Topic: Options for kids!

Hi!

I'm new to this forum and am posting an idea I just got today. I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. Neverball seems to be a great way to keep young children occupied. It's a videogame that can be played inside while parents drink coffee and includes no violence or bad language - a perfect babysitter. There is just one problem: the time limit. A six-year-old boy visiting us today loved the game but felt the time limit was a nuisance, he would have wanted to just play with the ball and collect the coins. Every time the time ran out he just skipped to the next level as he was irritated by the time running out and eventually I had to leave my coffee and play Battleship with him.

I understand this might be against the purpose of the game. One other thing that some developer with extra time in his hands could do is a Childrens level with easy maps and with no time limit and only a limited number of ways to drop off the board (which, understandably, was another reason for skipping levels). These easy maps would also be a good place for new mappers to develop their skills.

What do you think?

Re: Options for kids!

It has been already proposed to add to the cheat mode an option to freeze the time. I don't think this is so helpful, in my honest opinion hmm

~DEV

Actually, if we had the tutorial/training levels we've discussed earlier, having no time limit would be a very important factor.

I can also see a large, freeform series of obstacle courses/skill building levels being enjoyable with large/no time limits.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

The time limit is optional. You can make maps that have increasing time (though the maximum is probably no longer than 10 minutes).

FWIW, I think this idea should be viewed differently, i.e., as an activity for a parent to make a custom level set for their kid. As a developer and not being a parent, I am making a game for myself. It should be up to the parent to make a game for (or even with) their kids.

Our level design tools aren't the greatest, but I don't believe they are particularly difficult to learn and I've been working to improve the situation for the next Neverball version. Any mapping-related questions posted here usually get answered fairly quickly. I recommend giving it a try, we definitely need more mappers. smile

parasti wrote:

FWIW, I think this idea should be viewed differently, i.e., as an activity for a parent to make a custom level set for their kid. As a developer and not being a parent, I am making a game for myself. It should be up to the parent to make a game for (or even with) their kids.

I can totally see collaborative mapping being an enjoyable parent/child activity.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Cheeseness wrote:

I can totally see collaborative mapping being an enjoyable parent/child activity.

I'd love a world in which parents map custom levelsets with their children. Unluckily, I don't think is possible in this planet. :-)

~DEV

ht-never wrote:

I'd love a world in which parents map custom levelsets with their children. Unluckily, I don't think is possible in this planet. :-)

I'm glad I live on a different planet to you then. I spent lots of time making stuff with my parents when I was growing up (heck, I'm 30, and I still invite my Dad around to play computer games and build lego models) :b

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I'm not talking about me hmm

~DEV

9 (edited by MikeyZ 2014-01-02 19:21:56)

Have an idea, what if a time freezer powerup were implemented, and there were gates that only render if you have a variant of said powerup activated? Like bowling bumpers?

Hi everyone, I know we've gathered here from all over, and I'm here to give a speech.
Well, I'm just going to come right out; I have no idea what's going on here. At all.