Topic: They're waiting for you Gordon...

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Re: They're waiting for you Gordon...

Already? I thought we were at least another six months off seeing that. Too many games to play D:

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

This is the most exciting game-related news for a long time. I don't think we will be able to download it, as everyone will try downloading it immediately.

Nitronic Rush had a similar problem when it went viral. Check it out if you run Windows 7 -> http://nitronic-rush.com/

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Oh cool - a remake of Half life 1? I remember playing that when it came out, at least part way through. I'm not a huge fan of FPS games, but I may have to try this out!

It's out! (Actually for a day already.)

I'm only an hour or so in the game, but so far it's been really quite good and Half-Life-ish.

Does it deviate from the original game at all? HL 1 didn't really grab me when I played it a decade or so ago.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I don't remember HL all that well, but they seem to stick to the original feel and story faithfully.

I'm curious, though. If HL didn't interest you, did any of the HL games ever did (and what made the difference)?

8 (edited by Cheeseness 2012-09-16 08:18:34)

parasti wrote:

I'm curious, though. If HL didn't interest you, did any of the HL games ever did (and what made the difference)?

HL2 and its episodes have a lot more in terms of presentation of story and atmospherics (from how I remember HL1 being). HL1 didn't seem to have the number of puzzles/variation in gameplay either (my memories of HL1's gameplay are of a pretty bland FPS, although I did appreciate the long intro).

Edit: "Bland" is probably too harsh. Run-of-the-mill or "samey" might be more accurate.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I just played an hour or two and wow, they did a *great* job recreating HL1. It's beautiful, and the voice acting and animations are great. I just hate the linearity, though. Same reason I stopped playing HL1. Figure out a puzzle, move on, figure the next, move on. That would actually be enjoyable, if it weren't for the barrage of mindless enemies, and the standard get bigger guns, get more ammo, typical FPS stuff. Maybe I'd enjoy it more, if I got further in the game... problem is, I can't really stand to get too far.

I far prefer the late ninties classics - Thief: The Dark Project and Thief: The Metal Age (much more divergent gameplay; they made FPS stand for First Person Sneaker - *avoid* confrontation, no killing allowed on expert levels) - in fact I still play them occasionally today! There's a thriving community of fans with hundreds of missions, some far exceeding the quality of the originals. ttlg.com for anyone that cares.

Still, it was really cool to see the updated Half-Life opening. Like Cheese, I enjoy the long intro, with the glimpses of life in the Research Facility - probably one of my favorite parts of the game (though who am I to talk?!)

Dave wrote:

Thief: The Metal Age

One of my favourite FPS games of all time. I'd definitely take that over HL1 any day. By the way, whilst we're slightly off topic, have you heard of The Dark Mod?

Dave wrote:

probably one of my favorite parts of the game (though who am I to talk?!)

Someone with good taste :b

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Yes, I bought Doom 3 *just* to play the Dark Mod... I think it's very well executed - but nothing beats Stephen Russell's voice for the protagonist. So world-weary and cynical - the perfect Garrett. What you may not know is that he also voiced "Father Karras" of the Mechanists, and Benny the guard (the funny drunken one). He is a great voice actor!

(Sorry about derailing this thread...)

Wow, you guys are pretty mean to an old classic. Did either of you ever get to Xen? That part alone blew my mind like no other game ever had, and I played the first game AFTER the second (actually beat it in one sitting just after I was done with the second game). It also introduced a few of the signature Valve things that they've reused to great effect in the later games (including the mood-setting opening scene). That alone has to be worth more than being called a "bland FPS".

Haven't played Thief. (I've been meaning to pick it up someday.) I do enjoy sneaking around, though I always end up wanting to replay a section over and over until nobody ever sees me coming.

And speaking of The Dark Mod, for a really long time I've had this silly idea of adding Doom 3 map support to mapc, just so people could attempt to use DarkRadiant for Neverball mapping. DR seems to have some awesome features, but alas, seems to be another editor on the verge of being abandoned (much like Neverball from an outside perspective, I guess).

parasti wrote:

Wow, you guys are pretty mean to an old classic.

This is simply not the case. I'm relaying my impressions from playing it before it became a "classic". I'm not an FPS fanatic, and I never was. There was nothing that I saw in Half-Life that made me say "MAN, this is the best FPS I've ever played. I'm going to take this style of game more seriously now!" IIRC, I played Curse of Monkey Island immediately after it, and found that to be vastly more engaging and entertaining.

I'm not saying it was bad, just that it wasn't amazing.

parasti wrote:

Did either of you ever get to Xen?

