your help. If that is necessary, would the source code on a separate CD be ok?

Regards...

I'm definitely not a GPL expert, and don't have any kind of legal background, but as I interpret it, the idea is that the source (or instructions on how to obtain it) should be distributed with derivatives and that they should never be separated, so that at any point, anybody who has a copy of the work can find the source and make modifications if they want/need to.

The GPL is really designed to cover source code for programs rather than audio assets like this. I'd consider the music to be equivalent to compiled stuff, as it has "sources" (which we currently don't make available so far as I'm aware). Let me have a poke around and see what I can come up with, and maybe get the artists involved to weigh in.

Edit: I want to highlight that whilst I don't want to speak for everybody, I'm pretty confident that our development community would be more than happy for this kind of sharing to happen (we're all super nice, upbeat people). Given the context of your request and that you've taken the time to read through the licencing terms, I feel that there's some value in exploring how we can do this "properly" - I hope it doesn't feel like we don't care (it's more that we're slow ^_^ ), and I, for one, am very appreciative that you asked smile

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Content creators are free to relicense GPL works as they see fit. As the composer of all of the Neverball music except track6, I'm perfectly willing to make the OGGs available under a CC BY-SA license.

The sprit of the GPL would have me distribute the original sources of these OGGs. This exists in the form of Roland Fantom S sequencer files stored on a 128MB SmartMedia card. They're not useful without that hardware, so making them available is probably not useful.

It raises a related issue: The spirit of the GPL would have me distribute the original sources of the texture images as well. They once existed in the form of GIMP XCFs, but they are nearly a decade lost.

In the end, it's the OGGs and the JPEGs that matter. True diligence would have all source be available, but hat ship has sailed. Still, no one would accuse us of being in violation of our own license.

Regardless, please enjoy the music as you see fit.

I'm fine with Share-alike also.
Thanks for visiting the forum and for asking in the first place @aardvark.
Enjoy!

You guys <3

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

10 (edited by ardvark 2013-06-16 07:29:14)

Hi all...

Thank you so much for your time and help!

About asking for permission, you're all more than welcome! In Luke 6:31 (NIV,) our Lord Jesus talks about this, "Do to others as you would have them do to you." I know I wouldn't feel very good having someone stealing and/or doing whatever to my work and not caring about my thoughts or feelings about it. :-)

In addition, I appreciate being able to play what I consider one of the higher quality open-source games out there for free.

So just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, I have permission to use all of the music, including track 6, in a standalone CD without the source code. I can include the source if you prefer, just that I would need someone to show me how you burn both the source code and the music files together in Brasero.

Thanks again!

With tones and rlk agreeing to licence their work under CC BY-SA (version 3 is current), the audio files for themselves can be considered separate things from the game and its source code, which simplifies things a lot ^_^

Should you find yourself wanting to do a data and audio together on a single disc, these instructions should work for Brasero on any distro.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Go for Gherkin!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Cheeseness wrote:

With tones and rlk agreeing to licence their work under CC BY-SA (version 3 is current), the audio files for themselves can be considered separate things from the game and its source code, which simplifies things a lot ^_^

Should you find yourself wanting to do a data and audio together on a single disc, these instructions should work for Brasero on any distro.

Thank you all for your kind help and to tones and rlk for permission to use their music, very much appreciated and I know my friend will appreciate it too! :-)

Regards...

14 (edited by parasti 2013-06-16 17:25:47)

rlk wrote:

but hat ship has sailed.

Never was big on hat stuff anyway.

Speaking of hat ships:

Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch

...what a coincidence - only yesterday when combing through my pretty huge CD collection I came across Zappas "Man from Utopia" (also feat. Steve Vai as the one doing "impossible guitar parts"), while most of that Droodles stuff doesn't really get me I think that this one with that title (!) is just pure genius, thanks for posting and putting a ^_^ on my face

And so we slide into the murky depths of off-topicness big_smile

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I get at least one Zappa tune in my head pretty much every day because his corpus casts such a wide net over all of language. Today it was "Magdalena" after I spread mayonnaise on something. Yesterday I was mentally grooving on "Peaches en Regalia" because "regalia" was a Jeopardy question. I've never even listened to Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch, though of course I know "Valley Girl". Thank heavens for Spotify...

19 (edited by ardvark 2013-07-23 09:23:07)

Hi guys...

Just wanted you to know that my friend loves the music! We were able to get a copy on cassette so he can play it his car. The other day he was sitting at a light and some kids were looking at him probably wondering what he was listening to. Great way to tell about the game, huh? :-)

Regards...

That's great to hear big_smile

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

ROFL, I love it. blasting the neverball soundtrack from a cassette at a stoplight.
I picture it at night (in a brown 60's Chevy Firebird with primer all over it). It's raining. Kids pull up next to the car, driver slowly turns his head, sunglasses at night of course... etc

tonesfrommars wrote:

Kids pull up next to the car, driver slowly turns his head, sunglasses at night of course... etc

This is me.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

23 (edited by ardvark 2013-07-25 00:32:42)

tonesfrommars wrote:

I picture it at night (in a brown 60's Chevy Firebird with primer all over it). It's raining. Kids pull up next to the car, driver slowly turns his head, sunglasses at night of course... etc

Close! It was actually a brown(ish) Cadillac. smile