I completed the game in my first playthrough. I played it immediately after several other FPS games that were released within +/- 2 years (I had a bit of a game marathon and played through maybe a dozen games in the space of a week), and didn't really find a lot that differentiated it or made it more appealing. I may have been missing something, but that was my experience at the time.

That alone has to be worth more than being called a "bland FPS".

I guess you didn't read my edit to that post then.

Haven't played Thief. (I've been meaning to pick it up someday.) I do enjoy sneaking around, though I always end up wanting to replay a section over and over until nobody ever sees me coming.

Thief is of a similar vintage, and trumps HL1 in terms of gameplay, IMO.

And speaking of The Dark Mod, for a really long time I've had this silly idea of adding Doom 3 map support to mapc, just so people could attempt to use DarkRadiant for Neverball mapping. DR seems to have some awesome features, but alas, seems to be another editor on the verge of being abandoned (much like Neverball from an outside perspective, I guess).

This would be neat. Is that what the TDM people are using for mapping?

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Unfortunately, there is no Xen in this release of Black Mesa Source.

Bummer.

I find it very "samey" too, but it is woefully dated as a game. System Shock 2 was meant to be the pinnacle of gaming, story and gameplay wise, and it reminds me a lot of H-L.

Currently Playing:

First post after 4 years of just peering from the rafters. Xen is the best part of HL1. Here is to hoping we return there in HL3.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ---Oscar Wilde

@Oddball, get down from there! :-)

In the same vein as the remake of HL1, Has anyone played Wolfram? It is a fan remake of Episode 1 (All 10 levels BTW) of Wolfenstein 3-D. It's good for what its worth (free). I heard their  going to be doing the same treatment to the other episodes as well.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ---Oscar Wilde

HL was the best FPS if its time when it came out. It clearly was one of the first FPS that had an ambiance to it. Things have changed a bit and I think nostalgy comes into play, especially for the ones that worked on the remake for years and years with only slightly modifications to the storyline... but even if you don't know HL, it's still a decent old-scholl FPS that you can get for free

I wouldn't buy Doom 3 BFG for example, it's a bad remake for a FPS that was barely ok-ish when it went out. And it's like 30$...

Nigo wrote:

but even if you don't know HL, it's still a decent old-scholl FPS that you can get for free

Where can you get it for free? Or do you mean Black Mesa Source?

Nigo wrote:

I wouldn't buy Doom 3 BFG for example, it's a bad remake for a FPS that was barely ok-ish when it went out. And it's like 30$...

And it's getting a source release (justification enough to support it for me).

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

20 (edited by Nigo 2012-10-29 13:22:42)

yes I meant Black Mesa, why would I play HL1 now ?
even though Black Mesa is not the best looking FPS today, it a HUGE enhancement from HL1 smile

Nigo wrote:

I think it's important to maintain the distinction between the two wink

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Nigo wrote:

Genuinely good games have always depended on gameplay, not graphics. So, if HL1 was really as great a game as you are saying it was, there would be a vibrant, active community, still playing it, regardless of being graphically "inferior". I refer again to the Thief series, by Looking Glass Studios, which came out around the same time as HL1, and has admittedly worse graphics than HL1, yet has gameplay that is truly immersive, engaging and emergent, which is why it *does* have a vibrant, active community, even today, a dozen years after it's release. Thousands upon thousands of players still playing a game, which, when compared to modern FPS games, looks terrible, but still completely blows them away when it comes to gameplay and replayability.

Ok, enough of my tirade. I'm always impressed by good graphics for the first five minutes, and then when I realize that it's just the same lame gameplay wrapped up in a prettier package, I immediately lose interest. That sums up my experience with both HL1 and Black Mesa Source (not surprisingly), as well as most popular FPS style games. Whoops, I meant to be done with my tirade... signing off, then!

Well, to be honest, I stopped playing Black Mesa an hour or two in. As great an impression as HL had on me and as much as I was looking forward to BM, it's not a game I'd want to replay these days. BM guys have done an incredible job, though.

I also bought Thief Gold on GOG, but didn' t even get through the first mission; modern FPS controls seem to have spoiled me too much.

Didn't expect you guys to bury HL into the ground, though. Why you so mean. ;_;

I don't know about HL1's community but I'm pretty sure they all moved to HL2 and Source (except for Counter Strike but for other reasons) since the gameplay has been improved as well as the graphics. HL2's gameplay makes me think about the gravity gun, what a load of fun smile

I will have a look at Thief though
Looking Glass Studios reminds me of Flight Unlimited 1 to 3. That was a proper flight simulator with incredible graphics at the time

HL2 (+ episodes) just blew my mind. I have never cried playing a game, but I cried at the end of Episode 2.

I pray that HL2-Ep3 will be a full game, not episode length!

Currently Playing: